Metallica Preset help...

Boris

Hi there,

I would like a feedback and/or suggestions for my Metallica preset (V22 Beta #6 (12)). I am quite happy, but I am finding myself tweaking myself to hell and back .... not finding a satisfying end. If any of you can advise me how to enhance it, it would be much appreciated!!

Scenes:

1. Rhythm
2. Rhythm DT (Double Tracking)
3. Lead
4. Clean Thin
5. Clean Fat

Cabs used (Dyna-Cab):
Scenes 1-3: 4x12 Friedman V30
Scenes 4+5: 4x12 Rumble EV12L

Thank you for your feedback and enjoy the weekend!

Cheers Boris

PS: I am using an PRS Tremonti Guitar

Attachments

• Metallica.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
I'm almost certain you are looking for feedback on the preset, but expanding on what RevDrucifer mentions, this is what I'm trying to do for my preset definition since I also have been in an endless loop of preset tweaking.

1) Don't interchange presets for different scenarios. If it's headphones, IEM, studio monitors (whatever size), rehearsal, live, FRFR, Cab, etc... I've accepted there's no one for all. So I have one same intent preset for the different scenarios (based on what sounds good to me). The where and how.
2) Define what is the preset going to be used for: Playback with backing tracks, playback with recorded music, Live with a band, just solo, etc... If it cuts in the mix of what I'm using the preset for... that's the stop sign for me. I've learned I can tweak one preset to cut nicely playing to the record and then overpower a badly mixed midi backing track in a bad way, or use an eq polished preset I've created for recording be drowned in a live setting to a rumbling bass in a small room.

I've never been able to use shared presets, perhaps is my bad playing or a mix of items 1 and 2, perhaps I was trying to use presets that were created for live playing on an FRFR at gig levels with a high end guitar with active pickups, over headphones with a predetermine EQ curve at lower volume on a medium end guitar with passive stock pickups ... never going to match.

I'm almost certain you are looking for feedback on the preset, but expanding on what RevDrucifer mentions, this is what I'm trying to do for my preset definition since I also have been in an endless loop of preset tweaking.

1) Don't interchange presets for different scenarios. If it's headphones, IEM, studio monitors (whatever size), rehearsal, live, FRFR, Cab, etc... I've accepted there's no one for all. So I have one same intent preset for the different scenarios (based on what sounds good to me). The where and how.
2) Define what is the preset going to be used for: Playback with backing tracks, playback with recorded music, Live with a band, just solo, etc... If it cuts in the mix of what I'm using the preset for... that's the stop sign for me. I've learned I can tweak one preset to cut nicely playing to the record and then overpower a badly mixed midi backing track in a bad way, or use an eq polished preset I've created for recording be drowned in a live setting to a rumbling bass in a small room.

I've never been able to use shared presets, perhaps is my bad playing or a mix of items 1 and 2, perhaps I was trying to use presets that were created for live playing on an FRFR at gig levels with a high end guitar with active pickups, over headphones with a predetermine EQ curve at lower volume on a medium end guitar with passive stock pickups ... never going to match.
I agree 100%. I struggled with this for a long time, trying to get a preset that sounds good with headphones, real cabs at different volumes, and studio monitors and it never works. When playing through my Cabs, a preset can sound amazing at high volumes but when I turn it down to bedroom volumes at night they sound totally different. So really you just need a preset tailored for each situation, otherwise you will be non stop tweaking your presets.

Also I would give feedback on this preset but it didn't sound right to me at all so I am assuming my monitoring setup is completely different. I also have never been able to gel with the Mesa IIC+ or IIC++ models in the Axe-FX III, I can never get them to sound anything like Metallica, or Youtube video demos of the IIC+. I greatly prefer the Mesa Mark IV Lead Bright, and JP 2C+ models. I would rather use those as a starting point since they sound amazing to me without much tweaking, and very close to my real amps when I A/B, so they are easier for me to figure out. It really helps to have a real Mark amp to A/B against while tweaking to give your ear a frame of reference.

