Bug? Mac USB Issues

well I went to try Pro Tools 9 tonight...but before I even got that far I went to have a look the Logic settings......

Every thing seems to be working!!!

I have changed nothing!!

The ONLY thing that i have done is to plug in the Windows laptop into the Axe-FX.

Odd!

I will try again over the next few days and update you.

I managed to record Stereo Wet and Mono Dry at the same time without pops.

hmmmm

there is voodoo going on here......

EDIT: can you describe what you had connected and how you was recording
also... does the problem return when the laptop is out and then go when the laptop is in.. basically is the problem repeatable and re-produceable?

Last edited:
there is voodoo going on here......

EDIT: can you describe what you had connected and how you was recording
also... does the problem return when the laptop is out and then go when the laptop is in.. basically is the problem repeatable and re-produceable?

When I fired up the mac last night, I connected a FireWire drive and an iLok (for ProTools).

I fired up logic and it worked.

I closed logic and reopened it ... It still worked.

I was not using the FireWire drive, so I disconnected it along with the iLok... Still worked.

I closed down all apps that I had running (I had done this in the past... Always do when recording anyway)

Very odd! The only thing that had changed is that I had plugged the PC in the day before to see if it did it on windows.

I will try again to day to see what happens.

As far as reproving it ... Apart from yesterday it happened every time I tried to record anything.

so now it works fine under all circumstances????

jeez.....
I really couldn't guess as to what's changed...
so I guess you're a happy bunny...

it's a shame though that we could identify something solid..
as in "you have to stand on one leg, poke it in the eye, wait 10 minutes, and when it recovers everything will start working"

hmmm, well I spoke too soon.

yesterday was fine.... today it was back.... but nowhere near as bad as it "Usually" is.

I am going to try and break this down, will take me a while as there are a lot of variables...but I work in IT so am used to troubleshooting complex issues...not dev issues but large infrastructure issues usually.

i will keep you updated.

hmmm, well I spoke too soon.

yesterday was fine.... today it was back.... but nowhere near as bad as it "Usually" is.

I am going to try and break this down, will take me a while as there are a lot of variables...but I work in IT so am used to troubleshooting complex issues...not dev issues but large infrastructure issues usually.

i will keep you updated.

so as you should know then... make one change and test... make one more change and test again..
the the prob goes away revert to the previous setup and make sure the prob comes back..

Sorry if this is obvious, but any time I've had the "popping" issues it has always been because of a clock sync issue. Have you guys tried changing the master clock? Or does the Axe II have to be the master?

I'm getting my Axe II on Monday and I use Macs for recording. I plan on creating an aggregate device using an old MOTU 828 and the Axe II. I've been following this issue, so if I encounter anything interesting, I'll try to let you guys know.

I'm running Lion 10.7.2 on my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.

I've tried all possibilities but it doesn't work.
Let us know if it works for you but i don't think so.

My mac pro is not a sandy bridge either (its a 2008 model). I'm having the same problem with pops, which has never happened with any other interface.

i've had the snap / crackle / pop problem for awhile. both on a mid-2007 imac and a early-2008 macbook. i recently had a drive failure on the macbook so ended up doing a complete rebuild with fresh wiped hard drive and clean os x install (snow leopard). just for kicks i installed nothing but os x and logic 9 (plus requisite software updates) and the axe II driver to see if maybe a totally clean install would help, but... no, still got the pops.

i'm regularly on a deadline so i'm back to using my duet. i remain hopeful that cliff and team fractal will figure this one out and make the USB audio ready for prime time on the mac platform. while they're at it i hope they will enable the software volume control in system prefs to allow for balancing overall system audio with the guitar signal without having to pull back the volume in each individual app to achieve a proper balance.

I received the Axe-Fx II last night. Set up an aggregate device with the Axe as the inputs and master clock source and the built-in outputs to monitor.

Fired up Reason 6, created 2 new stereo tracks and chose Axe input 1+2 for the processed sound and Axe input 3+4 for the dry signal (probably only need a mono track for the dry signal, right?).

Worked great. I hope it stays that way! (BTW, the sound is GREAT. I played patch 1, '59 Bassman for about 1.5 hours!)

Reason 6 is brand new, not sure if something different is going on with it as opposed to the software you guys are using. It's the easiest program I've ever used for quickly laying down great sounding tracks, plus it's resolution independent. It doesn't care if you add 44.1, 48 or 96, it makes it work.

I'm using a Mac Pro (1,1) with Lion 10.7.2. This must not be a universal Mac issue, but I hope you all find a solution soon. If something "pops" up for me, I'll be back to report.

Has anyone submitted a bug report to Apple on the issue?

i suppose it's good news and bad news that it works for some. the good news being that some configurations work. the bad news being that nobody seems to know why it's not working for the others.

i'm keeping my laptop in the clean install state i mentioned. other than the OS i've only installed logic 9, axe II drivers and axe-edit, apogee duet drivers, and firefox. if there are any tests i can perform to help narrow down the problem i'd be willing to give it a try.

I will add that on my system the pops and fluctuations also happen when playing music in itunes. It is far more noticeable when listening to uncompressed music such as classical, where you need to turn up out 1.

Last edited:
I guess I shouldn't have said anything! I did start getting some very faint pops last night. They started after playing a recorded track while jamming along with the Axe through Reason 6.

(I should add that the pops started after playing for a short period of time, they where not there immediately after pressing play on the recorded tracks.)

The strange thing is that I had the buffer at the default of 128 samples, but when I raised it, I got a horrible noise coming through on the record enabled Axe tracks I was monitoring. Completely unusable.

When I put the buffer all the way down (64 I think), everything worked fine. I have not encountered this in the past, usually the higher the buffer, the less likely you are to have pops or cracks.

Since everything is fine with monitoring when the track is NOT playing, I'm am guessing it is not a word clock issue but a buffering or installation conflict issue.

Last edited:
Last night I had my Mac connected to do some editing in Axe-Edit.

I did not have any DAW open or any audio programs like iTunes etc.

I did have Mail.app open and an email came in, the audio notification came through the Axe-FX II and I got the pop during the notification.

Looks like a driver issue.

I wonder if this will be fixed by a new driver with the 2x2 audio functionality being introduced in 3.0??

Back
Top Bottom