Matrix GT800fx into Vintage 30's

Pasc22

hey guys,
just bought the gt800fx and am wanting to get the maximum power out of it into my 2x12 cab.
Its loaded with 2 8ohm V30 speakers(as far as i recall) and is currently wired at 4ohms. wondering what would be the best way to run the matrix into it, was thinking either wire it up to be 16ohms and run it in mono or leave it at 4ohms and run in stereo using just one channel. Also wanting to avoid any damage to speakers :)
Thanks for any advice.

What cab are you running into? What connections are on the back?

The V30's are 60w (120w peak). In the 4 ohm wiring, the cab will handle 120w (240w peak) and the amp will give 400w max at that rating. 16 ohm mono the amp will give 120w max to the cab, which is the same rating as the cab. If you wanted to run true stereo, you'd have to wire the cab up for that and basically each speaker would be it's 8 ohm rating of 60w with the amp giving a possible 250w into each speaker.

I'd stick with mono. The 4 ohm rating should be ok. Trust your ears basically and use the signal lights on the amp as a guide to how much power you're putting into the cab. Some more info here Technical & Product Guides - FAQ

its a custom made cab, roughly the specifications of an ORANGE 2x12 as far as i know. Its only got the one option which is in parallel so 4 ohms, i changed it when i bought it from a series wiring of 16ohm.
So basically i should use the mono(parallel) mode on the amp and run it straight into the 4ohms to get maximum power? Or do i leave it on stereo mode and just use the left channel?
What state on the signal light would i be doing damage to the speakers?
Thanks heaps for the reply :)

Yes just use one channel of the amp in stereo mode. When the signal lights start flickering, you'll be putting approximately 50w into the cab. When they start staying on permanently, you'll be dishing out 100w. If it's loud enough and you don't tickle the lights....don't worry.
Just a heads up if your cab has a link out for daisy chaining other cabs to it. Don't mistake that for a second input for stereo use. Plugging both channels of the amp into the normal input and link will feed the output of one channel back into the other and damage the amp.

ok awesome so if the lights are lit up solid im still not at the maximum the cab can handle?
Yeah the second input to the cab has nothing connected to it on the inside.

Pretty much, although "staying on" means that the lights will still be flickering off somewhat, just lit up more say 90% of the time more than off. There's still a long way to go from there on power wise and your ears will probably melt by that time!

In a related question....

What is the taper like on the GT1000FX channel A & B gain/volume controls? I'm usually at noon or slightly higher and it's moderately loud, but nowhere near ear bleeding. I haven't ventured much past 1 or 2 o'clock for fear of damaging speakers etc.... I guess my question is, how much does the Matrix have left from say 2 O'clock to max (5 o'clock)? Does that make sense??

Hey not to highjack your thread or anything, but that is what I am going to do.:lol Hey, Matrix ships fast Man! They Have to have a hub in the USA with product sitting in there. my GT1000FX 2U went out Monday and it is arriving Wednesday before 10am! I am in Texas.

Anyway I have 2 CLR's (active wedges) as some of you know. I am getting the Matrix to run my 4x12 Bogner Straight Cabinet loaded with V30's. Plan to try a Wet Dry Wet set up. I am NEW to the Matrix (except I saw the movie several years ago with Kiana Reeves, most of which I forgot).

I am not sure if I have to do anything to make sure I run my BOGNER Cab correctly? Per the Bogner wegsite:

"Standard for all Bogner 4x12 cabinets is the use of 16 ohm speakers wired for 16 ohm impedance."

So I have a 16 ohm cabinet? Does this matter how I hook up the Matrix, or is there a button on it to change it to the correct Ohms? On my XTC Head, I can run 1/2 Power (50 watts), and when I do that I have to change to 8 Ohms on the HEAD. I learned tat long ago and never had to do anything else with it.

So after all that, how do I hook up a 16 Ohn Cabinet to My soon to be deliver Matrix GT1000 FX 2U?

Thanks and that is cool, we are both Matrix brothers now. Why did you get the 800/ I hear some people liek it, or think it sounds better? I just got the 1000 and chose 2U because I play at HOME, so it ain't going be moved a whole hell of a lot.

Good Luck and sorry I highjacked your thread, but you might learn something from the answsers they give to me.

I can't believe the Matrix is showing up so Damn Fast! 3 days?! No way it can get to Englad to Texas in 3 days, can it? I went UPS Express.

I made up 2 sales calls for tomorow so I can Be there to sign for it (IF they require a signature???).

Thanks

Tex. (The Iotola with a Jack n Cola)

In a related question....

What is the taper like on the GT1000FX channel A & B gain/volume controls? I'm usually at noon or slightly higher and it's moderately loud, but nowhere near ear bleeding. I haven't ventured much past 1 or 2 o'clock for fear of damaging speakers etc.... I guess my question is, how much does the Matrix have left from say 2 O'clock to max (5 o'clock)? Does that make sense??

Audio taper (logarithmic) which sounds linear due to the nature of our hearing. It will still have plenty left under the hood.

Hey not to highjack your thread or anything, but that is what I am going to do.:lol Hey, Matrix ships fast Man! They Have to have a hub in the USA with product sitting in there. my GT1000FX 2U went out Monday and it is arriving Wednesday before 10am! I am in Texas.

