MFC-101 to send CC messages to GR-55

WITELITE

Experienced
Apologies if addressed before but was wondering if I can send CC messages from MFC-1010 to GR-55. The GR55 (while being a great unit) is limited in some ways and can not accept added footswitches via TRS. So two questions,

- Can I assign 2 footswitches from MFC that would send messages via midi out to GR55 Midi in?
- Even better , can I add a two button footswitch that would send cc messages to the GR55 (like the Roland FS6)

If not, better ideas welcome. Alternative would be a dedicated switch that I'd connect via Midi Out to GR55 Midi In but of I can use 2 from the MFC101 (or even better connected externally, even better.

Thanks

MM

I have a Gr-55 incoming, curious myself as I will be adding this to my worship rig. I found this:

Yes, onboard or external switches can send CCs on any channel. Possibly relevant info: only onboard switches can load/send a saved state for each preset. With external switches the MFC will consider it to be in the last state actually switched to, which may or may not be what you want. Onboard IAs can optionally work that way too.

Hopefully more experts on the MFC-101 can help us both.

Separately, you will love the Gr-55. I find the sounds, tracking and ability to change tunings on the fly to be excellent and an outstanding complement to the Axe-FX . I send the guitar out to the Axe-FX and use the tones from the FX for the magnetic guitar stuff. I also find the acoustic sounds to be good enough for backing/coloring coming from direct from the GR-55 though I'm sure could be better direct to the Axe. You will find a noticeable delay in changing patches on the GR-55 which can be addressed using "assigns" (you will learn about those) but there are not enough switches on the GR-55 to trigger those - hence my question.

Feel free to reach out once you get it.

Regards

MM

Yes, onboard or external switches can send CCs on any channel. Possibly relevant info: only onboard switches can load/send a saved state for each preset. With external switches the MFC will consider it to be in the last state actually switched to, which may or may not be what you want. Onboard IAs can optionally work that way too.

Thanks Bakerman. You seem to be the real expert on the unit! I'll give that a shot and see it that works. I really like the idea of using an external switch connected to the MFC-101 to send cc messages to the GR-55 if that works. I need to understand the saved state thing better but as I think of it as disconnected from the MFC-101 (only reason using it is because can't directly connect to the GR-55) and as essentially a "thru" to the Gr-55.

Hopefully more experts on the MFC-101 can help us both.

Separately, you will love the Gr-55. I find the sounds, tracking and ability to change tunings on the fly to be excellent and an outstanding complement to the Axe-FX . I send the guitar out to the Axe-FX and use the tones from the FX for the magnetic guitar stuff. I also find the acoustic sounds to be good enough for backing/coloring coming from direct from the GR-55 though I'm sure could be better direct to the Axe. You will find a noticeable delay in changing patches on the GR-55 which can be addressed using "assigns" (you will learn about those) but there are not enough switches on the GR-55 to trigger those - hence my question.

Feel free to reach out once you get it.

Regards

MM

I can control a space shuttle with the MFC, I was doing research on the midi functionality of the GR-55. (There are a lot of complaints) I found the vid above and it put me at ease.

I just tried to do this just this afternoon (control the GR with MFC 101). I wanted to bypass a Lexicon MPX G2 and the GR-55 with a Roland FS-6. My Lexicon is in my rack with my Axe II. I wired from midi out from the Axe to the midi in on the Lex. I plugged the FS-6 into the 3+4 switch on the back of the MFC with a TRS cable. I then went to the MFC and edited/midi/Page to FS; I assigned a controller # to FS 3 & 4. Bottom line, I got the FS-6 (through the MFC) to bypass the Lexicon.

With the GR-55, I assigned the controller the same CC # as the FS 3. The controller was assigned to control "Patch Level". I wired a midi cable directly from the MFC midi out to the midi in on the GR-55. This is where I messed up. I could see that I was sending the CC # by the midi in light on the Axe. However I was not sending through the MFC because I have the MFC set to expansion port in order to run via a cat 5 cable. Once I figured that out, I hooked a midi cable from the midi thru on the Lex. and the CC passed and bypassed the GR-55.

The bottom line... yes it can be done but you may have to do it through the Axe or other midi device if you run cat 5. My next question... is there a way to run through the expansion port via cat-5 and pass other midi CC through the midi out of the MFC. Help anyone?

I was just trying the same thing. I was thinking you could go from Midi Out of MFC to GR-55. That would be my preference

Very interested in whether this can be done!

MM

Back
Top Bottom