Main interface suggestion for AES or SPDIF connection with Axe FX III

We all do :). But, you're not narrowing things down much by just saying "best". What kind of feedback would you expect if you went to an automobile forum and asked what the "best" car is? Or, for that matter if on this forum you asked what the best guitar is. The answer depends on your personal priorities. You'll have to be more forthcoming about how you see yourself using this interface. If you see yourself recording an Axe-FX using configuration #5 like Bruce, that would call for a different, albeit still high-end, interface than if you'll be recording chorale sessions in a Dante environment.

Maybe I’m wrong but doesn’t the USB-2 printer port “lock” in place better therefore making it more durable when plugged in? Could be wrong though.

USB- C would be great for fractal but I’m happy with an adapter.

Let me explain: I would like to have a Porche and drive it easily through the streets of the city and always know that it can take off when I want.
It is similar with the audio interface to which my Axe FX III is connected by AES connection. Just to be among the best. And maybe I won't buy it if I don't find what I want. For example I can't find a new RME Fireface UFX+ anywhere. Maybe UFXII or UCX II, although USB2 annoys me. But jamess announced to me the possibility soon resumption of production with them.
And maybe I'll start a new PC configuration with a Thunderbolt connection. What's a shame is that I spend a lot of time on this instead of making music.
Maybe Porche is not the best example, because again I go to the area of speed and not bandwidth, although the essence is the same.
Sounds to me that you are not the user for who USB vs Thunderbolt would be a significant factor or don't need a product that has 8 mic preamps etc.

I get wanting to buy quality and spend more for that but with audio interfaces you usually have to spend anything from 3-5x more for appreciable improvement over something relatively solid like the Focusrite Scarlett 2nd/3rd gen range.

One of the things RME is known for is rock solid drivers for any operating system and that has a lot of value to me. Ideally an audio interface is something that just works without having to deal with potential issues. Their products seem hard to get atm though.

Universal Audio interfaces to me are not a good buy for multiple reasons: They don't have a good track record for driver support especially on Windows, their onboard DSP is becoming increasingly irrelevant considering they are now offering their Spark plugin subscription and at least for me their set of I/O on their less pricy (but still very expensive) audio interfaces is not that appealing.

I've been occasionally considering replacing my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen with something nicer but so far haven't found a product that seems truly better for my needs which is just hobbyist recording stuff.

Maybe I’m wrong but doesn’t the USB-2 printer port “lock” in place better therefore making it more durable when plugged in? Could be wrong though.

IMO it's not a whole lot more robust or anything but it's still better than the alternatives available when the current gen Fractals were designed: Mini-USB and Micro-USB both of which are known for being flimsy. USB-A to USB-A is not really a thing.

USB-C is becoming the standard universal connector so I fully expect next gen Fractal would use that, it would be beneficial for their smaller units since it takes a good chunk less space.

I have been using MOTU AVB with Thunderbolt2 (I use a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter now). I like having my audio network available wherever I have a wired network connection in the house and I can pretty much route anything to anywhere with them (through the software matrix on Each device). I started w/ the 1248, the got an 16A for all my analog gear, after that an 8D, but used up the digital connections, and got a 112D, I have an Ultralight AVB for upstairs. If I wasn't so invested in AVB, I might have gone with a Dante solution. the 112D an 8D make it so I don't have to worry about Sample Rate conversion, It handles that for the digital connections. Most of the devices have ADAT in/outs so that gives me (32 additional) ins/outs. I did have H8000FW going through the 112D, but it died. I sent back to Eventide and they said do not have the parts to fix it any longer.

I have way more capacity than I will probably ever use, but the technology intrigues me.

IMO it's not a whole lot more robust or anything but it's still better than the alternatives available when the current gen Fractals were designed: Mini-USB and Micro-USB both of which are known for being flimsy. USB-A to USB-A is not really a thing.

USB-C is becoming the standard universal connector so I fully expect next gen Fractal would use that, it would be beneficial for their smaller units since it takes a good chunk less space.
Sounds to me that you are not the user for who USB vs Thunderbolt would be a significant factor or don't need a product that has 8 mic preamps etc.

I get wanting to buy quality and spend more for that but with audio interfaces you usually have to spend anything from 3-5x more for appreciable improvement over something relatively solid like the Focusrite Scarlett 2nd/3rd gen range.

One of the things RME is known for is rock solid drivers for any operating system and that has a lot of value to me. Ideally an audio interface is something that just works without having to deal with potential issues. Their products seem hard to get atm though.

Universal Audio interfaces to me are not a good buy for multiple reasons: They don't have a good track record for driver support especially on Windows, their onboard DSP is becoming increasingly irrelevant considering they are now offering their Spark plugin subscription and at least for me their set of I/O on their less pricy (but still very expensive) audio interfaces is not that appealing.

