Komet models

Sergius9

I went the "use your ears" route browsing through amp models and this one caught my attention. I'm on a Comet kick now... Great tone and the way it cleans up with guitar vol... Any other Komet model fans, preferred settings and/or suggestion to other similar sounding models?

When I first got my Axe,I used the Komets a lot. Now, in back with Marshalls (where I've been most of my life anyway)

Fantastic amps. I have an early Komet 60 that I keep around, even though I rarely have the opportunity to fire it up, just because it's such a special thing. It's also my go-to in the AxeFX.

Hot tip: turn the input trim down to 0.5 to simulate the 'slow' setting on the amp, keep the gain and mids below 9 o'clock and you'll find they can sound very sweet as clean amps as well.

There are the Komets, the Wrecks, and the Ruby. Also the FAS Wreck which is Cliff’s idealized version. My current favorite for awhile now is the Ruby. I still have the Komet’s in the line up along with the Rocket, Express, and sometimes the Liverpool. Amp boost works great with these models. I always have a drive in my preset but it doesn’t get a lot of use on the Wrecks. Mostly I get by with the guitar volume and amp boost.

Hot tip: turn the input trim down to 0.5 to simulate the 'slow' setting on the amp, keep the gain and mids below 9 o'clock and you'll find they can sound very sweet as clean amps as well.

I’ll try that. I always forget about the input trim.

Fantastic amps. I have an early Komet 60 that I keep around, even though I rarely have the opportunity to fire it up, just because it's such a special thing. It's also my go-to in the AxeFX.

+1 to this !
Also try putting KT66 tubes in that bad boy for some really dynamic and thick vintage blues and rock tones.
I have KT66 in my real K60 and in my AXE III K60 preset - it just makes that amp sing to me.

+1 to this !
Also try putting KT66 tubes in that bad boy for some really dynamic and thick vintage blues and rock tones.
I have KT66 in my real K60 and in my AXE III K60 preset - it just makes that amp sing to me.

Which KT66s do you use? I have NOS preamp tubes but I found the EHX EL34s sound very close to Mullards and they're easily replaceable so I'm not afraid to bias them a little on the hot side.

I like the Komets with single coils, but find them too tubby with humbuckers. Great lead amps.

Back
Top Bottom