MFC-Edit 3.5 auto-update

wga

MFC-Edit 3.5 (built on Tuesday 21 July 2015 21:12) on Mac prompted for an update to 3.4 (build 2772). When I accept the update, a file is downloaded, and another MFC-Edit window is opened, but again, prompts for the same new version! Seems to be stuck in a loop.

BTW, the "3.4 build 2772" is probably a typo, I guess It should read "3.5 build 2772".

I finally downloaded the full MFC-Edit zip file from shop.fractalaudio.com again to get the last version. Everything is fine now :)

Best,
Wilfred

Thanks Wilfred. I take a look at that. Sorry for the trouble.

Yup - you are correct. Fixed it!
-G

Reactions: wga
Hi Gary,

MFC-Edit 3.5 build 2772 prompted for an update to build 2774, and the same recursive loop happened ... is it just me? :roll
Downloading the full zip fixed the problem ...

Cheers!
Wilfred

Yup. It's just you :).

I just tested that here. Are you on Mavericks or Yosemite? I just tested it on Mavericks (10.9.5).

UPDATE: Tested okay on Yosemite also.

2nd UPDATE: Make sure that you have rwx permissions on the MFC-101 folder and its contents in your home folder. You can open an Terminal window and execute this command to be sure:

chmod -R +rwx ~/MFC-101

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

Thank you for your help. I'm on Yosemite 10.10.4

Well, the "~/MFC-101" is a default value. Since it is possible to specify the MFC home location, I changed it (mine is ~/Documents/FractalAudio/MFC-101). Would it be the reason why the upgrade fails? I checked the filesystem permissions on that directory, everything is fine.

Best regards,
Wilfred

PS: Maybe I'm the only one that changed the "default" MFC-Edit UserHome folder ...

Last edited:
Hi;
Yes, that sounds likely. I'll take a look at the code tonight and if that is the problem I'll enhance it. Could you please open a support ticket and copy/paste the contents of the Error Log on the EXTRAS page of MFC-Edit for me? So I can see where it's looking - there'll be some debug there.
Thanks

Hi;
Yes, that sounds likely. I'll take a look at the code tonight and if that is the problem I'll enhance it. Could you please open a support ticket and copy/paste the contents of the Error Log on the EXTRAS page of MFC-Edit for me? So I can see where it's looking - there'll be some debug there.
Thanks

Nope. That's not it. Tested it on my lunch break. Works fine with a different home folder.

Hi Gary,

MFC-Edit 3.5 build 2772 prompted for an update to build 2774, and the same recursive loop happened ... is it just me? :roll
Downloading the full zip fixed the problem ...

Cheers!
Wilfred

Where do you download the zip?

I get the update prompt but the app just shows me that it finished downloading and points to an empty location. Most of the time. Sometimes it starts downloading but gets stuck forever at 0%. And I can't even check firewall settings and such because its a Java applet.

<rant> Java must die already, especially for commercial software</rant>

I get the update prompt but the app just shows me that it finished downloading and points to an empty location. Most of the time. Sometimes it starts downloading but gets stuck forever at 0%. And I can't even check firewall settings and such because its a Java applet.

Hi vangrieg,

I download the full zip from https://shop.fractalaudio.com.
Login to your account -> order history -> follow links to download MFC-Edit.

Cheers,
Wilfred

Hi;
Thanks

Hi Gary,

I just opened a support ticket with the log.

Cheers,
Wilfred

Sorry about your difficulties vangrieg.

It uses a simple URL. It's standard URL on the standard HTTP port. Nothing esoteric. Aside from the security/anti-spam/anti-malware on your computer there could be many reasons between your computer and the servers that interfere with your connection. Since you are connecting from Moscow, Russia, there may be some ISP interference with your connection requests. Open a ticket if you can't get the update at all and I'll help you out. It looks like you're still on MFC-Edit Windows, 3.4 build #2729.

Yes, that's exactly right, I couldn't update MFC-Edit since I purchased it.

I submitted the ticket. Been sort of curious about it - the support page states that the FAS ticket system is only for those who purchased their products directly from them, otherwise I should contact the dealer who I purchased it from. Which means no support in my case cause those guys are useless for anything that doesn't require physical repairs. I guess I did purchase MFC-Edit directly from Fractal, but how does it work for other products?

Direct link worked perfectly, so I guess it is an issue with the god forsaken Java. I may have done something to block it from accessing the internet a while ago but cannot for the life of me remember now.

Direct link worked perfectly, so I guess it is an issue with the god forsaken Java. I may have done something to block it from accessing the internet a while ago but cannot for the life of me remember now.

Newer versions of Java have been made "more secure" - Oracle, in their infinite wisdom default all the security settings to maximum meaning that lot of stuff doesn't work from a "plain install". For example, out of the box, cut and paste are disabled! I'm not sure who came up with that brilliant idea. Anyway, that being said, there are very, very few people with MFC-Edit that experience a problem because of the Java. Any other language will also have its foibles and issues as well so c'est la vie.

MFC-Edit is a little bit different. I can't speak for the other Fractal Audio Systems products though. Perhaps someone else on the forum can comment?

I seem to have a different issue - I cannot get an update. I'm using MFC-EDIT 2.0 and even a manual 'check for update' doesn't put me any further ahead...?

I seem to have a different issue - I cannot get an update. I'm using MFC-EDIT 2.0 and even a manual 'check for update' doesn't put me any further ahead...?

You have a very early version (a couple of days after release) and there was a bug in the update code for MAC. Please open a ticket and I'll send you a link to download it directly. Or you can just log into the fractal store and download it from your order history.

Thanks again Gary, but alas, we're not at the end of the tunnel yet. Enter: JAVA. I installed 1.8 - twice - three times - All verified once approved with the ad blocker bypassed in the browser. Next?

Just a quick recap ... the MFC-Edit 3.5 auto-update problem (the original subject of this thread) has now been identified and fixed, Gary has published a new build!

Thanks for your amazing support!

Cheers Wilfred

Back
Top Bottom