Jazz Tone - How To Make A Strat Jazz Sound (with the AX8)

Jens

Power User
Happy New Year!

How to get a good Jazz Tone and how I get my tone in the videos are two of the questions I get most frequently. I haven't done too many videos on gear and tone, but I thought I might try to make one.

This video is quite long and discusses jazz tone or guitar tones in general as well how to get the best possible jazz sound out of a Fender Stratocaster. I am of course talking about Jazz Tone according to my taste, since this is a very very subjective topic.

In the video I cover the settings and pickup choices for the guitar, the settings I use on an amp (in my setup and also when I am using amps that are I get at a venue). I also go over a great secret trick that I like to use to get a better sound and fuller sound out of an amp. This works especially well with Fender tube ampls in my experience.

Here's a list of the content:

0:00 Intro

0:47 Jazz-Tone what is that?

1:18 Ideas about Jazz and Guitar Tone in General

1:41 The different topics covered in the video

2:16 A Quick Overview of what you hear in the video

2:43 My ’92 SRV strat

3:01 Pick Choices – The Sound of the different pickups

3:42 Why I prefer the Neck Pickup

4:17 Different combinations of Pick up and tone settings.

5:58 The most important part of the Guitar Tone

6:48 Picking Hand Position

8:14 Amp – Setup and AX8 – Signal Chain

10:25 Low FrequenciesThe Amp Bass Settings

11:27 Mid FrequenciesMid and Boost Settings

13:03 High FrequenciesTreble Settings

13:44 Fender Amps andtheir Mysterious EQ

15:23 Using Effects to geta Better Jazz Tone

15:40 Overdrive Pedal Trick

17:18 Overdrive Pedal #2

19:04 Compressor

20:39 EQ-Pedal

22:53 Like The Video? Check out My Patreon Page!

Hope you like it!

Jens

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

You referenced the "mid boost" several times but the bottom of the AX8-EDIT screen was cut off. I assume you were using the FAT switch... Which is a mid shift more than a boost, I believe.

Anyway, I'm not really a jazz guy, but I appreciate the tones and the method of your approach. My clean tones (the majority of what I play) are in a similar vein, with a bit more "hair" and treble.

And I'm an Axe Fx user, not AX8, but the concepts all apply.

Jens, your videos are some of the only Jazz related videos that don't get too bogged down in "jazzspeak" or come across as snooty. You're an absolute gem mate and this video is gold!

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

You referenced the "mid boost" several times but the bottom of the AX8-EDIT screen was cut off. I assume you were using the FAT switch... Which is a mid shift more than a boost, I believe.

Anyway, I'm not really a jazz guy, but I appreciate the tones and the method of your approach. My clean tones (the majority of what I play) are in a similar vein, with a bit more "hair" and treble.

And I'm an Axe Fx user, not AX8, but the concepts all apply.

Thank you!
Yes, I guess it is may be a shift, but the effect on the tone is a mid boost though simply by emphasizing that part of the spectrum :)
Jens

Jens, your videos are some of the only Jazz related videos that don't get too bogged down in "jazzspeak" or come across as snooty. You're an absolute gem mate and this video is gold!
Thank you Leon! That's really great to hear from a colleague!
Jens

Jens, I always enjoy your videos and this one is no exception! I have already implemented the parametic EQ mid boost like you suggested to a clean preset and it really fattened up my jazz tones. Between your suggestions and Leon's and Buddy's videos and knowledge sharing my AX8 sounds better than ever! Thanks guys!

Jens, I always enjoy your videos and this one is no exception! I have already implemented the parametic EQ mid boost like you suggested to a clean preset and it really fattened up my jazz tones. Between your suggestions and Leon's and Buddy's videos and knowledge sharing my AX8 sounds better than ever! Thanks guys!
Thanks Jason! That is really great to hear!

Jens

Back
Top Bottom