Let’s see your les pauls

I know this is a show me your Les Paul, so excuse me while I share this pic. This is one of the reasons that I bought my LP Heritage Series 80 thing. I thought that at the time when I bought it that it kind of looked (at a 1000 paces) like my guitar hero Scott Gorham's guitar.
I can dream. Even though I was only young at the time I had already owned a Mr. Gorham inspired cherry sunburst Deluxe and a Brian Robertson inspired ebony LP Custom. I have always had a thing for a Les Paul.

scott-gorham-1957-gibson-les-paul-460-85.jpg

I know this is a show me your Les Paul, so excuse me while I share this pic. This is one of the reasons that I bought my LP Heritage Series 80 thing. I thought that at the time when I bought it that it kind of looked (at a 1000 paces) like my guitar hero Scott Gorham's guitar.
I can dream. Even though I was only young at the time I had already owned a Mr. Gorham inspired cherry sunburst Deluxe and a Brian Robertson inspired ebony LP Custom. I have always had a thing for a Les Paul.

View attachment 130138
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about ! Beautiful piece !

Here's mine .... Lightly Relic'ed by Dax ..., fresh off a Jumbo Stainless Steel re-fret by Aperio ..., damn thing practically plays itself !

Attachments

• Les .....jpg
    Les .....jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

View attachment 130138
I love this natural relic thing happening here, and the faded burst vibe is probably my favourite (I really like Desert Burst for the same reason).

This LP Standard 60's was posted online and was an hour's drive away. I nabbed it within minutes of being posted and offered to pay cash in-person. It's the first time a seller "low balled" me on an offer.
It was listed at $2,175.
I was typing my offer of $2,000, when the seller sent a price of $1,875.
Taken back a little by it, I drove up later that day and bought it.
The burst is what could be called a "peekaboo". Shows more in the daylight, and not like I play outside, but it is there.
Also, when I went to install a set of locking tuners, the holes were stripped.
So I took it in for a thorough setup, and the tech put dowels in the stripped out tuner holes.
He got the action really low.
She's a hefty gal and my first Les.

BB098D24-5D82-49C1-A61C-87B100B83FCD.jpeg
Green blanket is relic'd care of the bunny rabbit...she's a biter.

1700901538468.jpeg

Another Les Paul, just not quite like the others here - this is a 61 Les Paul I bought more or less in pieces (all that came with the guitar was neck and body with dubious heel repair, truss rod cover and the little plate at the end of the neck) and reassembled with the help of Sydney luthier Piers Crocker. The neck reset which had been done prior to my getting my hands on it was way too shallow, hence having to resort to removing the thumbwheel under the treble side of the ABR-1 to get the action to (barely) acceptable. Duncan Antiquities and Callahams steel bridge and tailpiece (none of yer stinkin' sideways trem for me!). This guitar is an absolute killer, however sadly the neck reset is collapsing and sooner rather than later the neck will have to be removed and reset (again) :(

Maybe the wrong place to ask this but one of the guitars I am looking for these days is a gold top Gibson Les Paul to replace the 70's one I had that I foolishly sold when I was younger and poor. Does anyone know if the new 2023 Standard 50's have a good reputation for quality, or are there issues with them? If there are issues is it across the LP line, or would maybe a LP Supreme be a safer choice for quality. I plan on keeping this one for the long term.

Maybe the wrong place to ask this but one of the guitars I am looking for these days is a gold top Gibson Les Paul to replace the 70's one I had that I foolishly sold when I was younger and poor. Does anyone know if the new 2023 Standard 50's have a good reputation for quality, or are there issues with them? If there are issues is it across the LP line, or would maybe a LP Supreme be a safer choice for quality. I plan on keeping this one for the long term.

You really have no guarantee that any Gibson (and this applies pretty much to all brands, although Gibson QC is atypically inconsistent) is going to be as good as, better than, or worse than last years or next years models - likewise you have absolutely no guarantee that a Supreme will be a better guitar than a Standard or even a Studio - it will just have more bling! As always, if at all possible, try a guitar in person before you buy!

You really have no guarantee that any Gibson (and this applies pretty much to all brands, although Gibson QC is atypically inconsistent) is going to be as good as, better than, or worse than last years or next years models - likewise you have absolutely no guarantee that a Supreme will be a better guitar than a Standard or even a Studio - it will just have more bling! As always, if at all possible, try a guitar in person before you buy!
I absolutely agree and want to go play in person. But even though I am in an urban area I checked the local shops and even places like Guitar Center and Sam Ash don't say they have them on the floor. All say "ship to store in 3 to 5 days" or something like that.
I long for the days when local shops had inventory as I am scared that ordering a LP unseen could be disappointing.