Anyway I have 2 CLR's (active wedges) as some of you know. I am getting the Matrix to run my 4x12 Bogner Straight Cabinet loaded with V30's. Plan to try a Wet Dry Wet set up. I am NEW to the Matrix (except I saw the movie several years ago with Kiana Reeves, most of which I forgot).

I am not sure if I have to do anything to make sure I run my BOGNER Cab correctly? Per the Bogner wegsite:

"Standard for all Bogner 4x12 cabinets is the use of 16 ohm speakers wired for 16 ohm impedance."

So I have a 16 ohm cabinet? Does this matter how I hook up the Matrix, or is there a button on it to change it to the correct Ohms? On my XTC Head, I can run 1/2 Power (50 watts), and when I do that I have to change to 8 Ohms on the HEAD. I learned tat long ago and never had to do anything else with it.

So after all that, how do I hook up a 16 Ohn Cabinet to My soon to be deliver Matrix GT1000 FX 2U?

Thanks and that is cool, we are both Matrix brothers now. Why did you get the 800/ I hear some people liek it, or think it sounds better? I just got the 1000 and chose 2U because I play at HOME, so it ain't going be moved a whole hell of a lot.

Good Luck and sorry I highjacked your thread, but you might learn something from the answsers they give to me.

I can't believe the Matrix is showing up so Damn Fast! 3 days?! No way it can get to Englad to Texas in 3 days, can it? I went UPS Express.

I made up 2 sales calls for tomorow so I can Be there to sign for it (IF they require a signature???).

Thanks

Tex. (The Iotola with a Jack n Cola)

We employ tiny elves whose job it is to sit inside the amp and can tell which impedance speaker you are plugged into. They switch the amp into that mode.......nah not really but the amp will be happy with any load it sees over 4 ohms, even odd loads or inbetween loads....5, 8.5, 12....they'll all work fine. It will self adjust.

Yes we really do ship from the UK and as Robin said in a different thread somewhere, UPS generally do us proud getting stuff to most places quick with no fuss.

Hey I didn't realize who this was. Thanks for the reply. England to Texas in 3 days. That is amazing. That is what they call, "The Benny Hill Express"!

Audio taper (logarithmic) which sounds linear due to the nature of our hearing. It will still have plenty left under the hood.

Oh yeah cool, I'm probably not even at 50% of the power at 1 or 2 o'clock (maybe only at about 40% of power available).

It looks so damn nice. The lights hypnotize me. I only have tried one patch that a forum member gave me (Wet Dry Wet) as I haven't had time to test it out. I have a Bogner straight V30 Cabinet I am using with it. I want to try it with the Axe-FX II sounds going through it, as I said, all I did was a Patch a forum member gave me (Euro Red Mrdn Lead.syx) and the Bogner just gets a dry signal. It sounds good, but not amazing out of the Bogner, but I haven't tweaked anything or tried any other patch so my response here is lacking.

I play in my office with the CLR active wedges, and they are really amazing! I love them! The only thing I am thinking (just on first impressions), not about the Matrix, because I know it is aGREAT piece of gear and John Hardman has been so nice and cool helping me with things. They are a great company and John is a great representative that they should give a raise to! I'm serious, he has been super helpful and so darn nice.

Back to my first impression. Having the big 4x12 cabinet and the wedges next to it, might be a little overkill for my office and for what I am doing, playing at home, the CLR's might be a better daily solution as they don't take up much real estate. Also, when I play my W D W patch, the stereo effect goes away and to be honest, just with the ONE patch I tried (dry to my Bogner) it almost sounds cleaner and has more depth sonically playing with the 2 CLR's.

I NEED to try the AXE-FX II into the 4x12 cabinet normal WITH all the axe FX coming out (Haven't done that yet), not just DRY, to see how I like that sound. Here is a picture of both set ups With and without the Bogner.

Love the Look of this!:eagerness:

Bogner/Matrix Mania

I mount ALL my rack gear with rubber and nylon washers behind and in front of the rack gear so it is pristine. I play at home so I am really picky since it isn't going to get messed up on the road, unless my daughter throws one of her dolls at it.:mrgreen

I thought I would NEVER sell the Bogner as this is my 2nd one I had and regretted selling the first one. BUT, I am considering doing so, just because I don't see me playing it much. It sounds great, but so does the Axe-FX II. I never played my guitar MORE than I do now, because it is right next to my PC as I type this. I am listening to You Tube for a song or solo I want to figure out, swing my chair to the right and plug in and jam. It's easy and it sounds good so it makes me play AND I can play anytime of the night too. My Bogner is awesome AND I had the custom switch put in (The Marvel Mod) that gives me Red Channel Pre 2004, Post 2004, and the Cameron Mod, sound. So, I have all 3 iterations of that channel which is cool. Heck, I might keep it, but if I ever did sell it, someone is going to get a MINT MINT bad ass Bogner.

Anyone have active CLR's and a Matrix that they used with their cabinet, or just a Matrix and a 4x12 cabinet as your main rig for home or playing live? What are YOUR thoughts on the matter of Matrix & speakers (4x12 since I haven't experienced their speakers which everyone seems to love as well!).

That's all I got, sorry to leave you guys hanging and I wish I had more to share and review, but maybe this weekend I will get some time to put it through it's paces.

Thanks again John Hardman for being such a cool and knowledgeable guy! I really appreciate all your help and I consider you a friend.

Take care everyone!

Tex......................

Back
Top Bottom