Jump to bank of currently active preset?

It's a standard footswitch with a custom title...hang on, let me pull up my FM9-Edit SS...IOW, if I step on HOME, the FM9 loads to the bank where the current preset is...conversely, if I'm currently working with bank 3, stepping on home loads to...layout 1, view 1, bank 3. Apparently, setting up a switch this way defaults to whatever bank you're currently working with at the time.

Note the HOME switch and the associated config...HOME selects Layout 1/View 1 (Presets/View 1) each time I step on HOME. Each time I HOLD HOME, it selects Preset #385 (Select by Preset #), my 1st user preset in my first user bank. My FM9 is set up so that the footswitches read preset, but stepping on them pulls up SCENES within the selected preset.

9RrE4D5.png
Is loading that layout and view resetting the bank position in that layout? If you change the bank view on your layout 1 so the bank isn't on the same bank as your preset and then use your HOME switch what happens? (I'm not at my unit right now so I can't test this myself)

Is loading that layout and view resetting the bank position in that layout? If you change the bank view on your layout 1 so the bank isn't on the same bank as your preset and then use your HOME switch what happens? (I'm not at my unit right now so I can't test this myself)
Hmm. That I'm not sure of. All I can tell you is that my posted SS image defaults to the current layout you're working with. You'd need to change the bank and step on home (Tested: Same results occur! Switching to a new bank works the same with the HOME switch.).

It should. The concept is the same for the HOME switch. The HOME switch pulls up Layout 1/View 1 in the current bank, regardless of which bank you've currently got displayed.

The only caveat is that when you step/HOLD HOME first, the main screen will default to User Preset #385, but the scribble scripts will still display the previous bank you were working with. It's necessary to manually (external stand-in switch) scroll through banks, OR Select HOME>HOLD, then tap HOME, which will bring you back to your 1st bank.

I'm hoping this is close to what you guys are asking for...it makes it much easier than tap-dancing your way back though the forest while trying to see the breeadcrumb path that got you there...

Last edited:
Not yet having an FM9, it's difficult for me to decipher this. All I want to do is load the bank of the current preset, assuming that I'm not on that bank already.

I'm hoping this is close to what you guys are asking for...it makes it much easier than tap-dancing your way back though the forest while trying to see the breeadcrumb path that got you there...
Yea, this could be what @steadystate is asking for. I'll test it here later tonight.

I just did some testing on my FM3+FC6, and it appears that if I’m in a preset (for example, 53) and then navigate to a bank other than the bank in which preset 53 is contained (for example, bank 2 which contains presets 5-11):

- if I use MLM to load layout 1 (presets), it shows bank 2 (presets 5-11), as described by OP. It does this even if, after navigating to another bank, I load other layouts like scenes which still shows the scenes in preset 53 - i.e., but loading the presets layout after that still goes to bank 2 since I had previously navigated there (but never loaded one of the presets in the bank).

- if I set up a ‘home’ footswitch in preset 53 to toggle to layout 1 (presets), when I haven’t navigated to another bank and I push the ‘home’ switch it shows bank 8 (presets 48-53), as described by bleujazz3.

BUT …. if while in preset 53 I navigate to a different bank (but don’t change presets) then navigate back to the layout that has the ‘home’ switch in preset 53 (performance layout for me), and I then push the ‘home’ switch … it loads bank 2.

I even tried to change the ‘home’ switch to a bank select switch as an alternative - but, similar to changing the layout, it seems to go from whichever was the last bank I navigated to - not from the bank of the currently-loaded preset. And if I set the bank switch to - for example - select bank 1, but the 2nd press is set to ‘on’ so it should revert to ‘previous bank’, if I haven’t navigated to another bank before bank 1 on 2nd press it returns to bank 8. But, if I’ve previously navigated to another bank (say bank 2), when I 2nd press the button it goes to bank 2.

So at least on my FM3+FC6 set-up it appears that the ‘home’ button approach only solves the problem IF I’m not first navigating to another bank.

@bleujazz3 - can you confirm whether the ‘home’ button changes behaviour if you first navigate to a different layout (for example, using MLM) and then use the ‘home’ button to load layout 1 (presets)? Perhaps the behaviour is different with FC6 and/or due to the use of layout links or other things, so I don’t want to assume it won’t work, even if it doesn’t seem to on my setup.

Last edited:
That doesn't work. That's what I tested last night and posted about earlier...

If I go to another bank and change layout, then back to my Presets layout it remains in the same bank where it was left.

