LFJR toggling 8P and 8S

nnajar

I put this over at the LF forum but there isn't a lot of activity over there so i thought I'd put it here in hopes of getting an answer.

I want to start the LFJR in 8P mode and have the menu key toggle between 8P and 8S. I can set it up for a quick tap and make it go one direction. Voes on the other board gave me these directions: http://voes.be/liquidfoot/jr/expert_jr_s-p_mode.html

and they work, but it isn't exactly what I want to do. these directions start you in 8P and when you select a rpeset, it automatically goes to 8S. then you tap back to 8P to select another preset. I want to stay in whatever mode Im' in and use the menu to toggle back and forth, like I used to do with my boss gt10.

so I tried to modify his instructions but setting up a step command, and the wierd part is, it worked, but after one or 2 toggles, it just stopped responding to the command as if I hadn't programmed it. reinitialize the unit and sometimes it would work and sometimes not. all other functions acted as normal. so i can only think that I set it up wrong. I would love a solution if someone can help me out!

N

EDITED: I forgot to give you the example to solve your question.

I must have missed the post over there. Your request is simple to do:

In this example I will program switch IA63 to do this-- assume #64 is Tuner.

1. IA Switch #63 Edit
a. Switch TYPE: Step-Thru
b. Program 4 MIDI COMMANDS AS FOLLOWS:
ON 01: M:SPECIAL 1:001 2:000 (STEP #1)
ON 02: M:SPECIAL 1:012 2:00X (change to Button mode : X = mode to toggle to )
ON 03: M:SPECIAL 1:001 2:000 (STEP #2)
ON 04: M:SPECIAL 1:012 2:00X (change to Button mode : X = mode to toggle to )

NOTE: Mode 0 = 4B, Mode 1 = 3B, Mode 2 = 8P, Mode 3 = 8S

So to do what you want-- the message 02: X=3 (8S mode) and message 04: X=2 (8P mode). Then it will properly toggle back and fourth as you would like including when presets are changed.

2. GLOBAL MENU-- Set Menu hold 2S = 63 (IA Switch to trigger when menu is pressed for 2S) Set menu hold 3S for Tuner

3. GLOBAL MENU OPTION (in firmware V2.00+) there is an option to "REVSE MENU HOLD?" this means reverse the menu key behavior. If you set this to ON- then the first quick tap of Menu key will trigger MENU HOLD 2S button (the mode switching per above). A 2 second hold of the menu key will trigger the 3S menu hold trigger. a 3 second or more hold of the menu key will trigger (bank select/ menu system).

so if you set REVSE MENU HOLD ON and program the 2S trigger to switch 63- then a quick tap of the menu key will toggle the states of 63 and allow you to switch modes with a single menu tap!

I will make sure this function works now that I thought about it in v2.01. Will send that out tonight/tomorrow!

U2JustMe said:
EDITED: I forgot to give you the example to solve your question.

I must have missed the post over there. Your request is simple to do:

In this example I will program switch IA63 to do this-- assume #64 is Tuner.

1. IA Switch #63 Edit
a. Switch TYPE: Step-Thru
b. Program 4 MIDI COMMANDS AS FOLLOWS:
ON 01: M:SPECIAL 1:001 2:000 (STEP #1)
ON 02: M:SPECIAL 1:012 2:00X (change to Button mode : X = mode to toggle to )
ON 03: M:SPECIAL 1:001 2:000 (STEP #2)
ON 04: M:SPECIAL 1:012 2:00X (change to Button mode : X = mode to toggle to )

NOTE: Mode 0 = 4B, Mode 1 = 3B, Mode 2 = 8P, Mode 3 = 8S

So to do what you want-- the message 02: X=3 (8S mode) and message 04: X=2 (8P mode). Then it will properly toggle back and fourth as you would like including when presets are changed.

2. GLOBAL MENU-- Set Menu hold 2S = 63 (IA Switch to trigger when menu is pressed for 2S) Set menu hold 3S for Tuner

3. GLOBAL MENU OPTION (in firmware V2.00+) there is an option to "REVSE MENU HOLD?" this means reverse the menu key behavior. If you set this to ON- then the first quick tap of Menu key will trigger MENU HOLD 2S button (the mode switching per above). A 2 second hold of the menu key will trigger the 3S menu hold trigger. a 3 second or more hold of the menu key will trigger (bank select/ menu system).

so if you set REVSE MENU HOLD ON and program the 2S trigger to switch 63- then a quick tap of the menu key will toggle the states of 63 and allow you to switch modes with a single menu tap!

