Looking for a someone that knows both the AXE FX III and the RJM Mastermind GT

Derry's Tech

Looking for a professional that is very familiar with the RJM GT pedals and the AXE FX III.

I am having midi communication issues between the RJM and the AXE FX III.

We are using two expression pedals plugged into the RJM GT 16.

One controls volume of 3 channels of the Fractal and one controls EFX parameters (delay time, flanger, etc).

The expression pedals are calibrated correctly and are responding on the RJM but the midi message is not being sent to the Fractal.

When trying to adjust the output volume in AXE EDIT, it shows that the parameter is being controlled but is stuck on -20db and will not adjust.

The RJM is sending the Fractal and other keyboards PC changes but the expression pedals do not work. They are set to channel 11 and 12.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Yek has a great knowledge of both, but I would advise you to post on the RJM related forum.

You are aware that the expression pedals must be mapped to the control inputs on the AFX3, yes?

Hi Derry's Tech,
I program a lot of RJM and Fractal rigs including rigs for Def Leppard and A Perfect Circle (using Masterminds as foot controllers). I can probably help you out.

As others have suggested, it sounds like you haven't mapped the expression controllers on the Axefx in the midi menu. Use the learn function and rock the expression pedals to see what midi CC they're mapped to. The MMGT editor will also help you find where they're mapped to and if they're sending continuous controller values or fixed values

Yek has a great knowledge of both, but I would advise you to post on the RJM related forum.
I talked to Ron from RJM on the phone for 2 hours last night trying to trouble shoot the issue, but we ran out of time before the opener.

For some reason the RJM forum will not send me a confirmation email, so cannot post about the issue on the RJM forum until I get that figured out.

Hi Derry's Tech,
I program a lot of RJM and Fractal rigs including rigs for Def Leppard and A Perfect Circle (using Masterminds as foot controllers). I can probably help you out.

As others have suggested, it sounds like you haven't mapped the expression controllers on the Axefx in the midi menu. Use the learn function and rock the expression pedals to see what midi CC they're mapped to. The MMGT editor will also help you find where they're mapped to and if they're sending continuous controller values or fixed values
Hey Rosh!

Would love to chat and pick your brain today if possible.

Feel free to email me at tyler.walker.awesome@gmail.com or give me a ring (850) 449-1206

I am also an AxeFXIII + MMGT user. Yek's recommendation is almost certainly the correct approach. The combination of AxeFX III and MMGT is amazing. I love that controller.

When you select the parameter "EXT CONTROLLER 1" in Setup > MIDI/Remote > External Controllers, press ENTER to start "Learn Mode
. Then wiggle the pedal to confirm that appropriate MIDI data is indeed reaching the Axe-Fx. If the value "NONE" changes to a number (11), then this confirms that valid MIDI data has in fact been received, and your controller should now work.

Hey Friends!

Thanks so much for your help. We got the two expression pedals working, but now we are having a different issue.

Our effects that are set in each AXEFXIII preset are turned on and off for different presets, but the RJM is not showing that the effect is engaged. (not turning the RJM led screen from from blue to aqua)

I can see when I switch presets that the efx block IS engaged in the fractal layout, but is not showing engaged on the RJM Mastermind.

Poll State is turned on. We have not had this issue in the pass, nothing has changed from our show file.

Hoping we are just missing a ticked box or its an easy fix. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey Friends!

Thanks so much for your help. We got the two expression pedals working, but now we are having a different issue.

Our effects that are set in each AXEFXIII preset are turned on and off for different presets, but the RJM is not showing that the effect is engaged. (not turning the RJM led screen from from blue to aqua)

I can see when I switch presets that the efx block IS engaged in the fractal layout, but is not showing engaged on the RJM Mastermind.

Poll State is turned on. We have not had this issue in the pass, nothing has changed from our show file.

Hoping we are just missing a ticked box or its an easy fix. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hey Derry,
(thanks for contacting me, glad the other issue got sorted out)
Just upon quickly looking at your RJM file the buttons on the buttons page aren't set for "send on preset change" or "update on preset change"

You'll need this enabled, then you can engage the effects on and off per preset in the RJM editor which will also turn on/off the effects blocks in the fractal. All assuming the CC#'s are correct. This makes the RJM the "remote control" of the fractal. The effects you need engaged per preset would be programmed in the RJM editor and written to the RJM file.

I also sent Yek's link above to your email, I would also advise doing those settings with bidirectional midi.

Try this and see if it helps, if not revert back to your previous file and see if we can do another approach.

So I have turned on "send on preset change" or "update on preset change" for all effect blocks in the RJM software, power cycled and still not seeing it engaged when switched to the preset.

If you switch to the preset, the correct effects are engaged on the fractal but do not show as engaged on the RJM.

If I turn on the effect using the RJM it does appear engaged and changes from blue to aqua.

If the effect is already engaged in the Fractal and you turn on the effect using the RJM is does nothing in the fractal becasue the effect is already on and if you turn off the effect via the RJM it does in turn turn the effect off in the Fractal.

So it seems that the RJM is communicating with Fractal correctly, but the Fractal is not communicating back to the RJM.

The Fractal is correctly sending PC changes to all keyboards, just not showing engaged effects when switch between presets.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help! It is greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon.

Your settings are okay. Except that it's advised to turn ON "Send Redundant PCs" in the GT config. At the Axe-Fx III side you turn on "Ignore Redundant PCs".

It seems like a physical MIDI connection error. How do you connect the RJM and Axe-Fx exactly? Which cables? Are you sure you're connected to MIDI IN and OUT (not: THRU) at the rear of the Axe-Fx? Does the Tuner work on the GT?

Regarding "Send on preset change" and "Update on preset change":
Rosh is correct that you need to engage those when you want the RJM to act as the overall Master, overriding preset settings.
But, from your explanations I understand that you want the RJM to "follow" the bypass states of the blocks in the Axe-Fx presets at first. That means that you must NOT enable those two parameters for each button. (Exception being buttons which control external controllers, which is another topic.)

So I have turned on "send on preset change" or "update on preset change" for all effect blocks in the RJM software, power cycled and still not seeing it engaged when switched to the preset.

If you switch to the preset, the correct effects are engaged on the fractal but do not show as engaged on the RJM.

If I turn on the effect using the RJM it does appear engaged and changes from blue to aqua.

If the effect is already engaged in the Fractal and you turn on the effect using the RJM is does nothing in the fractal becasue the effect is already on and if you turn off the effect via the RJM it does in turn turn the effect off in the Fractal.

So it seems that the RJM is communicating with Fractal correctly, but the Fractal is not communicating back to the RJM.

The Fractal is correctly sending PC changes to all keyboards, just not showing engaged effects when switch between presets.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help! It is greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon.
If you are using the MMGT and Axe-FX III (setting the effects on/off on the Axe-fx III and having the MMGT reflect that), then you should have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset change off for IA bypass/engage and channel selection.

Edit: That is with poll state on.

Back
Top Bottom