Just picked up OwnHammer Vintage Marshall IR pack.

hughj

Inspired
Bit of a noob here. Just wondering if anyone has any favourite amp-cab combinations with this bundle. Everything sounds so good, but there are so many. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well so many possibilties, can you specify what kind of tone you're after?

For rock/metal try one of the following. Any one of these sounds really good to me in a mix and alone. But those are my go to IRs from that pack for rock/metal. I usually run hi/mid gain Marshall/Friedman/Mesa/5150 amps through these cabs and love them.

V30-CH
Mixes:
OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_SS_Studio-Modern
OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_T1_Studio-Modern
OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_S2_Studio-Modern

V30-EN
Mixes:
OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_SS_Studio-Modern
OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_Studio-Modern
OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_S2_Studio-Modern

For rock/metal try one of the following. Any one of these sounds really good to me in a mix and alone. But those are my go to IRs from that pack for rock/metal. I usually run hi/mid gain Marshall/Friedman/Mesa/5150 amps through these cabs and love them.

V30-CH
Mixes:

V30-EN
Mixes:
All good choices but the OP bought the vintage pack, V30 speakers are inclued in the modern pack...

Name the amp, and people can post suggestions. To many possibilities to do it as an open suggestion.

My go to amps this week are Wrecker Liverpool, Friedman, Blankenship Leeds. This is not to say that I'm not open to any combinations. With so many amazing choices its easy to get lost in tone. I'm trying to keep amps as close to the real sound as possible. Usually pick a different amp every week and watch youtube videos to get an idea of how it should sound so i don't deviate too far from the original.

My go to amps this week are Wrecker Liverpool, Friedman, Blankenship Leeds. This is not to say that I'm not open to any combinations. With so many amazing choices its easy to get lost in tone. I'm trying to keep amps as close to the real sound as possible. Usually pick a different amp every week and watch youtube videos to get an idea of how it should sound so i don't deviate too far from the original.

Try any of the Greenback or Blackback 412 Celestions. Try the SP Mix T2 M-PR-55. Need less bass? Try the G12-H-30 SP Mix T2. I also love the M-55-BB T2 SP Mix.

When you use any of those from the Own Hammer 412, try the Amp Block Speaker Tab "Low Resonance Frequency" at 125Hz. That's where I like it generally for those types of amps/tones.

Try any of the Greenback or Blackback 412 Celestions. Try the SP Mix T2 M-PR-55. Need less bass? Try the G12-H-30 SP Mix T2. I also love the M-55-BB T2 SP Mix.

When you use any of those from the Own Hammer 412, try the Amp Block Speaker Tab "Low Resonance Frequency" at 125Hz. That's where I like it generally for those types of amps/tones.

Thanks so much Scott. I've learned a great deal from reading your posts. You are a real asset to this forum.

What I recently did that's really helping me with my IR's is this:

Step 1: Buy Cab-lab
Step 2: Load all the possible mics and mixes from a given cabinet (start with suggestions above) and start with one type of amp (T1, T2, or SS). This should be about 9 to 10 slots (I forget how many cab-lab allows).
Step 3: Mute all but one mic, send to scratchpad and play/listen
Step 4: Do this for all the mics, and various mixes.... this will give you a great idea of how the various mics and mixes sound when compared to each other.

Once you find the mics/mixes you lean toward (or how they differ), you can start loading some of your user slots with various speaker types etc of those mics/mixes you like.

I'm finding a lot more about IR's since I started using Cab-lab.

OH MAR-CB M-BB-55 T1 SP sounds HUGE with Friedman! I usually go with the LIVE mics but you simply can't go wrong with this one... :D

Why is there seemingly a preference for the T2 versions of these IRs/mixes? I thought the SS versions would be "less-coloured" so to speak, so I've used those to settle on a choice of speaker (which in my case is currently the ALN-BLU, using the SP mix, for my Friedman BE and FAS Modern presets). I doubt there's truly a wrong way to audition these IRs, but I'm just curious about the reasoning behind the T2 recommendation.

Why is there seemingly a preference for the T2 versions of these IRs/mixes? I thought the SS versions would be "less-coloured" so to speak, so I've used those to settle on a choice of speaker (which in my case is currently the ALN-BLU, using the SP mix, for my Friedman BE and FAS Modern presets). I doubt there's truly a wrong way to audition these IRs, but I'm just curious about the reasoning behind the T2 recommendation.

It varies. Scott P likes the T2 and to bump up the LF. I think he likes a woolier/bassy tone. I was on that too but I've gone back to the SS versions with just the R121 mic. Maybe I'll stay there...maybe I won't.

Last edited:

V30-CH
Mixes:

V30-EN
Mixes:

I love the Chinese version myself I use those IRs allot. What a great sound!

T2 SP mix puts me in tone heaven. I've managed a large guitar store and was taught tone by EVH's tech. I prefer the tube like oomph of the T2 mix. Without it, my clr is too much like a PA speaker. Now, it feels right to this guy. Sounds AMAZING in a band mix too. A-MAY-ZING.

As for the speakers:
Alnico with class A amps
EV-S or G65 with D type amps
Celestion M and H with marshall flavored amps
JBL with Fenders/cleans. Also the EV/FN work but I like the J12s. Especially the J12 in the 1x12 dlx pack for fenders.

T2 SP mix puts me in tone heaven. I've managed a large guitar store and was taught tone by EVH's tech. I prefer the tube like oomph of the T2 mix. Without it, my clr is too much like a PA speaker. Now, it feels right to this guy. Sounds AMAZING in a band mix too. A-MAY-ZING.

As for the speakers:
Alnico with class A amps
EV-S or G65 with D type amps
Celestion M and H with marshall flavored amps
JBL with Fenders/cleans. Also the EV/FN work but I like the J12s. Especially the J12 in the 1x12 dlx pack for fenders.

Interesting...you know, there is a hi-fi quality to the SS that I like just sitting there playing on my own but when I just did a compare, I can see what you're getting at as far as the T2 warming up a PA speaker and making it sound more "amp like". Sh!t...I'm lost. Time to stop tweaking...

Interesting...you know, there is a hi-fi quality to the SS that I like just sitting there playing on my own but when I just did a compare, I can see what you're getting at as far as the T2 warming up a PA speaker and making it sound more "amp like". Sh!t...I'm lost. Time to stop tweaking...

Commit to the T2 SP mixes for a week and let yourself get used to them. Thank us later.

I've got the Modern mix set , is it worth grabbing the Vintage set too if I am mostly playing medium to high gain shreddy kinds of stuff?
it's not the cost it's the time going through all of these that has made me hold off so far.
I love the Modern pack

Back
Top Bottom