I will make sure this function works now that I thought about it in v2.01. Will send that out tonight/tomorrow!

thanks so much! that's how I thought it should be programmed and that's what I did. it doesn't work. *sometimes* it does it, and most times just ignores the command, which is strange to me. Let me know what you find out. thanks for your help!

N

don't worry- v2.01 is coming out on Sat and it will allow this functionality from MENU.

It will work as the above email states just fine- Expression pedals with "switches" connected (such as the Mission exp with switch) will also trigger full IA stomp functionality as well now using IA link. All steps, quick-taps, STOMP and other modes of IA switch all work flawlessly. So menu and expression pedals can now act like additional IA switches.

Jeff

U2JustMe said:
don't worry- v2.01 is coming out on Sat and it will allow this functionality from MENU.

It will work as the above email states just fine- Expression pedals with "switches" connected (such as the Mission exp with switch) will also trigger full IA stomp functionality as well now using IA link. All steps, quick-taps, STOMP and other modes of IA switch all work flawlessly. So menu and expression pedals can now act like additional IA switches.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm looking forward to it!

N

U2JustMe said:

Jeff

Awesome jeff!!

This is spectacular news. I was considering other platform options (i.e. the bigger LF, LG, etc.) to achieve just this. Thank you "N" for posting the idea/question!!!! I did not even know to ask it. Cannot wait for the v2.01 solution (assuming I can figure it out :oops: )

I completely dig the LFJr -- this new function, accessible from the menu, will be such a boon! :mrgreen:

How do you actually get it to toggle back and forth? I did what was prescribed in this thread and all it does is switch it from 4B to 8S once. After that I've got to scroll through the various set ups (3B, 4B, etc..) to get out of the mode I'm in.

download v2.01. This feature was added for MENU key support- will work fine without changing the programming if you did what was described above.

email if you have any problems after v2.01. Its on the web today.

U2JustMe said:
download v2.01. This feature was added for MENU key support- will work fine without changing the programming if you did what was described above.

email if you have any problems after v2.01. Its on the web today.

thanks jeff!

I'll grab that now. did you see my post on the LF support forum about the random program changes going on? occasionally, during the gig over th weekend, my rig would just switch to patch 6 on the axe fx. it's correlated with me using the wah, but it did it once on it's own without me touching anything at all.

Also, I noticed the midi in light on the axefx is lighting up in time with the tempo light. It nver used to do that before 2.0. it's as if it's constantly sending the tap signal. don't know if it's related or even an issue. it doesn't bother me unless it's not supposed to do that and if maybe it's causing (or a symptom of) the strange behavior i'm getting.

I'm getting 2.01 now. thanks for all your help and great support.

N

2.01 order is served... thanks, Jeff!

Downloaded / installed into LFJr just fine. Will try to work now to do the 8P & 8S toggle programming dance.

the midi in light blinking means you are looping midi commands... Simple:

1. in GLOBAL menu on JR. - shut off MIDI THRU.

2. In AXE-FX, set the SYSEX send to TUNER DATA only (IO-> MIDI page)

problem will go away.

U2JustMe said:
the midi in light blinking means you are looping midi commands... Simple:

1. in GLOBAL menu on JR. - shut off MIDI THRU.

2. In AXE-FX, set the SYSEX send to TUNER DATA only (IO-> MIDI page)

problem will go away.

Thanks Jeff,

I did that and the midi in thing stopped.

I updated to 2.01 and my volume works, but the wah doesn't and also now my tuner won't come up and it won't switch from 8p to 8s and back. it just ignores any of the menu hold commands. It will let me into the menu though.

N

I tried to program the "8P & 8S toggle" function, but my many attempts failed. Are there any clearer instructions to program this function in the Junior manually (or screen shots of the editor)?

firmware 2.01 has a bug. the 8P/8S doesn't work at the moment

I'm sure jeff will bring out a new firmware ASAP

voes said:

Ugh... thanks.