I've been occasionally considering replacing my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen with something nicer but so far haven't found a product that seems truly better for my needs which is just hobbyist recording stuff.
+1 on RME and their drivers. They put a lot of work on getting latency down while maintaining stability.

Thanks a lot on Universal Audio info.

If anyone has experience with Steinberg AXR4U with Axe FX III via AES connections, please let me know.

I am just going to say it.

To buy something just because someone says it's the "best" is just plain dumb.

As others have said the focusrite stuff is quite good nowadays, now 15 years ago that was another story. Back in 2009/10 focusrite came out with an interface that could emulate mic preamps. That interface was very good and started them out to creating the Clarett line which is basically the red line gen 2.

You will not find something that is really "great" that uses different a/d chips and has a better analog path until you get above 1K USD as far as price goes. You really need to think about what you really need not what you want (because sometimes that can put you into the 5k price bracket).

If that is 2 mic pres, a set of SPDIF connections and the ability to have good drivers and you are shooting for 1k, the you have a few options. Otherwise just get another focusrite. These days an interface won't make or break your signal chain. They are all different shades of crystal clear/clean.

I will give you a perfect reference.
When I was making changes in my home studio 10 years ago I got a 40 channel Neotek Elan 2 console with an Antelope Orion 32 channel converter and I grabbed a Burl B2 bomber to capture the 2 bus hoping I would get some of the tape goodness I had been missing after selling my 2 16 track studer decks.

You know what happened everything still sounded like my recordings and mixes. I bought all the latest "best" gear for each piece I was after and guess what, nothing really sounded all that different. My work flow changed, but that was it.

If you want something different and the drivers are your reasoning get a used RME. Rock solid!

If you want something that just works and stays out of your way and does the SPDIF the go for the focusrite.

If you want something more expensive and everyone thinks is good then go grab a UAD Apollo or an Antelope Zen Go. It has everything you are looking for and then some. I have had my Antelope Orion 32 for 11 years with zero issues. I had to contact support one time when a driver update corrupted all my digital patching in the unit. They replied in less than 2 hours and had instructions on what I had to do. I was back up and running in a few minutes from that email.

Don't just go buy something because of a name and people calling something the best.
A Porche won't make you a better driver. I know I have owned a couple. Fun, but a PIA to maintain.

My advice do your research as to what features you truly need and hold in the back of your mind what would be pluses if they were included and go find those in your next interface. I look for number of inputs, number of outputs, do they run +4 or -10, does it make my life easier when recording and mixing or do I need to constantly go change something in the interfaces software.

Last edited:
I am just going to say it.

To buy something just because someone says it's the "best" is just plain dumb.

As others have said the focusrite stuff is quite good nowadays, now 15 years ago that was another story. Back in 2009/10 focusrite came out with an interface that could emulate mic preamps. That interface was very good and started them out to creating the Clarett line which is basically the red line gen 2.

You will not find something that is really "great" that uses different a/d chips and has a better analog path until you get above 1K USD as far as price goes. You really need to think about what you really need not what you want (because sometimes that can put you into the 5k price bracket).

If that is 2 mic pres, a set of SPDIF connections and the ability to have good drivers and you are shooting for 1k, the you have a few options. Otherwise just get another focusrite. These days an interface won't make or break your signal chain. They are all different shades of crystal clear/clean.

I will give you a perfect reference.
When I was making changes in my home studio 10 years ago I got a 40 channel Neotek Elan 2 console with an Antelope Orion 32 channel converter and I grabbed a Burl B2 bomber to capture the 2 bus hoping I would get some of the tape goodness I had been missing after selling my 2 16 track studer decks.

You know what happened everything still sounded like my recordings and mixes. I bought all the latest "best" gear for each piece I was after and guess what, nothing really sounded all that different. My work flow changed, but that was it.

If you want something different and the drivers are your reasoning get a used RME. Rock solid!

If you want something that just works and stays out of your way and does the SPDIF the go for the focusrite.

If you want something more expensive and everyone thinks is good then go grab a UAD Apollo or an Antelope Zen Go. It has everything you are looking for and then some. I have had my Antelope Orion 32 for 11 years with zero issues. I had to contact support one time when a driver update corrupted all my digital patching in the unit. They replied in less than 2 hours and had instructions on what I had to do. I was back up and running in a few minutes from that email.

Don't just go buy something because of a name and people calling something the best.
A Porche won't make you a better driver. I know I have owned a couple. Fun, but a PIA to maintain.