Edit:

Nevermind, I missed the MLM detail above... Not what I tested :)

I still want to try some different scenarios - like does it matter HOW I navigate to the other bank (MLM, vs per-preset bank nav button, vs ?). But if it acts as I suspect, perhaps a new feature request is warranted - either to change the behaviour or to add more options - for example, when setting up a custom button to nav to a bank, perhaps there could be a new option for ‘bank of current preset’.

To clarify my question, consider the custom layouts shown (neither is the MLM).

The Banks Layout has tap/hold switches that select and load banks 10 increments apart and then also piggyback the Presets Layout. In this case I don't want the Presets Layout that appears to show the bank of the currently selected preset. This would defeat the purpose of the bank change. The Presets Layout should show the presets available in the newly selected bank, waiting to be engaged. When the Presets Layout appears, I use the two rightmost switches to scroll to the desired bank from a reasonably close location chosen from the Bank Layout, then tap the desired preset switch.

But when I tap the Presets switch in the Banks Layout, I do want the Presets Layout that appears to show the bank of the currently active preset, with the currently active preset's ring brightly lit. It is this switch/function that would be great to have in ALL layouts for instant navigation. Possible?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
To clarify my question, consider the custom layouts shown (neither is the MLM).

The Banks Layout has tap/hold switches that select and load banks 10 increments apart and then also piggyback the Presets Layout. In this case I don't want the Presets Layout that appears to show the bank of the currently selected preset. This would defeat the purpose of the bank change. The Presets Layout should show the presets available in the newly selected bank, waiting to be engaged. When the Presets Layout appears, I use the two rightmost switches to scroll to the desired bank from a reasonably close location chosen from the Bank Layout, then tap the desired preset switch.

But when I tap the Presets switch in the Banks Layout, I do want the Presets Layout that appears to show the bank of the currently active preset, with the currently active preset's ring brightly lit. It is this switch/function that would be great to have in ALL layouts for instant navigation. Possible?
Um,
You might experience greater success with banks containing 5 presets (allowing 1 open footswitch on the right aside of the FM9, top/bottom) instead of banks containing 10 presets. The reason for this is because when 5 presets display across the bottom of the FM9, that represents 1 bank. Its unlikely one could display 10 presets or try to toggle between half-bank presets.

Unfortunately, my MLM is disabled in order to avoid mistakenly stepping on 2 foot switches at one time that would bring up the MLM layout.

IIRC, there is no current possibility that displays what bank is active presently. No layout or part of the current OS allows for it

Guys, take a closer look at how my HOME / GRISSOM1 footswitch is set up in the image below. Whenever HOME is pressed, it selects the current bank of presets in Layout 1 (Presets). Whenever HOME (HOLD) is held, it selects my first user preset in user bank 1 (FUNCTION: Select Preset by #). Most all of my layouts contain the HOME/HOLD feature, save for EFFECTS/MORE EFFECTS, which switches between currently selected preset/scene.

9RrE4D5.png

To address the "Select Currently Active Bank" question, although there is no current way to display the bank number in the scribble scripts (Am I wrong?) there is a way to display the presets in the currently selected bank. The below technique is simply a way to find your way to a recognizable user preset (User Preset #385) and the currently active bank in use. Conversely, choosing HOLD, then HOME brings you to square one, the first user preset (#385) in bank 1.

Hmm. That I'm not sure of. All I can tell you is that my posted SS image defaults to the current layout you're working with. You'd need to change the bank and step on home (Tested: Same results occur! Switching to a new bank works the same with the HOME switch.).

It should. The concept is the same for the HOME switch. The HOME switch pulls up Layout 1/View 1 in the current bank, regardless of which bank you've currently got displayed.

The only caveat is that when you step/HOLD HOME first, the main screen will default to User Preset #385, but the scribble scripts will still display the previous bank you were working with. It's necessary to manually (external stand-in switch) scroll through banks, OR Select HOME>HOLD, then tap HOME, which will bring you back to your 1st bank.

Um,
You might experience greater success with banks containing 5 presets (allowing 1 open footswitch on the right aside of the FM9, top/bottom) instead of banks containing 10 presets. The reason for this is because when 5 presets display across the bottom of the FM9, that represents 1 bank. Its unlikely one could display 10 presets or try to toggle between half-bank presets.

Unfortunately, my MLM is disabled in order to avoid mistakenly stepping on 2 foot switches at one time that would bring up the MLM layout.