Last edited:
Is there a specific Era you want to try to replicate?
The "Problem" with Metallica especially after AJFA is the layering of different guitars and Amps/Cabs. Mostly different Amps. The latest recording i did (the Song 72 Seasosn) had 6 Guitartracks. 2 Guitars with 3 different Amps and Cabinets. A Mesa IIC, a Diezel VH4 and a Marshall.
Please feel free to check it out on my Instagram : @riff_madness

Hey guys,

thank you for the input. My goal is a generic live Metallica tone. One fits all.... I know, thats not really possible. I "just" want one preset for the songs which screams Metallica. My current preset (attached) works for me... but feel free to make enhancement suggestions... ;)

Enjoy the day!

Attachments

• Metallica_2024-04-18.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 30
Hey guys,

thank you for the input. My goal is a generic live Metallica tone. One fits all.... I know, thats not really possible. I "just" want one preset for the songs which screams Metallica. My current preset (attached) works for me... but feel free to make enhancement suggestions... ;)

Enjoy the day!
Just checked your Preset. This is more Justice Era live tone. A bit much Gain though. You should consider to cut the gain a bit down because a lot of the sound comes from your picking hand. They pick pretty hard.
Also. maybe consider to use 2 Amps for each sound and blend the amps. Like using what what they used or use. James for example used JC120/Mesa TriAxis for his cleans from like 1995 up until Death Magnetic. That's what I did and what I use for my Band.

Just checked your Preset. This is more Justice Era live tone. A bit much Gain though. You should consider to cut the gain a bit down because a lot of the sound comes from your picking hand. They pick pretty hard.
Also. maybe consider to use 2 Amps for each sound and blend the amps. Like using what what they used or use. James for example used JC120/Mesa TriAxis for his cleans from like 1995 up until Death Magnetic. That's what I did and what I use for my Band.
Do you mind sharing your preset?

You’re overlooking the most important thing although all of this: the cabinet.

What era? The black album is a Marshall BV cab with Marshall celestion vintage speakers. This is crucial to their sound, and no one seems to remember this. That album was a 57 and a 421: start here. Pull up the markV or 2c+ model with a cab setup I just mentioned and you’ll be stunned at how close youlll get, trust me. Josh Middletons IR pack has a killer mix ready/slightly eq’d Marshall BV cab IR with a 57/421 setup and it sounds absolutely fantastic for metallicaish style tones.

You’re overlooking the most important thing although all of this: the cabinet.

What era? The black album is a Marshall BV cab with Marshall celestion vintage speakers. This is crucial to their sound, and no one seems to remember this. That album was a 57 and a 421: start here. Pull up the markV or 2c+ model with a cab setup I just mentioned and you’ll be stunned at how close youlll get, trust me. Josh Middletons IR pack has a killer mix ready/slightly eq’d Marshall BV cab IR with a 57/421 setup and it sounds absolutely fantastic for metallicaish style tones.
That is true. Plus a room mic to thicken it up. Also. using a Marshall Amp along with the Mesa sounds even closer. It is confirmed by Bob Rock that a Marshall was also in the mix.

That is true. Plus a room mic to thicken it up. Also. using a Marshall Amp along with the Mesa sounds even closer. It is confirmed by Bob Rock that a Marshall was also in the mix.

Yes. There was a U67 about 20 feet away from
The cabinet pointed at the middle of the cab essentially. But, a good reverb will help with this. It would be extremely difficult/near impossible to find an IR of that nature that would work, but I guess it’s possible to get something decent to work. and yes the jose style marshall is a big part of the midrange on that album, but for most people who aren’t insane like me about tones, the mark IV/marshall cab/57+421 combo should get them extremely close. Closer than just about anyone else’s “presets” I’ve heard anyways.

Yes. There was a U67 about 20 feet away from
The cabinet pointed at the middle of the cab essentially. But, a good reverb will help with this. It would be extremely difficult/near impossible to find an IR of that nature that would work
The GGD Studio Goldstack app has a stereo U87 room mic in the software. Might be a good solution. Also helps that those cabs sound fantastic in general.

Back
Top Bottom