Looking for speaker/monitor stands for a standing desk

nathan_393

Inspired
Hey folks! I've got a pair of Focal Alpha 65 Evos, which are quite large, sitting right on top of my sit/stand desk.

I'd like to put them on speaker shelves to get them a little closer to ear height. For uninteresting reasons, I need these speakers to stay on the desk when the desk rises or lowers. (I am aware the most ideal solution is a pair of floor stands; it just won't work in this office. Also, sometimes I play standing up in here, and I like to raise my desk to accommodate that when I do.)

All the desk stands I've looked at for speakers are pretty small. The Focal's are about 10.2" wide and 11.3" deep, so these are closer to HS8s in size than they are a 5" speaker. Does anybody have any speaker shelf recommendations they use for something in this size class?

Thank you!

Gator Frameworks or Gravity Stands desktop monitor stands would be more than capable of holding the Alphas.

Hey folks! I've got a pair of Focal Alpha 65 Evos, which are quite large, sitting right on top of my sit/stand desk.

I'd like to put them on speaker shelves to get them a little closer to ear height. For uninteresting reasons, I need these speakers to stay on the desk when the desk rises or lowers. (I am aware the most ideal solution is a pair of floor stands; it just won't work in this office. Also, sometimes I play standing up in here, and I like to raise my desk to accommodate that when I do.)

All the desk stands I've looked at for speakers are pretty small. The Focal's are about 10.2" wide and 11.3" deep, so these are closer to HS8s in size than they are a 5" speaker. Does anybody have any speaker shelf recommendations they use for something in this size class?

Thank you!
I use the isolation stands from IsoAcoustics. They raise mine to the right height (you can get different rods to vary the height), leaving them on the desktop while acoustically decoupling them from the surface. It was my perfect fit.

IsoAcoustics at Musicians Friend

I use the isolation stands from IsoAcoustics.
I've looked at these! They're not the most attractive option, but in lieu of anything else being a good fit I might end up here.
Gator Frameworks or Gravity Stands desktop monitor stands would be more than capable of holding the Alphas.
These are both less than 10" on at least one dimension. Given that they're totally flat, wouldn't that mean they don't securely hold the speakers in place? (If memory serves, you also use Focals, so I'm sure your recommendation is good, but I'm a dumb person, so I ask dumb questions.)

One other thought I had was to build a shelf that was as wide as my desk and a bit over 10" deep. Then I could just put my computer monitor and my speakers on it, and the problem would be theoretically solved with even a couple small acoustic pads. But that just seems like a lot more work for not much return, and I feel like it wouldn't work as easily for toeing in the speakers.

I've looked at these! They're not the most attractive option, but in lieu of anything else being a good fit I might end up here.

These are both less than 10" on at least one dimension. Given that they're totally flat, wouldn't that mean they don't securely hold the speakers in place? (If memory serves, you also use Focals, so I'm sure your recommendation is good, but I'm a dumb person, so I ask dumb questions.)

One other thought I had was to build a shelf that was as wide as my desk and a bit over 10" deep. Then I could just put my computer monitor and my speakers on it, and the problem would be theoretically solved with even a couple small acoustic pads. But that just seems like a lot more work for not much return, and I feel like it wouldn't work as easily for toeing in the speakers.
They're not totally flat, they have a lip on the front edge to keep them from sliding off if you have the top angled. An inch overhang at the back will not be a problem. I had a pair of On Stage monitor stands that are 9.5" square with the Focals and didn't have a single concern about or issue with them being secure, and they didn't have the lip. Size wise, I would lean toward the Gravity, the Gator is a bit too wide IMO. Better suited for wider monitors.

I use Iso Pucks, which don't provide a lot of height, however I have previously slid a small object underneath the front ones in order to tilt the speaker to ear height, which worked ok.
I recently added a keyboard tray below my desk, which added the additional height I wanted from the desk itself, without the need to tilt my speakers.

Attachments

• 20230712_111106.jpg
    20230712_111106.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
I use the 45” Ultimate Support MS45 stands and they are a decent height for sitting or standing

Thought about putting something in the desk itself but that would get pretty heavy with the wooden desktop, monitors etc

I finally got around to ordering the Gator desktop stand (the Gravity one is regrettably not available in Canada), and my problem is that it's just not wide enough. I might be sending them back.

IMG_1075.jpegHere you can see that the speaker is a little angled, because part of its base sits on the lip of the stand.

IMG_1076.jpeg

And here you can see how narrow the stand is compared to the speaker itself.

Construction-wise, these are... ok. I wish I had the floor space in here for a traditional stand though, because these are a little wobbly on my Jarvis desk.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The lip should be at the front or back of the monitor depending upon how the top is angled. If it's not angled, putting the lip at the heavier end of the monitor would likely be ideal. A bit surprised the feet don't have any adjustment to make them more stable.

The lip should be at the front or back of the monitor depending upon how the top is angled. If it's not angled, putting the lip at the heavier end of the monitor would likely be ideal. A bit surprised the feet don't have any adjustment to make them more stable.
It's a desk clamp, so there are no feet — it's only as stable as the desk. If I put the lip at the front or back, there's an overhang of a few inches.

A couple more quick photos attached below so you can see the lip situation.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1077.jpeg
    IMG_1077.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
I hear what you're saying for sure. It's very wobbly in either case when I'm actually using the desk (the desk is a little wobbly, so it's not the stand's fault. I might just return it and get an Iso Stand and just keep the monitor on a fully flat surface, for my own peace of mind.

I hear what you're saying for sure. It's very wobbly in either case when I'm actually using the desk (the desk is a little wobbly, so it's not the stand's fault. I might just return it and get an Iso Stand and just keep the monitor on a fully flat surface, for my own peace of mind.

I like that idea. You could also build something like a meter bridge.

I have some Iso-Acoustics stands that I've used from time to time. I honestly can't decide if they actually improve the sound or not (at least as a general rule), but they are reasonably solid and should get tall enough for your use.

Back
Top Bottom