IIRC, there is no current possibility that displays what bank is active presently. No layout or part of the current OS allows for it
??? My banks do contain five presets. The switches in my Banks layout each select one specific corresponding bank, each 10 banks away from the others. It's a way to recall a bank that is close to any specific bank I might want to ultimately reach using the bank up/down footswitches to the right of my Presets layout (which should be automatically displayed when I select a bank in the Banks layout). Each recalled bank contains five presets.

I'm looking for a quick way to get back to the bank containing the currently active preset, and viewing its associated Presets layout. That's basically it.

Last edited:
Once you change banks, that new bank stays as the current bank even if you change layouts or presets. Even if you switch to a preset in a different bank from the currently selected bank, it will not change the currently selected bank. There is currently no FC mechanism to change that. You have to use bank select or bank inc/dec switches to manually change back to the bank containing the current preset if desired.

The only thing I've found so far that automatically changes the bank is selecting a different preset via the front panel or editor.

Last edited:
- if I set up a ‘home’ footswitch in preset 53 to toggle to layout 1 (presets), when I haven’t navigated to another bank and I push the ‘home’ switch it shows bank 8 (presets 48-53), as described by bleujazz3.

BUT …. if while in preset 53 I navigate to a different bank (but don’t change presets) then navigate back to the layout that has the ‘home’ switch in preset 53 (performance layout for me), and I then push the ‘home’ switch … it loads bank 2.
I think that's what's happening with my FM9. If one switches between banks without selecting a preset, it'll merely load the bank into the scribble scripts screens of presets. I've yet to verify what happens if one selects HOME if following this procedure. I'll post and then test/edit.

TEST/EDIT: Well, not good news. Switching my external stand-in (which selects bank up/down), then selecting HOME doesn't do anything other than display the current bank in use.

The only benefit is when one selects a preset in the bank currently displayed. THEN, both the HOME & HOLD function work correctly. IOW: Select a preset, then press either HOME (which selects the current bank displayed) or HOLD, which displays user preset #385. If one selects HOLD first, user preset displays in the main screen, then selecting HOME brings up BANK 1.
I even tried to change the ‘home’ switch to a bank select switch as an alternative - but, similar to changing the layout, it seems to go from whichever was the last bank I navigated to - not from the bank of the currently-loaded preset. And if I set the bank switch to - for example - select bank 1, but the 2nd press is set to ‘on’ so it should revert to ‘previous bank’, if I haven’t navigated to another bank before bank 1 on 2nd press it returns to bank 8. But, if I’ve previously navigated to another bank (say bank 2), when I 2nd press the button it goes to bank 2.

So at least on my FM3+FC6 set-up it appears that the ‘home’ button approach only solves the problem IF I’m not first navigating to another bank.

@bleujazz3 - can you confirm whether the ‘home’ button changes behaviour if you first navigate to a different layout (for example, using MLM) and then use the ‘home’ button to load layout 1 (presets)? Perhaps the behaviour is different with FC6 and/or due to the use of layout links or other things, so I don’t want to assume it won’t work, even if it doesn’t seem to on my setup.

A quick workaround would be to reach down and hit the left then right (or right then left) arrow keys on the front panel. That will reload the current preset and change the current bank as well.

Once you change banks, that new bank stays as the current bank even if you change layouts or presets. Even if you switch to a preset in a different bank from the currently selected bank, it will not change the currently selected bank. There is currently no FC mechanism to change that. You have to use bank select or bank inc/dec switches to manually change back to the bank containing the current preset if desired.

The only thing I've found so far that automatically changes the bank is selecting a different preset via the front panel or editor.
This is a definitive response that is easy to understand. Not ideal, but at least I know what I'm dealing with now. I'll have to think about how I'll handle this.

I just thought of something that might serve as a work around. CS MIDI might allow you to create a "Reload the current preset" switch by sending CC messages to increment and then decrement the current preset if you've got a MIDI loopback cable installed.

I need to test if changing presets via MIDI updates the FC bank but I suspect it will since changing via the editor does.

Test successful. Changing presets via MIDI does indeed update the current FC bank.

If you connect the MIDI OUT port to the MIDI IN port, you can use CS MIDI on a momentary control switch to reload the current preset. In your Banks layout shown above, if you replace the Presets switch with that Control Switch and use layout links to take you back to the Presets layout, it should update the current FC layout to the one containing the current preset. You'd need to set CC#'s for Preset Increment and Preset Decrement in the MIDI/Remote menu and then send both those CC# messages with an ON value of 127 to trigger them both in series.

Back
Top Bottom