Jerry Cantrell using Axe Fx

I saw that as well. I'm curious if Nick Raskulinecz turned him onto it since Nick produced Rush and Alex Lifeson has a couple. It's awesome to see how pervasive the Axe is becoming, and it's not just endorsers, it's musicians saying they used it on their albums. I know I had read an Eric Johnson interview where he said he used it for effects on his last album.

That's awesome. Ive always had huge respect for him and his playing. IMHO he brought the guitar solo back from near extinction.

Heavy Tones:
Fish + Mesa Stereo power amp (each side feeding its own 4x12)
Uberschall
Marsha
Laney Klipp
(He said the amp setup was identical to the last album, except for the addition of the Laney Klipp)

Each amp had its own 4x12, so 5 half-stacks were blended for his base tone. Some of the cabs had 2 mics and others just one. Typically 3 passes were done through the blend: 1 hard left, 1 hard right, and 1 straight up the middle. The left & right guitars was his Rampage w/a Motor City pickup, and the middle one was some flying V that belonged to the producer. Leads and "bendy" parts (his term haha) were two different Les Pauls.

Cleans & Semi-Dirty Tones:
Axe Fx II, AC30, or a blend of the two.

Back
Top Bottom