Matrix NL12 Impressions

LostInSpace

Inspired
So last week I posted a thread asking for opinions on getting a Matrix NL12 to replace the EVM 1x12 Thiele I've been using, in an effort to save some weight. Based on the favorable responses I went ahead and ordered one. I've been able to use the cab for a few days and at full band volume at practice last night, so I thought I'd post a few impressions. In summary, it's a great cab and does everything I hoped it would; more detail below.

First, shipping was very fast, I received it from the UK in only two days (I'm on the US east coast). Cab arrived well packed.

My rig at this point is just AxeFxII -> Matrix GT1000FX -> Cab (no cab sims). I connected the NL12 to one side of the GT1000 and the Thiele to the other so I could easily compare the cabs. At 17 lbs, the NL12 felt so light when I set it up that I couldn't help expecting that it would sound like a speaker mounted in a cardboard box. It was very surprising when I started playing... I was immediately struck by the quality of the sound and the volume it can produce. It sounded good on all my main patches, which span the range from squeaky clean to high gain (I play in a cover band where we cover everything from funk/pop to classic rock to 80's hair metal), so I have quite a range of sounds. What I've always liked about the EVM was that it has kind of a balanced sound that works with a lot of different tones, even though it's not flat (and I don't want it to be), it doesn't seem to impose a signature on the tones. It isn't excessively bassy, or scooped, or boxy. To my ears, the NL12 has the same generic quality, so my existing patches all translated quite well. It's hard to accurately describe the tonal difference between two cabs, but I would say the NL12 was a little brighter (but not excessively so), maybe with slightly less bass (but again, not excessively so and it produces considerable bass for it's size). The cabs had slightly different voicing in the midrange, but not to a large diegree, and both sound good. Probably the best way to summarize the sonic comparison is to note that I didn't feel the need to tweak my patches at all for the NL12, which shows they're fairly close. Of course it helps that my patches were developed on a 1x12.

At practice I was able to play the cab at full stage volume and it held up well. The signal lights on the GT1000 weren't even lighting up. The tone was consistently good, even at the elevated volume, and my tones were cutting as well as ever. Most of the time my cab is mic'ed, but occasionally we'll play a smaller room where we only run vocals and drums through the PA, and in that situation I'd probably use a second cab just to ensure I could carry the room from stage without pushing things too hard.

I am very happy. I want to congratulate Matrix on developing a great product!

Thanks for the review. I just sold EVM loaded Thiele with the intent of ordering the NL12 in order to save some weight. Your comments confirm that I'm going to like it. But now I see they are out of stock...

Awesome! I'm using my NL12 together with a Xitone 1x12 wedge and getting a great sound. I have to throw an FX Loop block between the AMP and CAB blocks due to using both FRFR and traditional but fills the tone out nicely. Really digging the tones.

Awesome review! I'm def saving up for a Matrix Gt1000 fx and an NL12! quick question though. Since I'll be using this together with FOH, Does the Matrix gt1000 fx output go straight to the NL12 while the Axe Fx 2 output goes straight to FOH? Also, in any event where I don't need to carry a cab (just straight to FOH), is hooking up the matrix gt1000 fx necessary? (axe fx 2 > gt 1000 fx > FOH)

Awesome review! I'm def saving up for a Matrix Gt1000 fx and an NL12! quick question though. Since I'll be using this together with FOH, Does the Matrix gt1000 fx output go straight to the NL12 while the Axe Fx 2 output goes straight to FOH?
Yes, that's how you'd connect it. You put an FX Loop block before your Cab block, which gives you a feed to Output2 that doesn't have the Cab sim. You send that to the NL12, while Output1, which has your cab sim, goes to FOH. I noticed on Matrix's web site that they had a link to a user who had posted IR's of the NL12. I'm thinking of trying them to do exactly what you're talking about, rather than mic'ing the NL12.
Also, in any event where I don't need to carry a cab (just straight to FOH), is hooking up the matrix gt1000 fx necessary? (axe fx 2 > gt 1000 fx > FOH)
You wouldn't need the GT1000 in that case, assuming you have FOH monitors on stage (and you can live with the tone of them!).

You'll be pleased to know we ran some production on the NL12 ahead of the NL212 batch, as we had a small waiting list for them. We now have the NL12 in stock again in both 8 and 16 ohm variants, and we will run some more after we get through the batch of 2x12's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments! We are always happy to hear people enjoying our products and the little NL12 is one of our favourites.

I use one myself and its my "go to" cab for picking up and taking out. Even now, it always surprises me with it's weight (or lack of). Glad you liked the tones, and I know what you mean about the expectation of a boxy sound .. your brain tells you it should sound like a speaker in a cardboard can, there just no weight and over the years, we've come to associate bass response with heavy cabs ... and then you plug it in and its all there, low end in spades, clear top end ... and a one-finger lift. Combined with the AxeFX and a lightweight amp, you really have got a killer rig you can carry into a gig, one box in each hand.

As mentioned above they are back in stock, if you want one, grab one.

Nice review. The extra brightness can be a good thing in a band mix and it has no bearing on FOH if you are running direct. Fantastic little cabs, as soon as I move my quad I'm getting a second one. I guess in your case with no send out you could adjust the global eq I am reminded why I bought one every time I have to load mine, they are sooo light.

Last edited:
Great review! I am getting really close to taking the plunge on a GT800 and NL212. Your review, along with other posts in this thread, are definitely helping me make up my mind... :)

Thanks for the compliments! We are always happy to hear people enjoying our products and the little NL12 is one of our favourites.

I use one myself and its my "go to" cab for picking up and taking out. Even now, it always surprises me with it's weight (or lack of). Glad you liked the tones, and I know what you mean about the expectation of a boxy sound .. your brain tells you it should sound like a speaker in a cardboard can, there just no weight and over the years, we've come to associate bass response with heavy cabs ... and then you plug it in and its all there, low end in spades, clear top end ... and a one-finger lift. Combined with the AxeFX and a lightweight amp, you really have got a killer rig you can carry into a gig, one box in each hand.

As mentioned above they are back in stock, if you want one, grab one.

I don't think people understand exactly how light this thing is. I literally laughed out loud when it pulled it out of the box. I cracked up because the cardboard box and foam inserts almost weighed more than the cab. :)

Also, for anyone worrying about how sturdy, solid, etc. the cab is, no need to worry. It feels solid, has a great metal handle, and is done just right.

Back
Top Bottom