Looking for creative solution... Simeon/Fremen/Yek/anyone?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a creative solution to allow me to sort of recreate the lead guitar in the breakdown of this song from my band TooMuchFiction. Starting at about 02:14 in this recording:

I recorded this using the Axe Fx. I used the wah plus an e-Bow to create the tone, but this was an in-the-studio inspiration... I don't ever use an e-Bow live and the thought of trying to grab one, get in position, change presets and get my foot on the wah all at basically the same time is a recipe for disaster.

During the last year or more, during this section, I just play a heavily muted lead with dotted-8th delays with a high mix. It works, but it's obviously nothing like the recording.

What I would love to do is get a preset together that has a similar vibe to what I created...

I'm thinking some combination of drive, filter and/or Wah, maybe something else plus an ADSR or LFO could get me close.

Thoughts and opinions are very welcome!

Thanks

Kevin

What about mixing a synth block in in parallel and feeding that in to the wah?

I've also used the PI Fuzz drive model in the past for faux eBox lines in the chorus on Duran Duran's Rio.

Try the attached preset. It uses the PI Fuzz approach for the pure wave sound you approach with an eBow. With a little delay to make it synthy. The wah is envelope controlled but I'd probably control it manually -- I just don't have my MFC board here with me right now.

Roll back your tone on your guitar to remove the pick attack on things and...uh...hold on at high volumes. :)

Attachments

• Faux Bow.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
What about mixing a synth block in in parallel and feeding that in to the wah?

I've also used the PI Fuzz drive model in the past for faux eBox lines in the chorus on Duran Duran's Rio.

Try the attached preset. It uses the PI Fuzz approach for the pure wave sound you approach with an eBow. With a little delay to make it synthy. The wah is envelope controlled but I'd probably control it manually -- I just don't have my MFC board here with me right now.

Roll back your tone on your guitar to remove the pick attack on things and...uh...hold on at high volumes. :)

I'll try the preset when I get a few minutes with the Axe Fx... Unless it's from an XL, in which case I am out of luck :(

I have not played with the synth block in a long time... Doesn't it require defining the pitch?

I'll try the preset when I get a few minutes with the Axe Fx... Unless it's from an XL, in which case I am out of luck :(

I have not played with the synth block in a long time... Doesn't it require defining the pitch?
It's from an XL.

You can do monophonic tracking. See the Zamfir (I think that's what it's called) factory preset.

It's from an XL.

You can do monophonic tracking. See the Zamfir (I think that's what it's called) factory preset.

Damn... I wish I would have seen this before I doubt the last hour or so playing around :) I'll check that out later.

But I actually did come up with something that would be a workable solution, and the PI Fuzz was key, so thanks for that! It definitely gets the drive sound of the e-Bow pretty nicely.

I tried using ADSR and envelope controllers, but didn't really get anything I was thrilled with...

So I used the PI Fuzz with the wah and the same dotted-8th delay as in the chorus, and I also stuck a volume block in front.

I set controllers on the drive, tone and level on the drive block, plus the wah and the volume to all be assigned to the same external pedal, and all with various long damping times (200-400ms) to round things out. I used small variations for the drive block controllers. The max value on all three controls was less than 2.0.

This gave me the ability to fade the drive, volume and wah with a single pedal.

I'll play around with this more later, but it's a pretty good ballpark.

I hear it layered, where you hear the attack of the note as the swell & wah take place layered over it. Is this the case?

If so, I would run a parallel path out of the amp into a filter or volume block with an ADSR attached to the level/output (long A, medium D & S, relatively short R) and feeding into the wah (whereas the other signal path out of the amp does not feed the wah).

It also sounds like your wah follows a fairly repetitive path in relation to the swells, so maybe attach it to the same ADSR, so that it sweeps from heel to toe in conjunction with the swells? One less thing to worry about on stage.

+1 for fuzz really helping these types of sounds. I prefer the Buzz Bender fuzz.

I hear it layered, where you hear the attack of the note as the swell & wah take place layered over it. Is this the case?

If so, I would run a parallel path out of the amp into a filter or volume block with an ADSR attached to the level/output (long A, medium D & S, relatively short R) and feeding into the wah (whereas the other signal path out of the amp does not feed the wah).

It also sounds like your wah follows a fairly repetitive path in relation to the swells, so maybe attach it to the same ADSR, so that it sweeps from heel to toe in conjunction with the swells? One less thing to worry about on stage.

+1 for fuzz really helping these types of sounds. I prefer the Buzz Bender fuzz.

You might be hearing the other guitarists part, which is playing a series of diads in 10ths...

I found that, yes, it does seem that I was sweeping the wah at a rate similar to that of the e-Bow swells... And that's why I ended up just assigning the same controller pedal for the wah, the drive and the volume. Actually, I think putting the delay onto the right setting also made it much better.

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a creative solution to allow me to sort of recreate the lead guitar in the breakdown of this song from my band TooMuchFiction. Starting at about 02:14 in this recording:

Two sounds come to mind:

Simon's Feedback Simulator and an E-bow simulator.

I've attached my versions of them. You need a pedal connected to External 1.

Attachments

• ECHO EBOW p.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 173
  • PITCH FEEDB p.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Ha just watched Reeves Gabriels playing that using a parker fly and I just learned the tapped part and was thinking this same thing hmm
wonder what would emulate the ebow sound ?

Just showed my son Ziggy and was learning it correctly myself and he said he had been listening to more Bowie of late
I told him I think Ill work on this song and he walked into the kitchen and I already had been working on it so I was able to
sing through it which never happens and his reply was well that didnt take long..

No son just my entire life of chasing tones and sounds and trying to get them right in my head..
He wanted to learn it then.. Now I can show him Hero's I was hacking my way through that one
and learning the tapped parts cause I could see where Gabriels was playing it.

Thanks for sharing this its like your in me head or something...

Bowie is already missed he was never boring or stale one second we have to give him that and he wrote some great tunes..
Worthy of learning note for note and correctly...

For Jamming good with screwed down hairdos.....

Have I mentioned how much I love the axe fx lately ?
Love this machine....

My tone sculpting time traveler which is cutting edge while keeping true with one foot in the past.

Two sounds come to mind:

Simon's Feedback Simulator and an E-bow simulator.

I've attached my versions of them. You need a pedal connected to External 1.

Awesome. Thanks!

I spent the day assembling a new Tele-style guitar from parts, so I'll give those a try tomorrow.

not sure you need to worry about the ebow element of it...i don't hear any notes that are long enough to need it.

i would concentrate on fuzz...maybe ringmod...and a filter

just for giggles, try attaching your cc pedal to the frequency of the ring mod

Back
Top Bottom