John Mayer has a Kemper but no Fractal

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a talented song writer "if he writes his own songs", but guitarist, he's just meh, let's see him play some Petrucci or Malmsteen, not going to happen... Either way, I stand by my assertion he's an average guitarist who has a nice setup, plays easy guitar parts and gets by on his music ability to write music "if that is him writing those songs" but the rest of him is a mess imho:)...

Well that's the thing. It's all personal opinions. I would say all of these guitarists mentioned are amazing. I'm a huge Petrucci fan. All my technical abilities are thanks to me trying to learn his solos and riffs. That being said I would rather listen 3h of John Mayer playing one note than 3 minutes of Yngwie playing as many notes as he possible can (which is what he does). That's just a personal opinion once again. :lol

I've so far stayed out of this because I'm a big fan of his playing and writing... But it's fairly obvious that most of the bashers have spent no real time actually *listening* to him play!

They are also probably unaware that he started at Berklee college of music at a fairly young age, and was kind of going down the "shredder" route. I would not be surprised to hear him play something very technical and fast... But that doesn't define a great guitarist.

Listen to the music... Try to play some, then tell me how much he sucks. There is a lot of complex and "deep" music underlying his "simple pop" songs. He is also very crafty with effects, and in that regard alone the Axe Fx would be great for him. He made masterful use of the Roger Linn Addrennalinn III on several songs.

As far as him as a person, he's defiantly an odd duck... But so are many talented artists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

did someone just say let's hear him play Petrucci or Malmsteen? really? apples and oranges and in no way invalidates his abilities or style on the guitar.

let's hear them play some Mayer, lol....

(i love all them, just saying....it's a ridiculous comparison)

I've so far stayed out of this because I'm a big fan of his playing and writing... But it's fairly obvious that most of the bashers have spent no real time actually *listening* to him play!

Listen to the music... Try to play some, then tell me how much he sucks. There is a lot of complex and "deep" music underlying his "simple pop" songs. He is also very crafty with effects, and in that regard alone the Axe Fx would be great for him. He made masterful use of the Roger Linn Addrennalinn III on several songs.

I've always been anti-pop-Top 40. Well, to some degree. There's always exceptions. But an ex-girlfriend turned me onto Neon on day. I was blown away and looked up more of his material up to that point. As you pointed out, he has a lot going on in each song. Not in the sense of the song being busy but all of the pieces really made each song. I remember thinking after hearing his first 3 or 4 albums "Man, I wanna hear this dude let loose on the guitar!" but he never did on a recording up to that point. I could hear there was more. Then I seen him on Clapton's Crossroad festival DVD where he did a Hendrix bit and I was blown away.

As for like or disliking JM. Whatever floats people's boats. It does boggle my mind how anyone with an ear for good music can totally discard his talent.

As far as him as a person, he's defiantly an odd duck... But so are many talented artists.

No doubt.

He's a talented song writer "if he writes his own songs", but guitarist, he's just meh, let's see him play some Petrucci or Malmsteen, not going to happen... Either way, I stand by my assertion he's an average guitarist who has a nice setup, plays easy guitar parts and gets by on his music ability to write music "if that is him writing those songs" but the rest of him is a mess imho:)...

So I'm guessing you think Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, etc. are just meh? :D

And I believe he writes most of his own songs. Obviously does some covers too (Bold as Love, etc.).

Well that's the thing. It's all personal opinions. I would say all of these guitarists mentioned are amazing. I'm a huge Petrucci fan. All my technical abilities are thanks to me trying to learn his solos and riffs. That being said I would rather listen 3h of John Mayer playing one note than 3 minutes of Yngwie playing as many notes as he possible can (which is what he does). That's just a personal opinion once again. :lol

LOL yeah Malmsteen is not my favorite either, but when I covered him, I did learn some respect for his ability to play in a way that 99% of guitarist could never come close to playing..... I think the point I am making is "guitar player and song writer" are two different things, John is a great song writer, even though I don't like his work, I can't deny that fact, So there we have agreement.. But to call him a "great guitarist' compared to who? Some newb? Yes he's great compared to a newb, but compared to Petrucci or Malmsteen or Myself or others who are high level players, that makes me laugh is all... Does he write better songs than malmsteen? Yes!!!! Malmsteen imho writes like shit, but damn he can play guitar, so hopefully you get where I am coming from:) Btw love your cab packs man, keep them coming!!!!

For those who said that "maybe people who don't like him didn't listen to him play", I am a guitarist who loves guitar, and loves listening to players play, I support those that are still starting out, those who are at similar levels than myself and higher level players as well, support a ton of people in music, so yeah I listened to his wonky ass play guitar and it was weak just like the Kemper, but hey everyone has different tastes, and since some love him, I had let those people know why some of us guitar players do not....... No offense meant to his fans though, I am sure you believe he's great, just as I believe he's not:)

Great link to check out about John: http://getoffmylawnkid.blogspot.com/2010/07/bands-that-suck-balls-john-mayer.html

Last edited:
LOL yeah Malmsteen is not my favorite either, but when I covered him, I did learn some respect for his ability to play in a way that 99% of guitarist could never come close to playing..... I think the point I am making is "guitar player and song writer" are two different things, John is a great song writer, even though I don't like his work, I can't deny that fact, So there we have agreement.. But to call him a "great guitarist' compared to who? Some newb? Yes he's great compared to a newb, but compared to Petrucci or Malmsteen or Myself or others who are high level players, that makes me laugh is all... Does he write better songs than malmsteen? Yes!!!! Malmsteen imho writes like shit, but damn he can play guitar, so hopefully you get where I am coming from:) Btw love your cab packs man, keep them coming!!!!

For those who said that "maybe people who don't like him didn't listen to him play", I am a guitarist who loves guitar, and loves listening to players play, I support those that are still starting out, those who are at similar levels than myself and higher level players as well, support a ton of people in music, so yeah I listened to his wonky ass play guitar and it was weak just like the Kemper, but hey everyone has different tastes, and since some love him, I had let those people know why some of us guitar players do not....... No offense meant to his fans though, I am sure you believe he's great, just as I believe he's not:)

Great link to check out about John: Get off my Lawn Kid: Bands that Suck Balls: John Mayer

Who are you??? some average guitarist who is jealous that he will never be as good or successful? You're comparing Mayer to malmsteen and Petrucci.. LOL the average Mayer hater who thinks shredders are the most superior guitarist, you're completely clueless and that's why you'll never go far with Music.

I don't care about "great playing" if I have to endure listening to commercial easy listening sugar coated overproduced pop.

Who are you??? some average guitarist who is jealous that he will never be as good or successful? You're comparing Mayer to malmsteen and Petrucci.. LOL the average Mayer hater who thinks shredders are the most superior guitarist, you're completely clueless and that's why you'll never go far with Music.

Post #2 and still trolling hard. You'll go far around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom