Let's see those FM3 rigs!

Here's my FM3+HX Effects rig. Pedalboard is a simple DIY board for home use. It never leaves it's spot. The cables are a bit messy, but I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of cleaning it up. Behind the FM3 you can see a One Control Dual Stereo MIDI true bypass loop switcher. This allows me to insert effects before the FM3 (inspired by the analog loops in the Fender TMP). Two Mission exp pedals are plugged into the HX FX, as it can send MIDI exp data, unlike the FM3. The toe switches are plugged into the FM3, haven't yet found a great use for these. There's also a MIDI solutions Quadra Thru under the board.

Everything is MIDI controllable. HX FX is the master controller and also sends MIDI tempo. FM3 and HX FX can control each other and the FM3 can send MIDI messages to the loop switcher through the HX FX.
IMG_20240115_201547.jpgIMG_20240119_092926.jpg

@Aleksi looks awesome. Which effects made you chose HX for this application?
Anyway, just wanted to mention that FM3 can also have dark background and white labels on mini-screens to match the Helix :)
I actually prefer the default scribbles, I find them easier to read :) The HX was originally bought to supplement the Quad Cortex (sorely needed ;)). With the FM3 I may use for example poly pitch fx and some drives (HM-2!) before the FM3 and I really like the HX dynamic reverbs for long ambient reverbs. Some of the delays are also great, like the space echo model. Basic delays are basically free on the FM3 so there's not much point in using them on the HX. There are also other cool fx on the HX, like the shuffling looper. It's also a pretty good MIDI controller.

So ... after a couple of hundred posts in these forums, and a few adventures with both a friend's FM3 and my own eventual purchase of an FM3T, I have finally built my rig!!

Behold my creation :)

This is a Rockboard 4.1, with the Mod 3 Patch Panel, a Mission Engineering EP1, and a DIY two button footswitch. I also installed a carry handle and a USB extension. Everything is pre-patched into the Mod 3, so no wear and tear on the FM3T sockets ...

There is a Sennheiser XWS2 wireless mounted underneath, with flip out antennae on extension cables on the top of the board. These fold away for easy transport. The wireless runs to the outside of the patch panel, which then connects from the other side to the Input on the FM3T. This means that if the wireless ever goes down, I can unplug it from the back of the rig, and swap over to a guitar cable which effectively just gets sent into the FM3T input.

20240127_074311.jpg

20240127_074159.jpg

20240127_074341.jpg

20240127_074413 v2.jpg

Last edited:
I really like how the undersides and such are attached. Aside from the way you plug in and out, I did a similar thing with old 1u rack shelves. I ended up having to order 2 more once I figured out where everything went. I drilled 5x’s as many holes as were needed with the first draft lol

Just mounted on a board... but I have the editor on a tablet, and nice tiny Moyo volume and control pedals. Plus, I 3d printed all my brackets.

pedals and brackets.jpg

But the real star is my one-of-a-kind Multi-kord pedal steel. Upgraded with rods instead of cables, two knee levers added, custom string-through pickup, bespoke fretboard design and tablet stand. This is the only MK I've ever seen with a steel tray, so it actually stays in tune. Boy does that pickup give a lot of nice tone for the FM3 to work with. The little keyboard is there because FM-edit doesn't implement windows touch protocol, and there is no way to right-click. I'm hoping they fix that soon.

cheers!FM3 and MKord.jpg

Just mounted on a board... but I have the editor on a tablet, and nice tiny Moyo volume and control pedals. Plus, I 3d printed all my brackets.

View attachment 133928

But the real star is my one-of-a-kind Multi-kord pedal steel. Upgraded with rods instead of cables, two knee levers added, custom string-through pickup, bespoke fretboard design and tablet stand. This is the only MK I've ever seen with a steel tray, so it actually stays in tune. Boy does that pickup give a lot of nice tone for the FM3 to work with. The little keyboard is there because FM-edit doesn't implement windows touch protocol, and there is no way to right-click. I'm hoping they fix that soon.

cheers!View attachment 133927
That is a sweet steel!

Here is my current setup:
FM3 Turbo - Voes MX-9 - Hotone Soul Press II - Rockboard Quad 4.2 - Cioks DC7

I do have a bit of buyers remorse for the MX-9 not because it is a bad device (quite the opposite tbh) but I don't really need the 9 switches, could easily do with less switches and navigate between Page A and B on the Voes, as you can see from what I use the switches for.
Page B on my MX-9 is empty, all located on Page A with only a single function programmed per switch.
Now planning to ditch the MX-9 and Quad 4.2, to replace them with a MX-5 and a Temple Audio Duo 17.
5 switches is plenty for me and saving more than 2kgs (±1kg pedalboard, ±500g MX-5, ±500g Cioks DC-7 and ±500g for the Rockboard MOD 3) is also appreciated, especially since I am using public transport to get to my rehearsal space.
IMG_3977.JPGIMG_3978.JPGIMG_3979.JPGIMG_3980.JPG

Since a thousand words are worth a picture...here's my current signal chain.
1) Iris Compressor. Sweet and simple. A mini toggle for low, medium or high compresssion and a volume knob.
2) Steel String Clean Boost
3) ISP Decimator for my single coil and P-90 guitars
4) Band of Gypsys Fuzz
5) Toadworks Texas Flood. A tube screamer with smoother mids.
6) Morley George Lynch Tripler Pedal. This has an input with a boost and three outputs each with an on/off footswitch to send your signal to three
different devices/inputs. One output goes to the Radial (see #9) and another to the...
7) Carvin Steve Vai Legacy Drive Preamp. The preamp section of his Signature amp in pedal form.
8) Atomic Amplifire. My pre-FM3 pedal. I only use it for its power amp modeling (which Fractal doesn't do) with the Legacy Drive.
9) Radial Big Shot I/O. Two inputs and one output with a footswitch to choose which input, and a mute footswitch. So one input is my whole signal chain and the other is minus the Legacy/Amplifire.
10) Fractal Audio FM3. With this setup I can go from normal use to an IR/effects unit for the Carvin with a press of a switch. Output One to my
headphone amp (90% of the time) and Two out to a pair of Adam 5" monitors.
11) My ears, which love what they are hearing.

Hi folks. Just finished up my pedalboard. Lot's of inspiration and information in this thread.

2 Hotone double switches mounted from underneath used as stand-in switches.

Midi Baby gives me a switch for tap tempo and tuner and also an input for an expression pedal through midi.

FasLink powers the Midi Baby and LED's through the Engl Portable Power Tap.

I use a tweaked version of @Patzag excellent FM3 Alone https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...w-to-use-the-3-switches-by-themselves.161070/

I'm also a big fan of @austinbuddy Live Gold https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-1000-livegold-tonepack-for-cygnus-x2.164305/

Everything works perfectly. Lots of options. Compact and powerful without being crowded and totally self contained. This is ideal for me.

I love my FM3. Such an inspiring and creative tool.

NDPQDRf.jpg
dnNr27u.jpg
VYopVEe.jpg
2Ci660k.jpg
bfh0wkk.jpg
zkjoQfP.jpg
qqtUYRa.jpg
8Je1qM3.jpg

View attachment 133928

cheers!View attachment 133927
I'd love to hear some recordings of your steel through the FM3! That's what I use with my steel guitar, too.

Hi folks. Just finished up my pedalboard. Lot's of inspiration and information in this thread.

2 Hotone double switches mounted from underneath used as stand-in switches.

Midi Baby gives me a switch for tap tempo and tuner and also an input for an expression pedal through midi.

I use a tweaked version of @Patzag excellent FM3 Alone https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...w-to-use-the-3-switches-by-themselves.161070/

I'm also a big fan of @austinbuddy Live Gold https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-1000-livegold-tonepack-for-cygnus-x2.164305/

Everything works perfectly. Lots of options. Compact and powerful without being crowded and totally self contained. This is ideal for me.

I love my FM3. Such an inspiring and creative tool.

NDPQDRf.jpg
dnNr27u.jpg
VYopVEe.jpg
2Ci660k.jpg
bfh0wkk.jpg
zkjoQfP.jpg
qqtUYRa.jpg
8Je1qM3.jpg
What size board is that? Looks smaller than the 18 …

This would be my perfect backup board. I love it. Can you tell me more about the cable you're using to go from faslink to the power tap? Did you make it yourself? (and could you make me one :sweatsmile: j/k (sorta)). But yeah, very nice.

Back
Top Bottom