left output stopped working !! serious bug report.

the scariest thing happened today..

there was nothing coming out of the left balanced output, or the left unbalanced output..

this seemed very odd... i flicked through every patch... i swapped leads around to check about 10 times that it wasnt my connection that was the issue.. it was definitely the unit doing this.. even the output metering was showing left and right, but nothing was coming out of the left..

as the knot grew in my stomach... the idea that i may have to send this back to the states.. i started doing things out of desperation... when i flicked the "input source" menu to "digital" i suddenly got ugly static coming out of BOTH speakers... the best thing i have ever heard... i then flicked back to analogue front and it was all good again !

this seems like a bug for sure...

my firmware was 8.06.. in trying to fix the issue i updated to 8.09 but it still was only coming out of the right outputs...

I've had my left output drop out also and it was the poti.
My tech resoldered it and it's fine since then.

Gitarrenschlumpf said:
And you hat no sound on BOTH outputs? If ONE poti is broken you have no sound on ONE output. But both :?:

I think is speaking of Output 1, which has a set of both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

Probably not a bug, but a hardware issue (like described above), or global setting that somehow got changed (if you are getting that static from the digital out of both speakers).

Does it happen when you hot the bypass button?

Have you checked you global EQ?

What happens when you monitor output 2 and choose copy output 1 to output 2?

I would definitely call support.

damn..
its doing it again.. except this time my switch to digital and back thing isnt fixing it

metering says left and right should be sending out signal

support just said turn it off and on.... but that didnt do anything

anyone experienced this before?

There are hardware pots for input level, output-1 level and output-2 level on the right front side of the Axe-FX.
On my unit the pot for output-1 had a bad solder joint which caused my left output to be unreliable.
My tech resoldered the pot and all is fine since.

What about Output 2? When you select the "out1->Out2 copy", is output2 left also not working? Output2 has its own set of DA's and other electronics, so if this is hardware that should clear something up.

BTW, a bug is officially something that has been built wrong. I.e. software that has mistakes in the code and for this time only we'll include hardware that has been designed wrongly. That should mean every one of our units has the same mistake and behaves in the same faulty way. As far as we know until now the issue at hand looks like a malfunction, but not necessarily a bug.

Problem solved..

The cable connection to the pot for Output 1 has a loose wire inside it

Fractal are sending a couple of new cables (only 1 is needed)

Really easy to fix...

Thanks merlin !

Rob

Back
Top Bottom