Mesa 4x12 vs Mesa 2x12!!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

The first part of this clip is an old 4x12 Mesa Oversize cab (the one Cab Pack 13 is based on) and the second part of this clip is a semi-old 2x12 Mesa Rectifier cab (the one that'll be in the next Cab Pack with an Orange 2x12). Both cabinets have the same old "better" 70w real English Celestions but obviously the 4x12 is more worn since it's older and gigged for over a decade. Other than that it's the same type of V30 speakers in a different cab and the tone difference is quite huge.

Once again: you should never say you dislike "the V30 sound" since there are so many different V30 sounds and you haven't heard all of them. :)

Both IR's are the Alloy Ace SM57-MD421 IR. The 4x12 is my go-to IR but granted this patch may have been geared more towards the 2x12 cab. I feel like the 2x12 is tighter and more modern and makes the 4x12 sound almost Marshally. This comparison was a head scratcher so I had to share it with you guys.

Opinions? :)

I like both for different reasons, I wouldn't place one above the other.
It's tough to compare things like this though, because even two 4x12 Mesa's would have sounded different, as I'm sure you know...

Looking forward to the Mesa 2x12 as my favorite real cab setup for a long time has been both a 4x12 and 2x12 mixed together...except for transportation

I'm listening to it with new ears and even now it's like "vintage vs modern" for me. The 2x12 is more scooped. The 4x12 has more mids. Let's see how they sound blended in together...

Okay here's a quick shootout... damn I really started to like this riff a lot although it was just a brainfart. :)

But which is which? :) I'll wait for you guys to share your opinions first. Three different Mesa cabs all with the same 70w Celestion V30s and SM57+MD421 Alloy Ace combo.

Oh and the amp sim is Friedman HBE with everything on stock settings. This is essentially the way I quick test stuff at times. The HBE with everything pointing to 5 usually sounds pretty damn perfect no matter what. :D

Back
Top Bottom