Matrix NL12 benefits vs....

Jeff B

Inspired
Hey guys!

So, I currently have my Xitone FRFR cab, but am still learning to get used to the tone that it's delivering compared to that "amp in the room" tone from my tube amp into my 2x12 guitar cab. I may use my Xitone to test presets that I may run to FOH, etc., but am still longing for a lightweight guitar cab for the times that I'm just sitting there jamming or in a situation where there is no FOH and a real cab needs to be mic'd or even just played un-mic'd.

SO... I currently have my G12M 2x12 Carvin Legacy cab that I've been running with my Peavey JSX and I'm wondering, besides for the weight savings, what would the NL12 offer me that my current greenback guitar cab won't.... if anything? Since it's technically a guitar cab, it's going to add some "color" to my tone, just as my guitar cab does and will affect any of the presets that I currently have. I suppose that I'm interested to find out if it's worth me spending the extra $$ for the NL12 if I already have a 2x12. However, if the NL12 is going to offer me a better tone somehow or some kind of magic integration with the AFX that my G12M cab won't, then I may consider it.

Thanks for your help! :)

Weight and it has a fuller frequency range than a traditional guitar cab so it handles a variety of amps in the Axe-FX very well. Basically it rocks with every amp sim I have hit it with!

I got the chance to play an NL12 against my Bogner 2x12 (with both V30's and a Scumback mix of H/M75's). To me the straight audio difference is minimal. Here's a summary of my observations:

The NL12's ported design had a bigger bottom end to it, very tight and plenty of oomph....

The NL's sounded good on clean tones as well as high gain/heavy rock tones.

On mild-gain, light crunch tones, I preferred my other speakers. This could simply be because the NL was fairly new, vs. my well broken-in other speakers.

The NL is a night light tiny speaker, it's actually weird how much sound comes out of that little box. To me there was a ever so slight "boxy" sound to it, but nothing I couldn't live with if I needed a light weight small speaker.

My final conclusion was to just stick with my standard cabs, simply because I already owned them, and based on my favorite tones (mild/light crunch) I preferred my cabs. However, the NL's are very nice and if I had the extra dough, I'd probably own at least a NL12, or possibly the NL212.

Jeff B, I have a Xitone 1x12 wedge and absolutely love it. Like you, I have considered also giving the Matrix NL12 a whirl. I actually want to use the Xitone and NL12 together to create a full tone. The two setups would sound different enough to create that tone separation, etc.

Reactions: LVC
From looking at the NL12 photos... in comparison to a Xitone cab, how do you guys feel the overall build/finish quality is of the NL12's? I know that my Xitone isn't the lightest cab for its size, but the build quality using high quality, void-free ply and the Line X finish is beautiful. I know that they're building the cabs from "European tonewoods", according to the Matrix website, but how thin must that stuff be to be as light as they say they are? Also, the durable paint finish... is that just a typical splatter paint that I can purchase at a local hardware store or is this stuff much better than that? I've heard of someone on the forum mention that his finish is already beginning to peel off and I wouldn't want to purchase something that doesn't have the quality finish appeal that I would desire. Also, does anyone know what speaker they're using in their cab?

Back
Top Bottom