Low, Medium, or High "Output" Pups. Your Preference & Why?

Low, Medium, High, Other

• Low

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Medium

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • High

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Thank you jlynnb1! Feel free to be more specific, as in what guitars and what music. This is the type of thing I would like to hear more about. Descriptive examples are always nice.

Medium for me. High output pickups tend to be muddy and lifeless, and "vintage" output tend to not have enough oomph, especially on a partially overdriven amp.

Then again, it also depends on the definition of "high" output. It means different things to different people.

Based on the music I play, which is generally not metal, I like low output pups for my Strats and Tele. I can always add gain into the signal, but it's hard to take away once it's there.

My SG has a Burstbucker 1 and 2, which I guess woulld be more medium output. They clean up really well and can get thick and sludgy. I really love that versatility.

I'm really enjoying splittable PAF style pickups. Enough power to push, but they clean up well.

BareKnuckle Blackhawks are pretty amazing, as they are somewhat higher output, but are still clear and clean up well. Also splittable.

For both, I tend to set my pickups a tad on the low side. Not too low, of course. So often, you see LP style guitars with the pickups flush to the pickup ring.

In other words, it's not just about the resistance of the pickup; height also plays a big role.

With single coils, medium, standard height. I almost found it easier with Strats to find the right height, regardless of which pickups. That is actually the problem with splittable humbuckers (finding the right height).

P90s are very interesting when it comes to power. P90 players typically want the growl, along with the ability to get a little muddy when driven. But, the good ones are famous for their "piano" tone, and also clean up well while being able to still cut through. They're really the anomaly, in a way. I like to keep my neck pickup a little lower, and the bridge just a little higher.

EMGs are always an interesting topic. I was told by a store owner/tech that to mimic standard pickups, run them at 7-8 volume. Anything above that is essentially a boost (i.e., making them hotter). I wish I had known that when I was 19. I haven't used them in years, and it took a while to get around their no noise benefit.

No need for high output pickups anymore with the amount of gain on amps. Worst case boost the front end. High output pickups were developed for driving the amp harder to get more gain when amps didn't have a lot of gain. They don't clean up well at all, and muddy up the tone.

Kinda depends on what you call high output. I LOVE Dimarzio SuperDistortion pickups, but I don't think you'd call them high output anymore. I realize with the axe, I could compensate for the output of just about any pickup, but there's something my ear really likes w/ the SD compared to other pickups (with the tones I always seem to dial up). Contrary to popular opinion, they're great for just about every style of music.
For ME, anything lower output just sounds anemic when I split it.

Low to medium is my preference, so I voted medium. It depends of course on your guitar and the tone you're going for.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom