just an observation ..

rectifier

Inspired
i have had my standard for a few days now.. i had a hard time trying to decide which power amp to use with it...tube or SS.. well i was forced to buy the SS because i couldnt find a tube power amp that was within my financial means...so i got the carvin dcm 1500..i have to say im very satisfied with it...but still wondered what if ?...so i borrowed a friends mesa 290...and my observations are as follows...with different settings they both sound about the same at low to medium levels....when played loud the mesa kinda smooths out...as the carvin gets brighter the louder it gets...but can be adjusted to remedy this...but that was about it....now i can sleep at night now knowing i saved a ton of money and not at the expense of my tone...if i had money to burn i would have a tube power amp just because i could....but at the volume i play at am satisfied....and the dcm1500 will destroy a cab... :D

Thanks for sharing your comparison. I thought I'd never sell my mesa 20/20 but I'm seriously considering selling it now and getting a similar 1U solid state model... or not at all... We'll see.

Firstpenguin said:
Thanks for sharing your comparison. I thought I'd never sell my mesa 20/20 but I'm seriously considering selling it now and getting a similar 1U solid state model... or not at all... We'll see.

You and me both.

After much thought I think my 20/20 is going the "bay" and I am going to get an ART, When the 20/20 gets warm after long periods It starts changing my sound because It is colouring the axe too much, I think an SS power amp will fix this.

I like the power amp though just not for this application, It funny because I was championing it a few months back.

Oh how we change our minds...... ;)

Back
Top Bottom