Master Volume Trim

clarky

Axe-Master
I've not really played with this yet...
but to be honest, I can't say I'm sure I know what to expect...

what does it actually do??

Just multiplies the MV by the amount. You only need to use it if you want more power amp drive and your MV is already at 10.

IOW, if MV is 10 and you set MV Trim to 2.0 then the MV will be 20.

I view it as making the power tubes add more or less harmonic content to the overall tone. It basically can take your master past 10.00, yes maybe to 11!

gotchya....

so when everyone else turns up to 10
but you want to go right over the edge...
you can now turn up to 100...

seriously though...
thanks... makes perfect sense

Just multiplies the MV by the amount. You only need to use it if you want more power amp drive and your MV is already at 10.

IOW, if MV is 10 and you set MV Trim to 2.0 then the MV will be 20.

So when you turn it down to less than 1, does this change the tone at all like turning the MV down does? I'm hopping it can be used to reduce power amp distortion without thinning out the sound.

Probably the same as turning the MV down. That "thickening" when you turn the MV up IS power amp distortion/harmonics :)

I think I remember that earlier FW revs like 9 were conceived so that "accurate" modeling of the amp occurred when the MV was at 9, or so. Therefore, if the MV was set to 10 in FW9, it was actually like "going to 11" (sorry, Nigel!)

To do that now on FW10, you'd presumably set the MV Trim to 1.11 or so....

I actually like using it to turn DOWN an amp's inherent gain, like the Suhr Badger, which was modeled with the "power knob" all the way up. To get some of the amps' factory settings (link on Wiki), I turn that master volume trim down to .70 or so, just to cut it back a little... not perfect solution but works. Same with a few Fenders that i want to be cleaner than "neutral" default, this is another option besides a lower "drive" setting....

I guess another bonus here is that MV and MV trim are mother modifier assignable...

it means you can essentially have two different control configs on the MV

so for example...
assign MV to an XP which will change your level an poweramp drive together
it'll sound more natural than assigning to just the level control because you'll clean as you fade out - which I rather like
and you can also assign the MV trim to an IA so you can boost to 11, get louder and more "poweramp driven"
in a case like this...
both the pedal and switch will work independently...
the outcome is more tonal possibilities in real-time = more expressive possibilities..

gonna have to goof with this..

Back
Top Bottom