JUSTIN DERRICO (P!nk & The Voice) Fractal Axe-Fx III Tone Tour

damn. Idk how high those rank in the monitor world, but this might be your best work yet @Cooper Carter
I really thought his tones were pleasant. Was there anything special or different going on with the strat tones?
Thanks! Everything you're hearing uses the IR we captured from his iso cab with a 57 and 121, which sounded great, so that really kicked the already inspiring tones into overdrive. Add in some really fun amp tweaks we made and an incredible player, and yes, I'm very happy with what we cooked up; obviously so is he!

Thanks! Everything you're hearing uses the IR we captured from his iso cab with a 57 and 121, which sounded great, so that really kicked the already inspiring tones into overdrive. Add in some really fun amp tweaks we made and an incredible player, and yes, I'm very happy with what we cooked up; obviously so is he!
Are you also a magician by any chance? I’ve heard rumors that you can make some presets magically appear in different areas. If you could pull JDerrico’s preset out of a hat and put it here that would be some Criss Angel David Blaine stuff. Just sayin!

Another happy customer!

Cool! I watched this and then noticed a video he did with Vertex Effects a week ago. Noticed that there was the AxeFx3 in another
rack as the camera was panning around in one part.:)
... where he also said that he's using his Bogner filled rack for pretty much everything. we'll maybe up to that point... who knows...

Killer tone and playing indeed. I just sent this video to my buddy Mikey, who was Justin's guitar tech with Pink (and head instrument tech on The Voice) for years. Curious to see what he says...Mikey has always been a traditionalist when it comes to amps and guitars.

How was the comparison done? Both through ProTools?

The "I guessed wrong on the first try" happened after I had manually matched his Shiva by ear using the SHIVER LEAD model. We were A/B switching between Axe/Matrix/Cab and Shiva/same cab.

... where he also said that he's using his Bogner filled rack for pretty much everything. we'll maybe up to that point... who knows...
JD shot the Vertex video with the analog rig a few weeks before our sessions, but he'd already opened up the III and was exploring it a bit.

Killer tone and playing indeed. I just sent this video to my buddy Mikey, who was Justin's guitar tech with Pink (and head instrument tech on The Voice) for years. Curious to see what he says...Mikey has always been a traditionalist when it comes to amps and guitars.

Justin is a beast. My buddy Mikey was his guitar tech on the Voice and there is no style of music Justin can't play. Glad to see he has come on over to the Fractal family.
Do you guys know each other?

I don't recognize his profile pic, but maybe he recognizes mine. 🤣
Guitar techs have groupies too! :p
Mikey's also a real good guitarist. We've known each other since the late '70s/early '80s and played a lot of the same local venues back then. We both ended up in LA on separate career paths. Now that we're both "retired" we've both ended up back in Albuquerque playing a lot of the same venues again.

Fractal is Life.
hey-mikey-life-cereal.gif

Gain doesn't need to mean you get lost. It just has to be the right gain in the right place.

Haha he was kidding saying "Merry Christmas." We shot this last week.
Here’s an odd question i have just because I want to learn more. It seems like the nature of EQ is basically a placeholder of sorts in the Sonic realm. So when you say it just has to be the right gain in the right place, does that specifically mean changing the EQ or
Changing the tone? Or both? What exactly is tone made of sonically? It can’t just be the same as EQ right? Because then changing tone would change eq but it seems like with gear we can change tone separately from EQ. Help me in curiously lost 😂😂

Here’s an odd question i have just because I want to learn more. It seems like the nature of EQ is basically a placeholder of sorts in the Sonic realm. So when you say it just has to be the right gain in the right place, does that specifically mean changing the EQ or
Changing the tone? Or both? What exactly is tone made of sonically? It can’t just be the same as EQ right? Because then changing tone would change eq but it seems like with gear we can change tone separately from EQ. Help me in curiously lost 😂😂
A few things going on in guitar tone in any mix situation in layman’s terms:

Gain - how overdriven/distorted is the sound
EQ - Balance of your frequency spectrum
Compression - dynamic range of the signal
Volume - DB of mix

There are more along with these, but this is kind of a basic way to think about it. These also are related. More gain can mean more distortion, but distortion is a form of compression in that it clips the signal to have less dynamic range. Too much compression/distortion can make the guitar sit awkwardly in the mix. Too little though and the guitar won’t be consistent and could be hard to mix. It is easier to for the sound tech to add compression though to even out the guitar as they want in the mix.

EQ is the control and tone of the frequency balance. A “bright” tone has more high end, a “warm” tone more low end. The fun part with this is that the human ear hears differently at different volume levels. Quiet sounds are perceived to have more midrange with the human ear hearing closer to a “flat” sound nearer to 90DB.

All of these come together for the tone. Personally I find if I am the only guitar player, I can get away with more gain and a warmer tone in the mix to fill in the midrange content but not get in the way of the clarity of the vocal. But if there is another guitarist, I will turn down the gain and compression and brighten my tone a bit or cut low mids.

Hearing the level of gain in Justin’s presets in the video and not having heard it in a mix has me thinking that he gets to play through a LOUD PA at shows and might be the only electric guitarist on at least most of the songs.

I hope that helps! The tones in the video are wicked too! Makes me want to play with the pitch block again! And got me to put down my Novo and K-Line and pick up my Les Paul for the first time in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom