LCD screen getting faint

How did to go about getting a replacement? I tried talking to customer service but they said there wasn't any user serviceable parts in the axe fx 2

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

That's strange, I got a new screen in the end...
Are you located in Europe?
If so, I'm sure G66 will try to help you out.

If you're in US, maybe they have more strict rules regarding "fix it yourself-service" and warranty...
If I were you I would push for a replacement if your screen is sub-par.

Regarding my problems;
I had complained about the weak contrast and flickering a few months after i got my AFII.(got mine in Feb '12)
I got a new cable in Sep '12, the screen got more stable although contrast was still a bit weak.
In Aug '13 the dead pixels line appeared, and Sussi/G66 concluded that the screen was defective.

The new screen has been great since, contrast is "normal" (got the slider in the middle).

Wow. No kidding.

It works. Pulled the cable, which was very snug, btw, replugged it, switched it on and contrast is huge!

Thanks for not giving in to my resistance! I love you guys! I'll give you all a thank-you-like!

I'll have to try this- mine has been faint since day one as well, and I got one of the very early Axe II's. Glad it worked for you Dutch..

What is the equivalent support for the US when it comes to parts? I don't think we can source parts for are AXE fx's, can we? Can the display be bought through Digikey or Mouser?
I don't need one just curious.

I have the same problem as the OP but reseating the cable didn't help.
Maybe try again? If you keep your fingers out of the box you can plug power in while it's open. Just remember to pull the cable again and give the circuit some time to loose the stray current in the condensers before you retry.

I'm not an EE, but I've heard turning something on without power plugged in gets rid of current fast.

My axe also developed this issue.
The contrast is set on full, but the screen is flickering sometimes and other times it gets really low contrast to the point where you cannot see anything . Rebooting helps in this case, but after some 5 minutes the contrast starts to drop again.
I dont think its a cable issue, because reboot temporarily fixes it.

So. Mine did it again a couple of weeks ago. It got faint. I reseated the plug and it is sharp again.

This time I glued the plug in place with heat gun glue. At least it won't move again. If it does get faint again anyway I can remove the glue. In that case it would probably be oxidation. Which is odd because I have a pretty dry house.

Last edited:
My axe also developed this issue.
The contrast is set on full, but the screen is flickering sometimes and other times it gets really low contrast to the point where you cannot see anything . Rebooting helps in this case, but after some 5 minutes the contrast starts to drop again.
I dont think its a cable issue, because reboot temporarily fixes it.
Try reseating it anyway. Maybe it is corrosion and pulling the plug a couple of times will scrape it clean again. No harm in it.

Hi, man! I've the same problem, my repair service changed the screen to brand new, but it didn't solved the problem!

Last edited:
Same issue here, making sure the cable is firmly in place solved the issue, but only for some weeks, a couple of days ago it started again. Gluing the cable doesn't change anything, all of my cables were glued by G66 years ago already, still I have the same issue

Gesendet von meinem LG-D855 mit Tapatalk

So. Mine did it again a couple of weeks ago. It got faint. I reseated the plug and it is sharp again.

This time I glued the plug in place with heat gun glue. At least it won't move again. If it does get faint again anyway I can remove the glue. In that case it would probably be oxidation. Which is odd because I have a pretty dry house.

Probably the cable is faulty. I'm assuming it's an insulation displacement ribbon cable? By reseating it you're probably putting enough pressure on it to make a poor contact temporarily good.

It's a ribbon. Don't know about insulation displacemabobble. I'm guessing it is.

It is not failing in any other way, it is only the contrast fading. No lines, no stuttering, nothing else. And very gradual, not like today it's strong and tomorrow it's weak.

My 2011 Axe II has this same screen issue, it flickers and is very faint compared to my '13 Axe II. Does Fractal provide service for this issue, or at least specific instructions? I'm not technical enough and wouldn't feel comfortable going in blind to try to fix.

So. It's doing it again. Faded so much I can hardly see anything on the LCD anymore from my seated position. My AxeFx is on a cupboard right underneath my desk so I'm looking from above. Bending down to straight in front of it I can read it, but not sitting in my chair.

This time it only took 1 1/2 months. Glued in place and all.

That means it isn't a movement issue.

This is getting annoying.

And again...
And there was that one time a month ago too...

Actually it appears I glued the wrong cable. There are a couple going from the mainboard to the LCD board. I'll glue the other one too. Carefully.

I contacted G66 and they're sending me a new LCD and cable.

I so am gonna hug Sussi if ever I see her in person. Maybe Jochen too, not sure about that yet.

Out with the old, in with the new! Those plastic nuts are a pain to get back on. Glad I have piles of hardly ever used tools like some that fit a 7/32" nut. Can hardly do it with pliers.

Looking crispy.

It appears I did glue the right cable on. It was glued well. But the fading still happened. So it wasn't a movement problem.

I have my AxeFx on for hours on end, usually it starts off slightly visible, although not as contrastrich as it was supposed to be and takes a while for the fading to get to entirely invisible from my seating position.

Hopefully this is now all over and if I never post in this thread again anyone can be assured it is.

Another kudos to G66. Emailed on Sunday night and the UPS guy rang my bell Wednesday afternoon. No charge. Even though it was still in warranty, how many companies would just mail you a spare part and trust you with it?

I'm having the same issue with my very early Axe FX II (I think I was one of the first 50 or so on the original wait list). Post back and let us know how things go if you don't mind. Glad to see G66 took care of you on this..

Back
Top Bottom