Logic Pro or garage band with axe fx 2

aaronv84

Inspired
Was wanting to know if anybody knew of a way to use the axe with the Mac DAW's with out using a interface. If it is possible can someone please explain how to do this. Thank you in advance

What I'm doing I want to run my axe fx to my Mac book pro via USB and use the MacBooks headphone jack for monitoring. I'm traveling out of town and don't have the room for monitors nor the amp

You need to use analog input from the Axe-Fx if you want to record in Garageband as it only supports 44 kHz sample rate. Either go for Logic or get Reaper.

Aaron,

I use garage band. I haven't really had any issues with just having my axe fx II hooked up via USB. I just change the Input MIDI to the Axe Fx II in preferences and I ensure that the Ouput is just set to default ( internal speakers). Hope this helps I am transitioning into using Reaper, but just starting out in the recording world.

Oh yah.....

Forshizzle

You really are better using Logic or Reaper, to avoid bitrate issues. The Axe fx has a set rate of 48k, that's what you need to set your project settings to. It's worth the investment, Garageband is a toy for kids and Apple "Geniuses".

Use Logic. Go to Settings and Audio. Change the project sample rate to 48k. If you stick with 48k and 24 bit, you won't go far wrong.

I'd go for Logic over Garage Band for sure. +1 for Reaper. Logic isn't being developed. 9 has been out for eternity. Reaper is deep and has a steep learning curve (definitely go for the Groove3 training video course) but rapidly developed and is awesome (disclaimer I use Digital Performer 8 for my primary DAW which I also highly recommend). Plus reaper is the cheapest Tier 1 DAW. I'd also recommend Presonus Studio One and even Reason over Garage Band.

I travel for business extensively. You can use the 1/8th inch out on the macbook. I've done it many times. But I don't recommend it. You can get a small bus powered 2in/2out I/O from many suppliers. What I do these days is carry a Focusrite VRM (virtual reference monitor) and Shure SHR440s, very high quality for only $150 but VRM is output only which suits my needs, and use my MOTU 828 mk3 in the studio. I have the 828 mounted in the small rack as the Axe-FX permanently wired and travel with that extensively as well. If you carry speakers (tiny monitors or headphones) keep them in the cabin. Changing pressure and temperature in the luggage compartment will kill them in no time.

I have both logic and garage band and learning them but I really like it. the Easier the better for me !!!

You really are better using Logic or Reaper, to avoid bitrate issues. The Axe fx has a set rate of 48k, that's what you need to set your project settings to. It's worth the investment, Garageband is a toy for kids and Apple "Geniuses".

Works great for me. I'm neither a kid nor an Apple "Genius". Garageband is an awesome DAW with so many features the average home hobbyist like me won't even get to them.

I've had ZERO issues with recording through the Axe FX II directly via USB into my MBP.

Why all the hate for GB???

Garage band I think is pretty cool too very simple and I've seen friends do some really cool things with it. I'm not hating on reaper but don't want to deal with huge learning curves. Lets agree to agree or agree to disagree!! I thank y'all so much for the help and thanks for being cool people!!!!!

I'd go for Logic over Garage Band for sure. +1 for Reaper. Logic isn't being developed. 9 has been out for eternity. Reaper is deep and has a steep learning curve (definitely go for the Groove3 training video course) but rapidly developed and is awesome (disclaimer I use Digital Performer 8 for my primary DAW which I also highly recommend). Plus reaper is the cheapest Tier 1 DAW. I'd also recommend Presonus Studio One and even Reason over Garage Band.

I travel for business extensively. You can use the 1/8th inch out on the macbook. I've done it many times. But I don't recommend it. You can get a small bus powered 2in/2out I/O from many suppliers. What I do these days is carry a Focusrite VRM (virtual reference monitor) and Shure SHR440s, very high quality for only $150 but VRM is output only which suits my needs, and use my MOTU 828 mk3 in the studio. I have the 828 mounted in the small rack as the Axe-FX permanently wired and travel with that extensively as well. If you carry speakers (tiny monitors or headphones) keep them in the cabin. Changing pressure and temperature in the luggage compartment will kill them in no time.

Lol I have the bererdynamic DT 990's running into Mac books 1/8 inch like yourself. Also my axe fx is in a rack bag connected via USB... This set up is working great now I can practice over my backing tracks, easy keys/easy drummer, just wish the axe fx was smaller! Lol but sadly that won't happen

Garageband is simple and easy. Its powerful and FREE too. Axe FX II works just fine with Garageband. Unless you want some really high quality audio for movies and stuff and you need more features, I say just use Garageband. :)

Back
Top Bottom