I've broken my Audeze LCD-2😫😫😫. Any alternative?

Piing

Axe-Master
A tragic accident. Don't ask me how it happened. 😰😰😰
LCD-2.jpg

These have been my favorite reference headphones for more than 10 years. A trustful and neutral replacement of studio monitors.

I made a great sacrifice spending $1,100 at that time. Really worth it, specially for the Axe-FX, but I would not like to do it again. Any suggestion?

Some reviews point to the Hifiman Edition XS, but I don't know what to trust. I would like to hear from someone that actually has first experience with the LCD-2 because I have tried many headphones, and nothing I've heard so far compares to them

Last edited:
How'd you manage that?

I let them uncovered and dismounted for cleaning and replacing pads. The powerful magnet attracted a metal piece that crushed on the fragile membrane

I've found that the driver "PCB coil" is broken at only one point. Any idea about how to fix that?

I don't know if soldering would do it, because tin lead may not attach to that aluminum conductor

LCD-2b.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Surely they have repair services? I don't have experience with the LCD-2, but a few years back I tried the LCD-X which I think is actually more expensive. At the time I preferred the Ollo S4X and have since upgraded to the Ollo S5X. 50ohm, easy to drive. rtings.com doesn't have them reviewed but here's the frequency response of my particular pair, they're extremely flat, especially in the crucial 20hz-1k range:

Scan Feb 26, 2024 at 5.21 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, what a bad day!

I want to say they do offer full driver repairs, but they're like 500ish bucks. But it's both drivers and I believe it comes with a new 3 year driver warranty.

The cost of the repair is about half the price of the headphones. And considering the shipping expenses back and forth from Thailand to the US, plus import duties and VAT (Thai customs do not forgive, even if it is a repair), it would be near o above the price of a new one.

Last edited:
The cost of the repair is about half the price of the headphones. And considering the shipping expenses back and forth from Thailand to the US, plus import duties and VAT (Thai customs do not forgive, even if it is a repair), it would be near the price of a new one.
damnnnnn man. I am sad for you. I have been on a new headphone research binge and have read all your LCD2 comments pretty recently. I know how much you enjoy those headphones.

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

I’d check with a dealer like Vintage King and see if they have (or know of) a US based headphone repair facility. I’m sure studios need them refurbished from time to time.

I found a used pair about two years ago for 600. Never thought I would ever pay that much for headphones, but thanks to reviews like yours, I took the plunge and don't regret it. You might go down that road.

I’d go the repair route… If not, I’ll do a plus one for the Ollo audios 5

I had a pair of stax electrostatic headphones I wish I’d never sold.

I don’t need another pair of headphones

I have received the Hifiman Ananda Nano ($500 on Shopee). I do not have the LCD-2 to make an accurate A/B comparison, but I am entirely satisfied with them. I've gone through my favorite reference records, and they are just perfect.

I do not miss anything from the LCD-2, even though I have been spoiled with their superb quality for more than 10 years. Furthermore, the Hifiman are more comfortable because the large ear-pads do not press the ears, and the headband is also more comfortable.

A worthy and more comfortable alternative to the Audeze LCD-2 for half the price

Hifiman Ananda Nano.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Piing,

How about buying new drivers from Audeze and replacing them?

https://www.avforums.co.za/threads/how-to-change-audeze-lcd-drivers.95519/

Thanks
Pauly

A tragic accident. Don't ask me how it happened. 😰😰😰
View attachment 135974

These have been my favorite reference headphones for more than 10 years. A trustful and neutral replacement of studio monitors.

I made a great sacrifice spending $1,100 at that time. Really worth it, specially for the Axe-FX, but I would not like to do it again. Any suggestion?

Some reviews point to the Hifiman Edition XS, but I don't know what to trust. I would like to hear from someone that actually has first experience with the LCD-2 because I have tried many headphones, and nothing I've heard so far compares to them

Seems like you're all set, but wanted to throw this into the chat - if you are wanting to mix on headphones, the Slate VSX are legit.
I'm absolutely loving them.

I have received the Hifiman Ananda Nano ($500 on Shopee). I do not have the LCD-2 to make an accurate A/B comparison, but I am entirely satisfied with them. I've gone through my favorite reference records, and they are just perfect.

I do not miss anything from the LCD-2, even though I have been spoiled with their superb quality for more than 10 years. Furthermore, the Hifiman are more comfortable because the large ear-pads do not press the ears, and the headband is also more comfortable.

A worthy and more comfortable alternative to the Audeze LCD-2 for half the price

View attachment 136506
Thank you for writing something about them! I love reading and seeing headphone stuff. Glad they are a fantastic replacement for you too!

View attachment 136506
Hey Pling. There seems to be several versions of Ananda's, what made you decide on these?

Back
Top Bottom