Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

One of them arrived today. It sounds pretty damn good right out of the box (I have it on Monitor 2).

First I very quickly compared it to one of the Simmons DA2012Bs I have. With everything flat, no EQ on anything, the PXM sounds so much better it's almost ridiculous even making a point of it. I'll come back to this though.

Next, I did the test I was really interested in; I compared it to one of my Mesa 4x12 cabs (being powered by my EVH 50w head). That setup is awesome so I wanted to see how close I could get with the PXM. Volume is no problem as both can get too loud (I had them up to 102.5 db). The PXM wasn't very close across the board. Too much highs, lows weren't quite right, mids weren't right. It didn't sound bad exactly, but it wasn't close to my target.

So I started tweaking and I ended up tweaking a LOT. I started with adjustments to the cab block, trying a few different IRs and various Dynacabs. I added a PEQ block and two GEQ blocks. I adjusted the output EQ. And after all that it still doesn't sound like my cab...I think it might sound better.

I've never been a big fan of FRFRs but I think I'm now a convert. At least for this one. I have a second one on the way already.

Back to the Simmons DA2012B. I swear I thought it sounded half decent a week ago but I also remember tweaking it a bit and adding some EQ. I will revisit it to see if I can get it in the ballpark of the PXM. Partially I'm curious, but my main reason for doing so is because I want to get it close-ish and test the viability of using three FRFRs for W/D/W. I'm already thinking about buying a third PXM.

So my initial impression is that the PXMs are great and I suspect I'll be using them for a long time to come. We'll see if the honeymoon comes to an end though. :)
Given the price difference, I'd be disappointed if the PXM didn't sound significantly better than an almost-entry-level speaker.

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed review.

Given the price difference, I'd be disappointed if the PXM didn't sound significantly better than an almost-entry-level speaker.
I agree completely. I certainly expected it to be much better and it absolutely is.

I don't expect I can make the Simmons sound anywhere near as good no matter how much EQ I use, but I'll see if I can ballpark it. For science.

I didn't do any tweaking to my FM9...I liked how it sounded with headphones and small speakers, and I wanted the EV to sound more like them than it did initially. Kinda glad I waited, because mine changed a lot with the accelerated break in, and I might have had to tweak back. ;)
It sounds pretty warm now...looking forward to trying it with a band.

I'll cut a bit of high and low at the output before I play it live...but I was going to do that in any case.

Had the chance to compare my new PXM with the ASM-12. The PXM needs some break-in, but overall, for cleans it has more definition than the ASM. Same with gain, but almost harsh compared to the ASM. The ASM had a smoother, slightly scooped sound. The PXM is more detailed, punchier and in your face more but is a little harder to dial in at this point. I prefer the smoother presentation of the ASM for gain so far, but probably nothing that a new IR/Dynacab or EQ tweaks can't solve on the PXM. We'll see what happens over the next week or two.

When I tried running the FM9 through two tube amps, I wasn't at all happy. I liked playing it at plenty of volume, and stereo is very cool...but turning off the cabs and/or amps wasn't giving me a sound I liked, I actually liked it better with them on...but the actual tube amps by themselves sounded much better, and I didn't want to mess around with making major tweaks to the FM9, when I wasn't going to be using it that way live.
It was just a test, for fun.

The thing that I didn't get around to doing, was putting up my PA in the garage, and hearing it FOH style (in stereo, of course). I was kind of lazy, I guess...then I had dental surgery, and couldn't lift anything for awhile. I still have that to look forward to, and I'm able to do that now. I won't even need to bother with the subs, I don't use those really low tunings anyway.

This monitor is the key for me, I can rehearse at gig volume now, and it will be nice to have a monitor that sounds like an amp in front of me (or behind, my choice) A great big thanks for all the folks that recommended it. Now...how to wait patiently until I can get a second one.

Had the chance to compare my new PXM with the ASM-12. The PXM needs some break-in, but overall, for cleans it has more definition than the ASM. Same with gain, but almost harsh compared to the ASM. The ASM had a smoother, slightly scooped sound. The PXM is more detailed, punchier and in your face more but is a little harder to dial in at this point. I prefer the smoother presentation of the ASM for gain so far, but probably nothing that a new IR/Dynacab or EQ tweaks can't solve on the PXM. We'll see what happens over the next week or two.
The ASC-10/12 and the PXM are the FRFR's I'm interested in. I'd love to know how you're feeling in a month or so. I'm using Yamaha HS5's right now since I'm not gigging, but the FRFR always "felt" better to me.

Has anyone tried the Laney FRFR?

I have owned 2...the 12" is loud but a bit Boxy sounding, which matches it's boxy build...the 8" I still own and it is fine.
It comes close to matching my Studio monitors for EQ curve and it pairs well with my EV PXM for stereo.

I have owned 2...the 12" is loud but a bit Boxy sounding, which matches it's boxy build...the 8" I still own and it is fine.
It comes close to matching my Studio monitors for EQ curve and it pairs well with my EV PXM for stereo.
That's what my impression was of the FR212... very boxy sounding.

On Sunday I loaned my 2 PowerCab 112 Plus cabs to a friend for him to try out with his Helix and figured why not check out these EV cabs since this thread had got me curious about them.

So...........

I just had my buddy that owns a sound company order me a couple of the PXM-12MPs. No clue what they are gonna cost me but he will take care of me since his company uses EV stuff pretty much exclusively. A couple of weeks ago I talked about them quite a bit with one of EV/Dynacord's engineers that came down to hang with us at some shows so he could do some system tweaking/upgrades and he said I won't be disappointed.

The PXMs are awesome monitors!
I have a pair of them that I have now been using for a couple of weeks. I pulled off the treble very slightly on them through the DSP and they are absolutely perfect. They are way more articulate and punchier than my ASC-10s were (and I had mine with tilt back legs facing up at me) and of course way lighter as well!

Super happy with mine!

The PXMs are awesome monitors!
I have a pair of them that I have now been using for a couple of weeks. I pulled off the treble very slightly on them through the DSP and they are absolutely perfect. They are way more articulate and punchier than my ASC-10s were (and I had mine with tilt back legs facing up at me) and of course way lighter as well!

Super happy with mine!
+1

I had 2 ASM 12´s and EV´s are just better in pretty much every department.

much easier to carry, lighter by half at least, much more durable finish, sounds punchier, more articulate, louder, and in my case also cheaper than friedmans.

no brainer IMO.

Back
Top Bottom