Joe Satriani / Steve Morse concert last night

wogs858

Inspired
They kicked off their north american tour last night and I was blessed to see them and meet Joe. It was a great concert. I had front row, 1 seat to the left of center, and it was in one of the best venues for a concert in San Diego. Sounded great, Good acoustics, and of course very loud. I forgot my ear plugs

Steve Morse opened the show and I gotta say he rocked~ His bass player was none other than Dave L who toured with satch before. Both of them were quite incredible to watch, it was as if I was watching a tennis match, my head on a swivel......they were worth the money all by themselves! Even though I didn't know Steve's material I still enjoyed it VERY much. Several times I thought to myself .....this guy sounds like John Pettrucci. Later figuring out that it was the other way around since Pettrucci idolized Steve and you can definitely hear it. If you get the chance....check these guys!

So I got to meet Joe , he seems like a very normal guy.He signed some stuff for me. I wish I would have brought my JS for him to sign so I could sell it.....maybe for a few more bucks . Anyways met some cool people as well. Also we got to go back stage and see the gear which was maybe the best part. Looks like Joe uses Marshall JVM's , and standard stomps check the pics,

OK so I was in front row @ 20 from his amps. Loud and clear....sounded great! Loved the tone But you know what.......I LIKE THE TONE OUT OF MY AXE II BETTER! I know you'll call me crazy but that's it. He still sounded great. Often I could tell what scales Joe was playing but Steve's playing was hard for me to read....I didn't know what was coming like with Joe. Steve has so much going on ....style wise. Very very cool to watch.

I did try to upload more pics but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I don't have any more time to put into this .....I thought some of you might enjoy this. It was worth it for me to do.....kind of a once in a blue dream....I mean moon. I can't see spending $300 on a concert in the future. I just thought I'd share it with you guys, my online guitar buds.....sorry if pics are doubled and some are deleted.....computer illiterate
1148952_10201937068648716_1791741165_n.jpg1236675_10201936884924123_1901453781_n(1).jpg1174758_10201937063328583_1881631676_n.jpg1003533_10201937064128603_2028739790_n.jpg1233367_10201937060208505_1820435507_n.jpg1238210_10201937059368484_581169678_n.jpg

I have tickets in Midland TX Sept 5th! Cant wait.
4th row, I'll bring some earplugs, thanks for the review and tip!
Never seen either live before, I'll be gushing like a schoolgirl.

Very cool,like that last picture,it shows how low Joe's action is on his guitar :encouragement:

Yeah Joe has his own signature model JVM. It's better than the standard one. Cliff needs to MIMIC it!!!

Greed (7 Deadly Sins) - YouTube

Anyway, the difference with the stock JVM is that the modded Satriani model has built-in noise gates and less compression / more dynamics in the gain channels.
Both can accomplished using the available tools in the Axe-Fx.

I think $65 each (for last row) is a bit much

I got front row Vai for $65+fees

Cheapest Vai ticket is $35- cheapest Satriani is $65

I know this all is because of the venue not because of the guys themselves...

I've played $65 for Satch and Vai on G3 (front row)

All the shows at talking stick are overpriced- Cyndie Lauper/B52+GoGos/etc were like $100+

$30 concerts at talking stick are $75-100

Yea I hear you, I got tickets for Vai coming in October at Wild Horse Pass 4th row a lot cheaper. I'm new to Scottsdale so I didn't know any better. Thanks for the heads up!

Steve Morse opened the show and I gotta say he rocked~ His bass player was none other than Dave L who toured with satch before. Both of them were quite incredible to watch, it was as if I was watching a tennis match, my head on a swivel......they were worth the money all by themselves! Even though I didn't know Steve's material I still enjoyed it VERY much. Several times I thought to myself .....this guy sounds like John Pettrucci. Later figuring out that it was the other way around since Pettrucci idolized Steve and you can definitely hear it. If you get the chance....check these guys!

Assuming you mean Dave LaRue? He has been the bassist for The Steve Morse Band since the '80's, as well as being part of The Dregs reunion (both way before he worked with Satch).

He is also part of Flying Colors with Steve Morse and Mike Portnoy (and a few others).

Great bassist!

If you liked Steve he has tons music out there. I like High Tension Wires and Southern Steel, plus the Dregs stuff is all really good - he's been doing this kind of music since the early 70's :)

Thanks KDOG Glad you liked the pics, and hope you enjoy the concert as much as I did.

Assuming you mean Dave LaRue? He has been the bassist for The Steve Morse Band since the '80's, as well as being part of The Dregs reunion (both way before he worked with Satch).

He is also part of Flying Colors with Steve Morse and Mike Portnoy (and a few others).

Great bassist!

If you liked Steve he has tons music out there. I like High Tension Wires and Southern Steel, plus the Dregs stuff is all really good - he's been doing this kind of music since the early 70's :)

Yes Dave laRue that's his name......Whoa he is awesome! Some of the best playing I've seen. Makes sense that they played together since they do soo well. I'll look into those tunes you mentioned! Thanks UNIX-GUY :)

Drove up to Dallas to see the show tonight. Very disappointed Morse only played 35 minutes. Satch just hit the stage as I type this.

Back
Top Bottom