Lightweight Matrix 2x12 Guitar Cab

Still Waiting for someone to develop a 2x12 FRFR STEREO powered cab with a 2u slot on the (top at the back like on an AC30). I for one would be "all over that".
Mick Farlow at XiTone made me that exact cab, except 2x10 stereo. I bet he'd be willing to do a 2x12.

Still waiting for that video with the 7 string and bass demo....

hi...
if Matt [Matrix] is struggling to get an ok sound from the 7-string demo
here's why I think it may be the case...

the room we did it in [at the guitar show] was a sort of large-ish one [40' to 50' square] off to the side of the main exhibition hall
it had a high ceiling, hard walls and was pretty empty
so it was seriously 'live'
we also had to get the level up to mask the background dross coming from the main exhibition hall
couple that with the low tuning and Matt's mic's being about 10' from me [placing him a little deeper into the ambience]
and... given that I was playing through a Q12 [FRFR] I was using my studio presets [EQ'd for cans]
these worked perfectly fine at moderate levels when you're chatting to folk and demoing [and you don't really care about getting much above the background dross]
but they're not quite so fine when you get the level up
so all this could make for some nice standing waves in the room and some boominess...
it's a shame we didn't have more time and a better environment

if Matt manages to post up a clip and the audio is only passable, this is certainly not a reflection of the Q12
cos it sounded amazing from where I was stood..
but being short of time and in a very bad environment conspired against us...

one thing that is certain though... which I can state with absolute conviction..
the low A did not vanish, woof or chafe...
it was all there, balanced, loud and clear

EDIT: if the recording Matt posts can be considered to be a stop gap / satisfier of curiosity
maybe in the not to distant future we can get together in a studio / better room and try to go for a better shot

Last edited:
To answer questions that I've had on this stand, it's a Quik Lok QL/400 Fully Adjustable Mixer/Studio Locator Stand

Just so you can get a good view of the stand:

62131_531528676870567_529448017_n.jpg

You can see that it is at an appropriate height for editing, at which it is stable: I was rolling it out of the venue to the car and it was good (although some plum nearly walked into it). It can be lowered, for the rowdier venue, and the tray tilted back for ease of viewing/editing.

I left it on the stand for six hours, whilst fiddling with the AF2 and the 1500 (trade show noise wars), and there was no problem.

Platform dimensions

Width range: 14" to 21" - 36.5 to 53.5cm
Depth range: 11.8" to 16" - 30 to 40.5 cm
Height (side lip): 2" - 5cm
Tilt angle range: 360
Height positions (5): 27.2", 29.7",32.3",34.8", 37.4" - 69, 75.5, 82, 88.5, 95 cm
(measured from platform titl swivel to floor)
Diameter of wheel base: 22.8" - 58cm
Weight Capacity: 80lb - 36.2kg
Weight: 13.8lb - 6.2kg

Last edited:
I would freak if I had that on a stage, I would be so paranoid that someone could come along and tip it over :shock .

I have a Matrix Q12a and my only complaint (other than having to reach way back behind it to get to the power switch, like most powered speakers) is that it's narrower than a rack..

Try TT Cabs' 1x12. Being baffled it's wider than a normal 1x12 so it fits underneath an Axe rack.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg585/HugoMack/c0170caa.jpg

Regarding stands and wedges, my setup uses a £30 amp stand - used here with one of my TT Cabs on its side tilted backwards for rehearsals (I normally use two TT Cabs the right way up, on top of each other with the Axe rack on top.)

Last edited:
hi...
if Matt [Matrix] is struggling to get an ok sound from the 7-string demo
here's why I think it may be the case...

the room we did it in [at the guitar show] was a sort of large-ish one [40' to 50' square] off to the side of the main exhibition hall
it had a high ceiling, hard walls and was pretty empty
so it was seriously 'live'
we also had to get the level up to mask the background dross coming from the main exhibition hall
couple that with the low tuning and Matt's mic's being about 10' from me [placing him a little deeper into the ambience]
and... given that I was playing through a Q12 [FRFR] I was using my studio presets [EQ'd for cans]
these worked perfectly fine at moderate levels when you're chatting to folk and demoing [and you don't really care about getting much above the background dross]
but they're not quite so fine when you get the level up
so all this could make for some nice standing waves in the room and some boominess...
it's a shame we didn't have more time and a better environment

if Matt manages to post up a clip and the audio is only passable, this is certainly not a reflection of the Q12
cos it sounded amazing from where I was stood..
but being short of time and in a very bad environment conspired against us...

one thing that is certain though... which I can state with absolute conviction..
the low A did not vanish, woof or chafe...
it was all there, balanced, loud and clear

EDIT: if the recording Matt posts can be considered to be a stop gap / satisfier of curiosity
maybe in the not to distant future we can get together in a studio / better room and try to go for a better shot

Hi there,
I will finish tidying sound as best as possible before uploaded later tonight. Will definately hook up with Clarky in a room less condusive to standing waves and capture both the 7 string dropt tuned again, and a bass.
Best regards
Matt

I would freak if I had that on a stage, I would be so paranoid that someone could come along and tip it over :shock .

Just put it a bit further back on the left side of the stage and ask security to keep people off stage.. No prob. :D

That, or I just lower it, which makes it as stable as your office furniture. I was giving it a bit of a jiggle to see how much I could get away, which was quite a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the info, Chris. Placed an order for one yesterday. Been looking for something like this for quite a while now. Never thought to look for "mixer" stands. :mrgreen

We are going to re-record this, but here is something for the guys that wanted to hear drop tuned A 7 string through an Axe II and Q12a. Clarky has already given some feedback on the sound in the room, ( which put a smile on my face whilst trying to capture it for you ).

Best regards
Matt

ahh.. you can hear that my 7th string is a .60
from time to time it sharpens a little when you 'lay into it' a little with the picking...
a .60 just isn't thick enough for that sort of thing..

next time I'll pop a .62 on there..
should make tuning stability a little better...
the main thing though is that the vid [in spite of my .60 - which is fine at B btw] demonstrates that the Q12 lacks no spuds when you get down and dirty..

erm... when you're playing in drop-A it don't quite make you feel like sitting on a sofa cross legged, singing about pixies and flowers and stuff.. lol..
and that's because it's actually against the law

the problem with me playing forwards is all the subliminal messages that come out
which are in fact about pixies and flowers and stuff

Damn this looks interesting.
Can't believe its only 13 kg.
You guys just keep amazing me.

Well it'd be those neodymium magnets. :)

Someone had a bit of a laugh at my expense with a neo-loaded DV Mark cab. Knew nothing about 'em, and at the end of the night when it was just a few of us left in the place and about time to start packing up, he asks me to carry the 2x12 off the stage for him coz he has a dodgy back and it's a strangely heavy cab. Was preparing myself for a bit of weight and nearly fell on my arse when I lifted it. I hadn't showed up yet when they were using it on stage though, so I never got to hear how it sounded. Apparently it worked well for the DV Mark stuff, but sounded a bit weak with other amps they tried through it.

Back
Top Bottom