Keyboard with low EMI?

Valgua

Inspired
Hi!

It seems that backlight of my PC keyboard interfers either with my guitar or my FM3. There is a noise, more evident with some presets than others, that goes away as soon I turn off the backlight. Of course, I could just turn off the backlight every time I play and turn it back on when I have to look at what I am typing. However, I wonder if any of you knows about a keyboard with low EMI?

I have to ask: is the backlight just for the cool effect, or is it dark enough that you need it? Because without backlights, keyboards are pretty much silent.

I have to ask: is the backlight just for the cool effect, or is it dark enough that you need it? Because without backlights, keyboards are pretty much silent.
No, coolness is not an issue :) I usually play at night and I like to do it without turning on all the lights, as it would spoil the mood. Of course, It’s not a big deal to turn the backlights on and off every time I need to type something (such as searching for a preset or a cab). However, it would be great if somebody knew of a well-shielded backlit keyboard.

I haven't noticed an issue when using the Logitech mx keys with my Mac. The backlight on that keyboard turns off after a few seconds of no use which might help. Using my PC though, it's the monster graphics card that generates noise (but only with single coils), but I tend to use the Mac with guitar.

Assuming it's wired... It wouldn't surprise me if a wireless keyboard also generated EMI.

I haven't noticed an issue when using the Logitech mx keys with my Mac. The backlight on that keyboard turns off after a few seconds of no use which might help. Using my PC though, it's the monster graphics card that generates noise (but only with single coils), but I tend to use the Mac with guitar.
In my case, I doubt the PC itself is the culprit as the noise goes away when I turn off the backlight (the PC itself is still on). The noise is there regardless of type of pickup.

LEDs put out noise that guitar pickups will hear. Just a fact of life. I have to turn the keyboard backlighting off whenever I play/record.
It's also why my gaming PC is 100% stealth with no windows or lights.

Specifically, anything that would shield the EMI noise produced by LEDs would also block the light itself, which would be pretty pointless.

LEDs put out noise that guitar pickups will hear. Just a fact of life. I have to turn the keyboard backlighting off whenever I play/record.
It's also why my gaming PC is 100% stealth with no windows or lights.

Specifically, anything that would shield the EMI noise produced by LEDs would also block the light itself, which would be pretty pointless.
Excellent point!

Back
Top Bottom