Let's show some love! What is the thing about the Axe3 that made you grin recently?

Orvillain

Power User
I'll start - gapless switching. I'm really loving it. I hadn't gotten around to properly trying it out for so long until the last couple of days. I've got the Axe3 setup with my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, and using the Axe3 for all of the lovely effects. I've got one of those midi switching doohickies for the DR, that lets me switch the amp channels via midi coming from the Axe3.

It is really awesome to switch presets with delays and reverbs spilling over into the next patch, whilst also changing the amp channel using the midi block, whilst also bringing in the various other effects I need for the next section.

Well I don't have an AFX III (just an FM9) but what made me grin and value my FAS gear even more was last night when I went out jamming and had to use a non-buffered pedalboard and a Fender Blues DeVille/Deluxe (I can't remember exactly what it was).

The entire "system" was frustrating in so many ways; noisy, tone sucking, limited tweakabliity per channel, and I couldn't really open it up/turn it up anywhere near where it would start to "produce"...I kept saying all night "I should have brought the FM9....I should have brought the FM9" and went right into the Power Amp Input.

I was, once again, reminded of how frustrating, uninspiring, and limited "real gear" can be.

So yea, when I looked at the FM9 today I smiled and told it how amazing it is heh....

That I'm finally getting one. I've had a rack panel labeled for about a year. I got an FM3 earlier in the year and wasn't going to do the AXE FX III but after hearing this latest update... I HAD TOO! Been grinning ear to ear since Saturday! I have a feeling UPS will block me from tracking I'll be on there quite bit in the coming week... tempImage18L3xk.jpg

Been running my Axe FX as 4CM through my Friedman BE-100 Deluxe and Orange Super Crush and both sound killer. The I/O capabilities alone always impress me. Seriously the best piece of tech I've bought.

Best music purchase ever, literally life changing.
A million times this. I am constantly telling music friends that this ecosystem is the absolute best use of time and money. (lucky 4 of those friends are smart and bought fractal products :cool:)

I learned so much about signal chains, amps, cabs, pedals, effects, etc. Just because of the axe fx. It made me desire the knowledge because I knew it gave me the power to create anything. And I do exactly that everyday.

Oh and I also got way better at guitar because, shocker, this unit is fun as hell!

It sounds odd to say it’s been life-changing, but it’s kinda true.

To have an entire piece of the gear puzzle literally removed is pretty astounding. I mean I no longer spend any time worrying that my gear’s not enough, that it’s going to fail or be different on stage, or chasing the next pedal that’s going to finally make me a ‘real guitarist’.

It’s like being in Star Trek, where you can simply magic up food and it’s just no longer a problem. We can push a button and have excellent, consistent, and most importantly REAL tube tone, plus legendary effects that I never would have gotten to even see, let alone own. The amps alone are worth the measly price, but the effects are just as good.

Not to mention that the genius inventor is active, accessible, humble, and responsive. I genuinely can’t think of anything about this scenario that could be better.

While we’re here (and I suspect probably the point of this thread:) THANK YOU @FractalAudio from the depth of our musical hearts. For many of us music is at the core of our being, and you have bought joy to us in a very real and often personal way. I know there are others like me who had stopped playing due to injury or other life circumstances, and the AFX bought so much joy that it got us back into music. I went from not playing for 10 years to being in a successful local cover band with regular gigs. It’s not in stadiums or important on the world stage, but it’s incredibly important and meaningful on my life stage. I can honestly say that you were a major part of me returning to music, and I am extraordinarily grateful.

To all those that put features over music, or gratification over manners: please remember that we are not “fighting the company”, we are working with a person, and that only by his good grace. Cliff doesn’t have to be active on the forum, or even listen to us at all, but he does. Most other CEOs don’t. Don’t say anything on the forum that you wouldn’t say to your favourite artist’s face. Cliff is a person and an artist, not your personal firmware lackey. Please show some gratitude and respect, and in some cases, some basic manners.

As far as I’m concerned, Cliff is one of my musical heroes exactly like any other groundbreaking guitarist. If I got to spend a day with all of my musical heroes and learn from them, Cliff would be one of them.

OP, this is a great idea. I'll try to keep this short, tho I could certainly write volumes.

1. For the last two days, it's been this updated Marshall amp model. I have played constantly and can't put into words how much I've been enjoying it. It is the sound in my head.

2. Overall its the FAS business model. I was initially hooked by the FX8, which led me to the AX8, which led me to sell a prized guitar to get an AxeFXIII, then to sell off all my analog gear, then to get an FM9. I was impressed right away by the quality of the FX8, and the constant improvements. Same with the AX8. However, the stuff that's been happening in the last three years (first with my AxeFX and now also my FM9) is nothing short of amazing. The last 6 or 7 AF3 firmware releases have been so unbelievable...affirming my decision to commit to digital. Its been a steep learning curve for me, but I have zero regrets!

As part of that business model, this forum and so many talented and helpful folks...especially Cliff, Matt, and others on staff, but of course others like the beta testers, and then people like Leon Todd and Cooper Carter. All these folks have taught me a LOT, and the forum in general has been a great place to hang out. Despite some recent stuff, I look forward to continuing to be part of this community!

3. Finally, this stuff lets me be the tweaker that I am. I can't think of much gear I've had that didn't get modded...guitars of course, but I also modded my amps, cabs, and even several pedals. Now I can tweak to my heart's content and always have the "stock" thing to reference. Moreover I'm not devaluing everything. Its so much fun.

I'm 62 and playing in two bands. The obvious advantage here is that I don't have to deal with amps and cabs anymore, and that's increasingly important as the years go by. I also have tinnitus, so having these IEM-friendly rigs allows me to keep doing this.

Last edited:
I know I'm a broken record at this point, but the original version of the 5153 Stealth Blue. It was absolutely glorious.

But to echo the other sentiments, the thing that constantly keeps me coming back (aside from the absolutely peerless tones I get from thsi thing) is Fractal as a company. I've never encountered another company that's as hands-on, nor one that is constantly improving the product for years after you buy it. Fractal Audio and Cliff Chase are god damned national treasures.

The other thing, to be frank, is y'all. The community. This is by far the least toxic and most pleasant forum I've ever been a part of since I got online in the mid-90s. And guitar forums are notorious for being.. well, honestly... trash.

Now that I think about it, those two things are probably related 🤔

Anywho, keep rockin' y'all, happy to be on this guitar journey with you 🤘

The modern expander gate! superb af for high gain extreme tones!

The sheer dedication by Cliff & team to churn out constant updates to push the bar higher and higher!

Back
Top Bottom