MFC-101 won't take phantom power from Ultra (cable tests fine)

iokuyt

I've just bought an MFC-101 (2nd hand) not sure which version (the seller wasn't sure either), has got the cat5 style expansion socket on the back but can't test whether that's active as I guess you need an axe 2 for that (serial is - 1010162)

The MFC works fine with the PSU, but doesn't take phantom power via 7 pin cable from the ultra. Have put the cable in my tester and it's checks out as far as I can tell (the cable testers red ground light is also active on pin 2 and not sure what that means though)

Have scoured the forum/manual etc. and don't think there's any software settings that need to be changed to make this work (the ultra's midi CC's have been changed to work with a podxt live - my previous footswitch)

It's not the end of the world as I can run the power supply to the floorboard if required but would like to know what the most likely fault is if possible.

I'm upgrading to an axe 2 at some point is there a way to tell which version of the MFC I have, and whether that will be able to take phantom power in a different way from an AXE 2?

Please see attachments for pictures of the back of the MFC and the cable/ethercon adapter that comes with it (if that helps to identify)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• mfc back.jpg
    mfc back.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 14
  • mfc cable & adapter.jpg
    mfc cable & adapter.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 14
You need to plug the MFC power supply into the jack next to the MIDI IN input on the back of the Ultra. The 7-pin cable moves the power from the Ultra and sends it to the MFC. Page 10 of the MFC manual has a diagram showing this.

As for the Ethercon adapter, I believe that's for use with an Axe-Fx II; the yellow plug goes in the back of the Axe-Fx II and powers the MFC via phantom power without the need for an external power supply.

Sorry, should have been clearer in my description - I have the MFC power supply plugged into the back of the ultra.

Thanks for the reply.

Plug power supply to the Jack near the midi in (axe fx) check that you have 9 volt AC at the end on the midi cable between pin 6 and 7

Regards,

Yes, probably a job for my multimeter (which is out of action) my friend's got a 7 pin midi cable so going to try that

Thanks again!

On the plus side, when you get an Axe-Fx II, you can just use a CAT5 cable between the Axe-Fx and MFC and that will provide phantom power without the need for a power supply. Sorry I can't be of more help. It will be interesting to see if your friend's cable works.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom