Let's see those FM3 rigs!

IMG_3595.jpeg
Been working on a hybrid setup for a while now with the FM3. Blackstar Live Logic controls scenes through MIDI CC, and scene MIDI from FM3 controls the Strymon pedals. This setup scratched my itch for a “traditional” pedalboard while my FM9 is still my “all-in-one” solution. Really enjoying the sounds and flexibility I’m getting out of this rig.

Is that an L-5s I see on the wall?!?!?!?
It's a L5-S inspired custom made guitar. Less bling than a real one with a mahogany body and neck with a flame maple arched cap. The real ones were all maple with a radius shaped body. Thanks for noticing. It's real special to me. It was made by a retired guy who has passed who made just about any design you wanted as a hobby and charged little over the cost of building them. His big box jazz guitars were works of art. Sadly his old website is gone. His family should have left it up for people to remember his work.

Last edited:
It's a L5-S inspired custom made guitar. Less bling than a real one with a mahogany body and neck with a flame maple arched cap. The real ones were all maple with a radius shaped body. Thanks for noticing. It's real special to me. It was made by a retired guy who has passed who made just about any design you wanted as a hobby and charged little over the cost of building them. His big box jazz guitars were works of art. Sadly his old website is gone. His family should have left it up for people to remember his work.
Here's a better shotF8A164AD-FE23-4F93-9D4B-276C738CADA9_1_201_a.jpeg

I use this rig live with a coverband. The knock off pelican case was at Ocean State Job Lot for 100$ and has wheels. Everything is velcroed down to a nice piece of 3/4" plywood with a little riser under the Disaster Area midi controller. There is a vent hole under the FM3 and feet under the board to keep everything ventilated.

I basically run a preset per song, some songs share but not many. We use band helper to make and manage our set lists. The disaster area is set up so a tap on the right switch moves to the next song along the bandhelper set list via usb to my phone. Bandhelper then sends midi back via USB through the disaster area and to the FM3 via 5 pin midi in to choose the preset and scene. The left button taps to go to the previous song along the set list. Left button hold turns on or off the tuner.

The junction box handles my guitar input and my IEM XLR to TRS. So one cable from me to the pedal board, 2 XLRs' between my pedal board and the Mixing desk. Power is handled by an 10ft extension cord/ IEC loom I made.

I think its a nice light and clean setup.

View attachment DSC_9840.jpg
View attachment DSC_9841.jpg

Temple Audio Duo 34. All gear secured with longer bolts, except Digitech Drop. Used the Temple Audio sticky fastener thing. Works well. Also added LED strip lights on under side. But they are not super bright and rarely are turned on.
Large but simple and effective 🤣🤣🤣. Don’t mind the water cup lol
Thinking of moving the Digitech Drop sideways towards the top of board so I can get another EV-2 on there. One for volume and one for wah. And because I like gear lol

Attachments

• 70697273456__6D98B404-34E8-45E3-84A1-336985B42E5E.jpeg
    70697273456__6D98B404-34E8-45E3-84A1-336985B42E5E.jpeg
    830.3 KB · Views: 132
Not much change to the FM3 setup itself but I finally got my old Sunn combo cab rig put together. I think it's an old Beta Lead cab. I put a f12-x200 in it, added a port and sealed it up. There is a PS700 mounted in there for now. I might build a second F12-X200 cab that would also be powered by the PS700 but I am not actually sure I will ever mess with stereo for gigging (not that I'm gigging much these days). Sounds great but it quickly reveals that I have no idea what I'm doing with the Fractal tech. Getting there though. This setup really behaves like a proper amp in the room. Great coupling between my guitar and the speaker for nice bloom and musical feedback. Not as heavy as my Pro Reverb but still pretty heavy which I'm ok with.

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1270 2.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

I basically run a preset per song, some songs share but not many. We use band helper to make and manage our set lists. The disaster area is set up so a tap on the right switch moves to the next song along the bandhelper set list via usb to my phone.
super efficient - i'm gonna pull out my TRS 2 switch to lighten up the footswitch tap/hold functions i was considering
great set up!

Temple Audio Duo 34. All gear secured with longer bolts, except Digitech Drop.
i too use a Drop pedal on all my non-FAS boards.
Question - did you have CPU issues with the virtual capo or pitch block? or were you experiencing latency vs the Drop?

i too use a Drop pedal on all my non-FAS boards.
Question - did you have CPU issues with the virtual capo or pitch block? or were you experiencing latency vs the Drop?
I’ve never actually tried the virtual capo or pitch block for detuning. I had the Drop pedal when I had tube amps. Was just easier than having multiple guitars with different tunings and switching guitars on stage often. And with my FM3, it works flawlessly. I imagine the virtual capo or pitch block would take up some cpu, so it works out for me to have the pedal and keep that cpu freed up.

I’ve never actually tried the virtual capo or pitch block for detuning. I had the Drop pedal when I had tube amps. Was just easier than having multiple guitars with different tunings and switching guitars on stage often. And with my FM3, it works flawlessly. I imagine the virtual capo or pitch block would take up some cpu, so it works out for me to have the pedal and keep that cpu freed up.
thank you for the confirmation :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Howdy! New FM3 guy here, coming from 3 years of Kemper Stage. I run through a SD PowerStage 170 into a custom 2x12 vertical slant cabinet I made (V30 top, Eminence DV77 in the bottom because why not).

I'm really enjoying the FM3 a whole lot and feel like it's a better fit for me than the Kemper. I'm still learning but crafting a preset is quite enjoyable and, to me, far more fun and "predictable" than poking through thousands of profiles to find something that may suit. I have mostly played metal for the 40 years (off and on and mostly off) I've been involved in guitars but have recently been trying to be more well-rounded and learn some newer things. Being able to find stock presets or put together something quickly that works is awesome.

Attachments

• PXL_20230725_205751534.jpg
    PXL_20230725_205751534.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 82
Nothing fancy. Just the FM3 straight into a Laney LFR 212.

nTIVxIvv9Lf2.jpg

Pretty much finished my board today, just missing an AB switch and the 2-3 cables to hook the wireless to the FM3 + midi

board: Temple Audio DUO 24

FM3
Morningstar MC8
Sennheiser XSW-D pedalboard wireless
Hotone ampero switch

PSU: Cioks SOL

Case is a cheapo Multicomp Pro 24155 , which had to be slightly modified so it all fits snug (there were plastic side inserts for dividers that needed to be cut down a bit) , fits super snug now , Farnell have them in Europe (where i'm based) I think Newark in the States if anyone is wondering

Dremel was used to cut through the Temple Audio holes on one side so i can route the IEC cable through there, with an IEC splitter underneath i can power the whole board with one cable, the side bracket covers up the cut nicely, thanks to someone on this forum who posted this

FM3 is attached with screws , the XSW-D is also attached with screws, the MC8 and Hotone switch are using the Temple mounting plates, extremely solid

Attachments

• IMG_20230801_092836605~2.jpg
    IMG_20230801_092836605~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20230801_093054255~2.jpg
    IMG_20230801_093054255~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 167
Back
Top Bottom