Joe Satriani Cover

Ben Randolph

Power User
Here's an example I did about a year ago. It was basically me experimenting with recording in Garageband after I got my new mixer.

No overdubs, just something I did around midnight on a whim all in one take:

Joe Satriani Cover-Cryin by Ben Randolph on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This was done with a custom patch that I tried to get as close to Satch's "The Extremist" tone as possible. I was using an Ibanez JS1200, which I no longer own. I believe I was using the Marsha BE model on this one.

Enjoy!

Nice!

Interestingly, the original track was recorded with a Zoom multifx unit that Joe used when he recorded the demo track in a hotel somewhere and he said he could never get the feel again when he tried to record it in the studio with a proper setup. Andy Johns (the producer) worked with EQ and whatnot to get the tone sounding good enough to put out on the record.

The guy could play through a dishwasher and he'd sound cool (but then I guess I'm biased!)

Toad your not biased, just dead right!!! Amazing guitar players always sound good even if its a tin can, broomstick and some strings lol. Cool equip helps achieve the specific sound they desire but everything else is all them.

Nice job Ben, sounds great and nice playing! :ugeek

Thanks.

Toad, that's amazing. I love it when guitarists get great tone with cheap gear. It just goes to show that money does not always equal tone. It's totally possible to get terrible tone through thousands of dollars worth of gear.

Back
Top Bottom