I absolutely agree and want to go play in person. But even though I am in an urban area I checked the local shops and even places like Guitar Center and Sam Ash don't say they have them on the floor. All say "ship to store in 3 to 5 days" or something like that.
I long for the days when local shops had inventory as I am scared that ordering a LP unseen could be disappointing.
FWIW (roughly $0.00), bit ago I was shopping for an LP, played a bunch, new and used, in multiple stores, and none of them lit me up.
I ended up with a used Collings City Limits with ThroBaks; there's an NGD thread about it.
It's a wonderful guitar.

Get your possibles in your hands, and believe what you feel when you play them.
You'll find one that speaks to you.
It's a pain to return stuff that gets shipped to you, and at GC you may have to pay shipping if they ship to a store and you don't buy.
NOTE: I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT.
Still, you gotta play em.

You may have better luck at higher end stores.
They may have better instruments, better recommendations, better pre-sale setups, and they're in it for the long haul, not a quick sale.

Good luck :)

FWIW (roughly $0.00), bit ago I was shopping for an LP, played a bunch, new and used, in multiple stores, and none of them lit me up.
I ended up with a used Collings City Limits with ThroBaks; there's an NGD thread about it.
It's a wonderful guitar.

Get your possibles in your hands, and believe what you feel when you play them.
You'll find one that speaks to you.
It's a pain to return stuff that gets shipped to you, and at GC you may have to pay shipping if they ship to a store and you don't buy.
NOTE: I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT.
Still, you gotta play em.

You may have better luck at higher end stores.
They may have better instruments, better recommendations, better pre-sale setups, and they're in it for the long haul, not a quick sale.

Good luck :)
Collings do look like great guitars. Sadly they are above my budget. When you say higher end stores, I assume you mean not Guitar Center, et al? Currently I have an opportunity to buy a new Standard Goldtop LP for $2,549 which is the total price including taxes and shipping. But I would have to order it and pay shipping both ways if it doesn't speak to me. Not sure if that price is good enough to compensate for the risk.

Collings do look like great guitars. Sadly they are above my budget. When you say higher end stores, I assume you mean not Guitar Center, et al? Currently I have an opportunity to buy a new Standard Goldtop LP for $2,549 which is the total price including taxes and shipping. But I would have to order it and pay shipping both ways if it doesn't speak to me. Not sure if that price is good enough to compensate for the risk.
Understood about price and risk. I'd never paid anywhere near what my Collings cost for a guitar, ever, and it was used. But I'd been looking for a while, it was 70th birthday present to myself, and I went back multiple times to play it before I pulled the trigger. I was lucky in that I knew pretty much right away -- just, like, woah, now I'm paying attention. I just had to come to terms with the money.

Too bad there aren't any better stores nearby. Where are you, roughly?

I'm sure you know you'll do better buying second hand, if you can find something you like. Maybe check Reverb for ones near you with local pickup available.

You could try my favorite local shop, Music Emporium, where my Collings came from, but you will be in for shipping unless you're near Boston. They have some used LPs there now...

Anyway, good luck, and trust yourself!

Last edited:
Understood about price and risk. I'd never paid anywhere near what my Collings cost for a guitar, ever, and it was used. But it's been looking for a while, it was 70th birthday present to myself, and I went back multiple times to play it before I pulled the trigger. I was lucky in that I knew pretty much right away -- just, like, woah, now I'm paying attention. I just had to come to terms with the money.

Too bad there aren't any better stores nearby. Where are you, roughly?

I'm sure you know you'll do better buying second hand, if you can find something you like. Maybe check Reverb for ones near you with local pickup available.

You could try my favorite local shop, Music Emporium, where my Collings came from, but you will be in for shipping unless you're near Boston. They have some used LPs there now...

Anyway, good luck, and trust yourself!
I live in the midwest at the moment. Dreaming and planning to move back to Colorado as I am here for reasons which no longer matter to me. I regret leaving Colorado.
Anyway, I did find a 2005 Gibson LP Standard at a local shop on consignment. On the advice I believe of you and others, I played it (in fact multiple times). It was a great price in the end, close to $1,750 but it just didn't speak to me. It felt "flat" for lack of a better word.
I will check out your local shop as I am always looking, even remotely, for a good used deal. I actually went to school in Boston a LONG time ago.

I have had a 2019 and currently have a 2020 50s GT. Both bought used and great guitars. I tried some 2023 standards last week and they were good guitars.

For the price of a new goldtop you are pretty close to a used 1957 reissue..

Back
Top Bottom