My advice do your research as to what features you truly need and hold in the back of your mind what would be pluses if they were included and go find those in your next interface. I look for number of inputs, number of outputs, do they run +4 or -10, does it make my life easier when recording and mixing or do I need to constantly go change something in the interfaces software.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I know very well what I want, but I don't have the opportunity to try everything that catches my attention, and that's why I'm turning here. You mentioned Antelope, it was very interesting to me in the beginning because of the top-quality ADDA converters, 130dB, top-quality discrete electronic preamplifiers, but I was disappointed by the user experience with bad drivers, unreliable work, even malfunctions, bad technical support, but everyone said - when it works, it sounds magnificant.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I know very well what I want, but I don't have the opportunity to try everything that catches my attention, and that's why I'm turning here. You mentioned Antelope, it was very interesting to me in the beginning because of the top-quality ADDA converters, 130dB, top-quality discrete electronic preamplifiers, but I was disappointed by the user experience with bad drivers, unreliable work, even malfunctions, bad technical support, but everyone said - when it works, it sounds magnificant.
I had an Antelope Zen Go before I got the Presonus. It did sound nice when it worked, but driver issues were horrible. It felt like I was dealing with tech support more than I was simply using the unit.

Yeah that is going to be difference in Price.

My Orion 32 was almost 5k in 2011. Now the Gen3 is like 2600. Seems they might have chinsed on quality since my Original Orion 32.

I will say though that it sounds 3d where most others do not.

If drivers are most important. Then the RME without a doubt. I had 3 different cards in the early late 2000s and the drivers were the best part about them, near zero latency and the hardware was bullet proof. I even bought 2 RME devices used and still never a glitch.

I had an Antelope Zen Go before I got the Presonus. It did sound nice when it worked, but driver issues were horrible. It felt like I was dealing with tech support more than I was simply using the unit.
Thanks for the info Doug. Your experience with the Antelope interface confirms my knowledge.

I had a Fireface UFX that I connected to my AXE FX via AES. Rock solid. Had to sell the RME for financial reasons, but now I´m back in the market for an UFX+. Bandwith was never a problem with the "old" UFX, I could multitrack drums with 12 mics at once plus guitars, bass, vocs.
But I like to have the latest available tech, so its UFX+ now. I suspect they are doing a re-design, at least they should implement the FS clock the Babyface has. But that´s just speculation on my side here.

Due to the DAW and Asio driver limitation of using only one audio interface, I would use an AES or SPDIF connection of the Axe FX III with the main interface.
Does anyone have any experience to suggest which audio interface I should get to work with Axe FX III via AES or at least SPDIF connection? Through my research, I came to a dilemma between the RME Fireface UCX II (or UFX II) and the Steinberg AXR4U. There would be a USB connection with the host PC. RME has USB2 connection and Steinberg USB3 but RME has a very well developed USB2 driver and excellent technical support.
Any suggestions?
If memory serves, all the Steinberg interfaces have an optical (Toslink) digital connection. I'm running a Steinberg UR816C as my only interface and it's only digital connection is optical - the digital out on the Axe is S/PDIF coax. There are converter boxes that allow the two different connection types to talk with each other but I've not had much luck getting them to work consistently. Sometimes it works, but most of the time I get a crackling sound in the audio that usually happens with depth and/or bit rate mismatches but I've not been able to track it down. I just use a pair of XLR cables from OUT1 on the Axe to a pair of channels on the Steinberg - works and sounds great.

I had a Fireface UFX that I connected to my AXE FX via AES. Rock solid. Had to sell the RME for financial reasons, but now I´m back in the market for an UFX+. Bandwith was never a problem with the "old" UFX, I could multitrack drums with 12 mics at once plus guitars, bass, vocs.
But I like to have the latest available tech, so its UFX+ now. I suspect they are doing a re-design, at least they should implement the FS clock the Babyface has. But that´s just speculation on my side here.
Not a redesign, but the continuation of production soon, because the manufacturer of DAC chips for them, AKM, is returning to mass production soon after recovering from the fire, according to the information of a new member of the forum, jamess.

If memory serves, all the Steinberg interfaces have an optical (Toslink) digital connection. I'm running a Steinberg UR816C as my only interface and it's only digital connection is optical - the digital out on the Axe is S/PDIF coax. There are converter boxes that allow the two different connection types to talk with each other but I've not had much luck getting them to work consistently. Sometimes it works, but most of the time I get a crackling sound in the audio that usually happens with depth and/or bit rate mismatches but I've not been able to track it down. I just use a pair of XLR cables from OUT1 on the Axe to a pair of channels on the Steinberg - works and sounds great.
Steinberg AXR4U has AES input and output via Sub-D25 connector.

Last edited:

It's the center post of the type-B connector that's the problem. It's a weak point of the design and is absolutely notorious for breaking. USB-C is much more structurally sound (at least, that's how I understand it, I'm not an expert by any means)

FWIW, RME has the UFX+ now listed under "legacy products", so obviously they have a new flagship interface in the works

Back
Top Bottom