LIGHT-WEIGHT FRFR Solutions

Tones2

Experienced
Newbie here. I'm looking for a powered FRFR solution for the axe fx 2 that is both LIGHT in weight, inexpensive and looks something like a guitar amp with a handle. I've search the forum and there are a lot of great suggestions, but almost all are heavy (i.e. over 45 pounds) and look like studio or stage monitors instread of a guitar amp.

As an alternative, I'm also wondering if anyone makes a cabinet that can house the axe fx 2 in a rack on top and a powered frfr on the bottom in the same unit with a handle - kinda like if you had a combo amp. Probably not as I couldd not find anything like this with searching for awhile, but just thought I'd ask just in case. :)

Newbie here. I'm looking for a powered FRFR solution for the axe fx 2 that is both LIGHT in weight, inexpensive and looks something like a guitar amp with a handle. I've search the forum and there are a lot of great suggestions, but almost all are heavy (i.e. over 45 pounds) and look like studio or stage monitors instread of a guitar amp.

As an alternative, I'm also wondering if anyone makes a cabinet that can house the axe fx 2 in a rack on top and a powered frfr on the bottom in the same unit with a handle - kinda like if you had a combo amp. Probably not as I couldd not find anything like this with searching for awhile, but just thought I'd ask just in case. :)

Check out the new offerings from Mission Engineering. I'm not sure about light weight though....

Gemini Amplifiers Archives | missionengineering.commissionengineering.com

Hey Tones2,

It all depends on what you want and what you consider heavy.

Here is a 2x12 cab with the amp built in that I did for a customer last year:

5901BF3E-45E3-47D0-94B7-F8E877D49769-13254-00000F38B748B018_zps0f35c0a6.jpg

As for weight, The AxeII alone will add almost 15lbs to the cab. A Matrix GT800FX (probably one of the lightest 1U amps on the market) will add another 8lbs or so.

I am happy to work with you to use state of the art materials and techniques that are light and strong to make you what you want as light as it can be made and still be durable over the long haul.

You can email me at xitonecabs@gmail.com for more info if you want.

Thanks,

Mick

Mhhh... I guess that FRFR, lightweighted *and* inexpensive is not going to fit any equation...Be aware that being 2-way or ported (or even being labeled as "FRFR"!) doesn't make a cab automatically sound "FRFR" (i.e. linear, transparent etc.).The two suggested solutions partially respond to your quest tho.:)

Mhhh... I guess that FRFR, lightweighted *and* inexpensive is not going to fit any equation...Be aware that being 2-way or ported (or even being labeled as "FRFR"!) doesn't make a cab automatically sound "FRFR" (i.e. linear, transparent etc.).The two suggested solutions partially respond to your quest tho.:)

I guess lightweight is WAY more important than inexpensive, up to a limit at least. I'm talking under 40 lbs and under $1000, to be more specific.

Hey Tones2,

It all depends on what you want and what you consider heavy.

Here is a 2x12 cab with the amp built in that I did for a customer last year:

5901BF3E-45E3-47D0-94B7-F8E877D49769-13254-00000F38B748B018_zps0f35c0a6.jpg

As for weight, The AxeII alone will add almost 15lbs to the cab. A Matrix GT800FX (probably one of the lightest 1U amps on the market) will add another 8lbs or so.

I am happy to work with you to use state of the art materials and techniques that are light and strong to make you what you want as light as it can be made and still be durable over the long haul.

You can email me at xitonecabs@gmail.com for more info if you want.

Thanks,

Mick

Thanks. I was talking more about an axes fx 2 with a powered lightweight frfr in a single cabinet, not so much a separate power amp. However, it appears almost impossible to find a lightweight frfr speaker under 25 pounds or so if I want the full unit not to exceed 40-45 pounds. I must be the only really weak person here, he he.

Atomic Neodymium CLR is truly amazing. But it ain't cheap. Light + Good + Cheap ain't happening. You get what you pay for...

Tones2 said:
Thanks. I was talking more about an axes fx 2 with a powered lightweight frfr in a single cabinet, not so much a separate power amp. However, it appears almost impossible to find a lightweight frfr speaker under 25 pounds or so if I want the full unit not to exceed 40-45 pounds. I must be the only really weak person here, he he.

Well, I can build a powered 1x12 FRFR cab (mono) with a GM50 and come in under 30lbs, maybe even closer to 25. (I'll do the math on it a little later today)

If you want to make it big enough to hold the Axe then add 18-22lbs or so.

Atomic Neodymium CLR is truly amazing. But it ain't cheap. Light + Good + Cheap ain't happening. You get what you pay for...

Yeah but 45 lbs is heavy to me for just the frfr powered speaker. Plus a 15 pound rack head. That's 60 lbs I have to carry around (no car here). I wish they would make some lighter weight solutions.

