Mac aggregate soundcard Q? Focusrite+AxeFx II

Dutch

Fractal Fanatic
Anybody know this? I would like to tonematch my acoustics to their built-in pickups, but I don't have a stand-alone mic pre with phantom power (condenser mic).

Does anyone know how to run the mic into my Focusrite Scarlett and then from there into the USB in of the II as reference signal? Either with or without DAW in between (Reaper).

If possible I want to do a simultaneous tonematch. Not first record the reference and then play for the match, but both at once. I did the recording/match before and got decent results, but I want to shoot for best possible this time and using "both" eliminates a big source of differences.

Somehow I can't get the AxeFx to register the reference tone this way.

Last edited:
This may or may not work:

Set the Mac to use the Axe-FX as your sound card.
Set your DAW to use the Axe-FX as the output device.
On the Axe-Fx set your Main Input Source as Analog (In 2).
Plug your Mic into the Scarlett.
Take the Scarlett's Right output and plug it into the Rear input 2 of the Axe-Fx.
In your DAW, pan the stereo out hard left.
Use Focusrite Control to hard pan your mic right.
Set gain levels appropriately.
In Axe-Fx set Mode to Live, Ref Source to USB, Ref Channel to Left, and Local Channel to Right.

I would think this would get you there or near there. I can test it in a bit.
I do this same thing but have SPDIF running and can route things a bit easier.

Bought my Scarlett just before the new version came out. The Control software doesn't work with it, mine still has MixControl. Which is not very intuitive.
Maybe I will just use the Scarlett as a preamp and connect output 3 to the AxeFx. Just thought there might have been a more stylish way.

Last edited:
You might run into latency issues trying to match analog and usb inputs from the same source in real time. Use your Scarlett as the input for both the mic and piezo. Pan both inputs hard opposite each other and feed that into the Axe's inputs, using one as the source and the other as the reference.

Back
Top Bottom