BTW, REALLY appreciate your thorough and painstaking efforts to connect the dots and do the step-by-step. Very helpful, Patrick :D

GreenTea said:
voes said:

Ugh... thanks.

BTW, REALLY appreciate your thorough and painstaking efforts to connect the dots and do the step-by-step. Very helpful, Patrick :D

Thanks! Reading the forum here and on the LF, I felt that there was a real need for some step-by-step guide.

Updated the menu for a better overview: http://voes.be/liquidfoot/jr/

Voes- No bug- it works fine... for those looking to TOGGLE 8S/8P with quick menu tap, then get to the Tuner by holding the MENU key for 2 seconds... here is how you do it:

Step by Step (I am going to use IA switch 63 and 64 to program the functions-- you can use what you want (recommend the way I am doing it though)

1. GLOBAL MENU:
a. Set "MENU HOLD 2S" to 63 (IA switch 63 will trigger button mode changes)
b. Set "MENU HOLD 3S" to 64 (IA switch 64 will trigger TUNER)
c. Set "REVSE MENU HOLD" to ON (this will reverse how the menu key works and then go into menu mode when holding it for 3 seconds or more)

2. SWITCH EDIT:
a. EDIT SWITCH 64 as follows for TUNER (assume AXE-FX is on midi channel 1 and tuner CC# is 100 for this example:
1. TYPE: QUICK-TAP
2. ON 01 M:01 C:C 1:100 1:127
3. ON 02 M:SPECIAL 1:000 1:000
4. ON 03 M:01 C:C 1:100 1:000

b. EDIT SWITCH 63 as follows for STEP-THRU button mode changer (toggle between 8P and 8S)
1. TYPE: STEP-THRU
2. ON 01 M:SPECIAL 1:001 1:000
3. ON 02 M:SPECIAL 1:012 1:003
4. ON 03 M:SPECIAL 1:001 1:000
5. ON 04 M:SPECIAL 1:012 1:002

you are done. what happens.

Press Menu key as normal and the modes will now toggle between 8P and 8S
Press Menu key for 2 blinks of the TEMPO light and you will engage TUNER
Press Menu key for 3+ blinks of the TEMPO light and you will enter BANK/MENU as normal.

Enjoy

U2JustMe said:
Voes- No bug- it works fine... for those looking to TOGGLE 8S/8P with quick menu tap, then get to the Tuner by holding the MENU key for 2 seconds... here is how you do it:

Step by Step (I am going to use IA switch 63 and 64 to program the functions-- you can use what you want (recommend the way I am doing it though)

1. GLOBAL MENU:
a. Set "MENU HOLD 2S" to 63 (IA switch 63 will trigger button mode changes)
b. Set "MENU HOLD 3S" to 64 (IA switch 64 will trigger TUNER)
c. Set "REVSE MENU HOLD" to ON (this will reverse how the menu key works and then go into menu mode when holding it for 3 seconds or more)

2. SWITCH EDIT:
a. EDIT SWITCH 64 as follows for TUNER (assume AXE-FX is on midi channel 1 and tuner CC# is 100 for this example:
1. TYPE: QUICK-TAP
2. ON 01 M:01 C:C 1:100 1:127
3. ON 02 M:SPECIAL 1:000 1:000
4. ON 03 M:01 C:C 1:100 1:000

b. EDIT SWITCH 63 as follows for STEP-THRU button mode changer (toggle between 8P and 8S)
1. TYPE: STEP-THRU
2. ON 01 M:SPECIAL 1:001 1:000
3. ON 02 M:SPECIAL 1:012 1:003
4. ON 03 M:SPECIAL 1:001 1:000
5. ON 04 M:SPECIAL 1:012 1:002

you are done. what happens.

Press Menu key as normal and the modes will now toggle between 8P and 8S
Press Menu key for 2 blinks of the TEMPO light and you will engage TUNER
Press Menu key for 3+ blinks of the TEMPO light and you will enter BANK/MENU as normal.

Enjoy

Jeff I'm setup exactly like that and it isn't working. also, my expression pedal is setup to toggle between volume and wah with the toe switch and it only is doing volume and won't switch to wah. it worked fine before the firmware update.

N

Back
Top Bottom