Well, I can build a powered 1x12 FRFR cab (mono) with a GM50 and come in under 30lbs, maybe even closer to 25. (I'll do the math on it a little later today)

If you want to make it big enough to hold the Axe then add 18-22lbs or so.

Interesting...wouldn't the power amp affect the axe fx 2 tone? I want to use the power amp and cab from the axe fx 2 itself.

Yeah but 45 lbs is heavy to me for just the frfr powered speaker. Plus a 15 pound rack head. That's 60 lbs I have to carry around (no car here). I wish they would make some lighter weight solutions.

The Neodymium version of the CLR is 33 lbs.

Dyminium model is NOT 45 LBS. That's why I mentioned it. It's 32.3 LBS. Costs a LOT more. Worth it, for me. Dunno why they don't show it and its specs on their site, but it's available. I got one 3 weeks ago with ZERO wait time.

Interesting...wouldn't the power amp affect the axe fx 2 tone? I want to use the power amp and cab from the axe fx 2 itself.

Any power amp I install is FRFR so it would be well suited for the Axe. Same for speakers.

As for transporting the cab.... what if whatever you had was on wheels, such that you could pull it behind you like one would do with luggage? I can envision a vertical type cab with a 1x12 driver in it, a 3U rack space in the top and an extension handle on wheels so that you can tilt it and roll it wherever you need to go. It'll not be the lightest but will be easily portable.

I know they're not popular or trendy anymore but I still like my QSC k10s. Well under $1k, 1000w, 28 lbs. I bought them when I was having back problems and they still seem to be a decent solution. Most of the time I run mono (since running in stereo doesn't do you any good if your mains are mono), but I have been known to run with a pair now and then. They have 2 inputs and a mixer. They're nice and flat and I've used them for synth, acoustic, etc. They've also been bulletproof for a couple of years now. Try them before you dismiss them.

Pneil2

As someone who owns both the QSC's and a CLR, I have to disagree. They sounded good... until the CLR. Not even close now.
I know they're not popular or trendy anymore but I still like my QSC k10s. Well under $1k, 1000w, 28 lbs. I bought them when I was having back problems and they still seem to be a decent solution. Most of the time I run mono (since running in stereo doesn't do you any good if your mains are mono), but I have been known to run with a pair now and then. They have 2 inputs and a mixer. They're nice and flat and I've used them for synth, acoustic, etc. They've also been bulletproof for a couple of years now. Try them before you dismiss them.

Pneil2

Just to be clear here, there is no power amp in an Axe-FX--the power amp modeling emulates how a power amp sounds, but the output is still a line-level signal. No matter what you connect to the Axe there still needs to be a power amp in the chain if you want to listen to it without using headphones.

Danny W.

Just to be clear here, there is no power amp in an Axe-FX--the power amp modeling emulates how a power amp sounds, but the output is still a line-level signal. No matter what you connect to the Axe there still needs to be a power amp in the chain if you want to listen to it without using headphones.

Danny W.

Yes - I knew that. I was talking about the SOUND of an external guitar type power amp coloring the sound.

Dyminium model is NOT 45 LBS. That's why I mentioned it. It's 32.3 LBS. Costs a LOT more. Worth it, for me. Dunno why they don't show it and its specs on their site, but it's available. I got one 3 weeks ago with ZERO wait time.

Yes. That looks very interesting but MAN it's $1400!! That's too much for me. Plus, I can't find this available anywhere.

What about the Mackie DLM12? It's 2000 watts in a 31 pound package in cost a still expensive but much more reasonable $850 and is readily available.

Yes. That looks very interesting but MAN it's $1400!! That's too much for me. Plus, I can't find this available anywhere.

What about the Mackie DLM12? It's 2000 watts in a 31 pound package in cost a still expensive but much more reasonable $850 and is readily available.
Hi Tones2,

Check your PM. I left you a message yesterday morning.

To all, to avoid any confusion, we have stock an all CLR models both in the US and EU (for the moment). We are still using the Reserve List to take orders as we update our website. You should get an invitation to purchase within 24 hours of sending in your request. We'll announce the new web store on FaceBook when it's up in a week or two.

Best,

Tom

Hi Tones2,

Check your PM. I left you a message yesterday morning.

To all, to avoid any confusion, we have stock an all CLR models both in the US and EU (for the moment). We are still using the Reserve List to take orders as we update our website. You should get an invitation to purchase within 24 hours of sending in your request. We'll announce the new web store on FaceBook when it's up in a week or two.

Best,

Tom

Thanks I did get that.

Actually, the CLR Neo's sound like they'd sound awesome and at 33 pounds pretty light-weight. But at $1400, it' way out of my price range. And the non-neo version at a still expensive for me but more reasonable $1000 is way too heavy for me at 45 pounds. So unfortunately I don't think either is a solution for me here.

Back
Top Bottom