Match Tone Stack to Frequency

greiswig

Power User
I wish that when changing the tone stack on an amp and trying a different one, the frequency would follow along with the tone stack instead of staying set at the frequency of the default stack for that amp.

I don’t think so. If I start with a Dumble tone stack, it stays centered at 650Hz, no matter what tone stack I set it to. If I start with a 5F8 Tweed, it stays at 470Hz no matter what.

The frequency displayed doesn't change. Don't overthink it. If you change the tone stack and don't change the frequency the tone stack will use the standard values. If you put a Dumble tone stack in a 5F8 you'll get a Dumble tone stack exactly as it is in a Dumble. If you change the frequency away from 470 Hz the tone stack values will scale.

Trust me, it does what you want.

The frequency displayed doesn't change. Don't overthink it. If you change the tone stack and don't change the frequency the tone stack will use the standard values. If you put a Dumble tone stack in a 5F8 you'll get a Dumble tone stack exactly as it is in a Dumble. If you change the frequency away from 470 Hz the tone stack values will scale.

Trust me, it does what you want.
Learn something every single day!

Ok, thanks. I’m glad to hear the tone stacks are accurate when changed.

Can I revise my wish then? Can we have the displayed frequency change to match that of the selected tone stack? That way we don’t need to worry about scaling, or why the stack isn’t changing as I would expect when trying to get rid of a mid bump at 500Hz, for example.

Just stumbled upon this too and noticed that the description on the manual is not clear about this and seems quite contradictory to what Cliff said above, at least to my understanding:

"Tonestack Freq - Sets the center frequency of the tone controls to determine their effect on the sound. This
control works whether you are using Active, Passive, or substitute tone stacks. This parameter defaults to
an appropriate value whenever you change the amp TYPE, but it can then be changed as desired. But if you
subsequently change the Tonestack Type, the Tonestack Frequency will not necessarily be correct anymore
"

Tonestack Frequency is just a set number for each model. I was trying to make things less confusing than 0.1 - 10. When you select a tonestack it loads a tonestack model which is a bunch of resistor and capacitor values. When the tonestack loads it frequency scales the values based on the entered Tonestack Frequency divided by the default value. The default value matches that of the default tonestack. If you never touch the Tonestack Frequency then the tonestacks load unchanged (i.e. 700/700 = 1).

When you select a different tonestack it's center frequency may be different than the default so the displayed frequency doesn't reflect that.

Tonestack Frequency is just a set number for each model. I was trying to make things less confusing than 0.1 - 10. When you select a tonestack it loads a tonestack model which is a bunch of resistor and capacitor values. When the tonestack loads it frequency scales the values based on the entered Tonestack Frequency divided by the default value. The default value matches that of the default tonestack. If you never touch the Tonestack Frequency then the tonestacks load unchanged (i.e. 700/700 = 1).

When you select a different tonestack it's center frequency may be different than the default so the displayed frequency doesn't reflect that.
Got it, thanks.

Anyway I noticed some other strange things regarding this parameter.
For example, the hipower normal default setting is 350Hz while it is 700Hz in the jumped and brilliant models.

Should it be so or is it a bug?
AFAIK the only differences between the two channels of a hiwatt are a couple capacitors in the input stage, the tonestack should be identical.

Got it, thanks.

Anyway I noticed some other strange things regarding this parameter.
For example, the hipower normal default setting is 350Hz while it is 700Hz in the jumped and brilliant models.

Should it be so or is it a bug?
AFAIK the only differences between the two channels of a hiwatt are a couple capacitors in the input stage, the tonestack should be identical.

The Jumped Hipower also has 'Input Drive' on the authentic tab but 'Treble Drive' on the ideal tab for that same control.

I appreciate the patient explanation of your goals, and the tricky balance you’re having to strike.

How difficult would it be to have that approximate center frequency and the stack position track the actual selection in the UI as it does in the modeling?

What are the downsides to having the frequency get overridden (reset to a ratio of 1) when changing tonestack types? The user is changing the tonestack to change the sound anyway, so why keep the offset caused by previously changing the freq?

What are the downsides to having the frequency get overridden (reset to a ratio of 1) when changing tonestack types? The user is changing the tonestack to change the sound anyway, so why keep the offset caused by previously changing the freq?
It does get reset to 1 effectively.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering two things:

1. would it be better to change this parameter to be a ratio instead of frequency center to avoid this sort of confusion?
2. keeping in mind the dangers of making decisions with eyes vs ears, would it be possible to have a sort of visual curve that shows the tonestack eq?

Back
Top Bottom