Mesa 20/20 - anyone using it with their AxeFx?

Of course, it depends on whether you like the results, but the Axe works fine with the 20/20. It definitely colors the sound. As you'd expect from a 20 watt tube amp, it also can't get really loud without breaking up itself.

My biggest beef with my 20/20 is the stupid fan -- it's really loud, and combined with the Axe fan it makes for a rather noisy background at lower volumes. I've wanted to contact Mesa about the fan but at this point I'm thinking I'll just dump the 20/20 since I'm so happy with the Axe amp sounds.

TT

Tommy Tequila said:
Of course, it depends on whether you like the results, but the Axe works fine with the 20/20. It definitely colors the sound. As you'd expect from a 20 watt tube amp, it also can't get really loud without breaking up itself.

My biggest beef with my 20/20 is the stupid fan -- it's really loud, and combined with the Axe fan it makes for a rather noisy background at lower volumes. I've wanted to contact Mesa about the fan but at this point I'm thinking I'll just dump the 20/20 since I'm so happy with the Axe amp sounds.

TT

Yup ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had one long ago that I tried to use with a Triaxis and a Pod Pro. The 20/20 is midrangy with little low end. I dumped it and bought a VHT 2502. I think using a 20/20 with an Axe-FX would greatly compromise the flexibility and tone.

I have one and never even tried it with the Axe.

I think most ppl would recommend the Deep Mod, BTW.

Might be selling it because of... the fan :mrgreen:
Mine is worn out and 2x as noisy.
OTOH, buying a new 20/20 is pretty expensive, so might try to keep it as a backup instead of selling it for a mere $500.
Soundwise, I've been pretty happy with it for living room use, even without the mod, which I would still like to try someday maybe.

Sorry, not much of an answer... ;)

I've wondered before what the fan is supposed to be cooling -- if it's the tubes, I'd rather disconnect the internal fan and just mount a nice quiet one the rack. AC15's and my Tiny Terror don't need fans at all.

I've looked at the deep mod as well, and think it would be cool to just put a switch on it so you could go either way.

TT

I replaced the fan in mine and it was a little noisier than it should have been due to wear, but the replacement still makes a noise - it is the sound of the air moving rather than the fan itself. I don't notice it though - usually playing in a band context rather than low volume/home.

I quite liked the Axe and 20/20 combination. Especially with Mesa amp sims. I changed to an ART SLA2 for ideological reasons (trying to get way from tubes), but might change back again - there is something about the Mesa 20/20 sound that I miss. It does break up a bit, but whether that is a problem or not depends how clean and loud you want to be.

I did in fact do the "deep" mod and made it switchable. Deep mod is bypassing 2 caps which act as a low-end filter, I believe. It has more low-end and sounds "looser" with it , but not necessarily better. I think I prefer the tighter sound with the deep mod "off", but its a close call.

I had one hence the name.

Yep, It will colour the sounds a hell of a lot and is not very loud really. You would only want to use it I would imagine if you want mesa tones and disable the power amp modelling in the axe.

I got an SLA-2 and am happy as a pig in s**t.

Tommy Tequila said:
What kind of fan did you use?

Thanks,
TT

I ended up using same as the orginal, a Sunon fan. They have a super-quiet versions KDE0504PKV2 MS.A.GN and KDE0504PKV3 MS.A.GN. 40x40x20 with "vapo" bearings.
Equivalents without the vapo bearing options, are ball-bearing options KD0504PKB2 and KD0504PKB3 or sleeve KD0504PKS2 and KD0504PKS3.
The part numbers with 3 at the end move less air, so less noise, but less cooling. Most of the noise is from the air, rather than the bearings. From memory, I'm 99% sure it was KD0504PKB2 which I got in the end, as it was available on eBay and in fact is identical to the original. If you end up placing an order based on my advice, PM me first so I can check the records on my other computer.

Back
Top Bottom