Matrix GT1000FX help

gibvictory

Inspired
Recently purchased the Amp and a NL12 cab and I've only had the AXE for three months. I just can't get the feel right. Getting tones that sound good is not the problem. I have amp and cab sims on as I'm sending to FOH via OUT 1. I do not have a cab sim in the grid for OUT 2 stage set up. I spend hours working on presets, amps, tone and so on. Then I revisit my tube amp (with the NL12) and all the feel comes back. The guitar is a lot easier to play never mind the magic that happens with tubes. Overtones come back and all the right feedback.

I put the Matrix amp up for sale but I'm asking for help at the last minute for some AXE tweaking tips to get me there. I realize it will always be a little different but a lot closer would be good. I just want to give it one more shot before I let it go. It bothers the shit out of me that I would have to let a brand spankin' new amp go and take a $200 plus hit because of shipping and duty fees I can't get back never mind the beat down on the price.

I have a Mesa 20/20. I know Mesa has a particular color, especially that amp but, again, it's a feel thing not a tone issue. I also have a peizo equipped guitar and a Roland synth and the Matrix is great with those.

It sounds like there might be something setup wrong there. Im sure someone on here has experience in this. I myself don't have a matrix but its so popular that im sure someone can lead you to a solution. How much are you selling the matrix for?

It sounds like there might be something setup wrong there. Im sure someone on here has experience in this. I myself don't have a matrix but its so popular that im sure someone can lead you to a solution. How much are you selling the matrix for?

I have it in the "For Sale" section. I'm going to give the Matrix site tips a try first and any others that show up here.

I had a 2:90 and now a GT1000FX.
The 2:90 had more bite / brutal but overall the Matrix does its job great!
It might sound weird to some but I run my 2 traditional 2x12 v30 cabs with cab sim ON!
The sound is much better IMO then with cab sim OFF.
Bottom line is, there are no rules and you don’t have to turn off the cab sim only because you use a real cab.
Try it with cab sim ON, maybe you will like it.
It’s a shame to sell an amp and loose some $$$ if there is a chance to make it work for you.
Good luck

It may just not be the power amp you're looking for. I have the matrix and it sounds great but it has a specific feel just like all amps do. You may prefer the Mesa better. To me if you can't bond with the power amp, no amount of tweaking is going to "fix" it. I love my matrix and it has the proper "feel" and response like a real tube amp. It's not as tight as my mesas but not as loose as my Bogner. Somewhere in between.

I would compare the feel of the amp and your preference as the same thing as the preference of neck shape. I don't like strats, D, C shape or anything. No amount of tweaking will "fix" a strat for me. They just don't fit my hands right. You tried it, it didn't work.

The tone works for you, just not the feel. It's okay, move on and find something that does :).

^ this I had the same experience, loved the tone, the feel left me wanting.
If you've used tube amps for a long time to me anyway, SS amps never feel "right".
I have never really been able to bond with one.

Yep ^. I'm coming to the same conclusion lately. I can't get the right feel with SS. Tone? Yes, sounds good. But that thump and response of a tube amp is not quite there.

I want to try the Retro Channel though. Might be the same result as the Matrix, but it seems to maybe have more of that tube feel. Doesn't seem like too many people are running those vs. Matrix though.

No, the Axe into the Retro into a real cab with cab sims off and power amp on sounds and feels just like a real tube amp. You get all of that bounce, thump and twang and the guitar comes alive just like with a real tube amp. It's so good now with FW13 that I am thinking of selling a bunch of my tube amps.

Dialling in the speaker resonance on the Axe is a requirement and took me a while to get right, but worth the effort.

I have a Matrix GT1000FX but drew the same conclusions as you and never use it. It is a lot lighter than the Retro but seems more hifi - maybe it's better with FRFR, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom