Matrix into 2x12 EVM12L cab sounds raspy ?

Goldtop57

Inspired
Vendor
Hey guys,

I use both the axe (with cabs sims) into my monitors, and the matrix (with cab sims off) into my 2x12 EVM12L cabinet.

Problem with using the real cab is that it sounds buzzy/raspy. With cab sims on, it's too dark and swampy.

any solution for this ?

You have to tweak the amp settings, one for poweramp/cab and another for FRFR
.. and the volume on the EVM's need to be loud =)

Find the right IR first or at least something with in the ball park of what you want the amp to sound like and from there start using EQs to further polish the sound...but you have to be real clear of how you want to sound and if its cutting in to the mix.

Hey guys,

I use both the axe (with cabs sims) into my monitors, and the matrix (with cab sims off) into my 2x12 EVM12L cabinet.

Problem with using the real cab is that it sounds buzzy/raspy. With cab sims on, it's too dark and swampy.

any solution for this ?

Start with dialing in the amp model for your actual EVM cabinet.
Then go look for an IR of EVMs which you like. The stock EVM cabs aren't bad (RW, OH, FAS Producer), or try the UltraRes ones from OwnHammer or TAF (free).
If necessary finetune using the LoCutFreq and HiCutFreq parameters in the Cab block, or a PEQ etc.

P.S. EVMs sound rather raspy at low volume level. They really need to be turned up to start to sound amazing.

Last edited:
I've a matrix GT800Fx + 2 2x12 cabinets with those electrovoice and as Yek said, you have to tweak the sound for the real cab first. It happened the same to me the first days I had my cabs, but after that, never had a problem to find the right sound as those speakers are amazing

Reactions: yek
This is the problem I ran into trying to run both real Cabs and FRFR from the same preset. The amps need to be set up differently IMO. You can get close with using an IR of your actual cabinet I supposed, or by using a 3rd party IR. However, I've given up trying to run both at the same time. For me it's better to tweak each preset for either direct/FRFR, or amp/cab, but not both at the same time. YMMV....

Back
Top Bottom