Mesa vs Mesa vs Mesa vs Mesa

So you thought 4 was darker than 2 or 3?

From lightest to darkest, I would say: 1, 4, 2, 3.

Well, listening to it again, I guess 4 is the most scooped. 3 is actually darker, with 4 having more low end in my headphones. Either way, I like them all, but I guess 4 would be my choice for that riff.

These were all just quite randomly picked SM57 IRs to demonstrate that there are differences between the same brand of speakers like in this case. These are probably not the best way for you to decide which of these cabs would be best for you and for that reason I will not tell you which is which cab. But what I can tell you is that some speakers are brighter and some speakers are darker and obviously you can mic them up differenty to take that to account but the way f.ex. I choose what a sweet spot is doesn't have much to do with the brightness of the speaker. I capture the true flavor of that speaker of that cabinet. Moving the mic more to the center is not comparable to miking a brighter speaker. :)

#1 or #4 for me. Thats a weird amount of variation!

There's a lot of variation tonally in every 4x12 cab also. Maybe not as huge brightness-wise but still tonally they could easily pass as different cabs being miked up. Essentially that's the variation I have in all of my Cab Packs since I always do all speakers separately in every cab. The divided opinions on this thread once again proves that there's no way for me to decide which of these speakers is the best one so it's best that I do them all so it's like getting four completely different sounds. :)

So weird. This seems like terrible QA from Mesa/the speaker manufacturers to me. Are these speakers really so poorly made? :)

Well these are Celestion speakers custom ordered to sound darker than regular Vintage 30s. I think Mesa goes through them in their end. Bigger differences like this have to do with aging. My theory is that speakers that are brighter may actually be in almost new condition. Some people want that and some people don't. F.ex. I heard a rumor that John Petrucci uses the cabs he had on tour for the next album in the studio so they are properly worn in.

Back
Top Bottom