It Never Fails

I too have the Sustaniac on one of my guitars, but not on my main Strat. Having that capability (with all the modes) built into the Axe would be huge!

Is this even the kind of thing you *could* do in the box? Seems to me like it would require some mechanical interaction, physics, blah blah and such.
...then again, toobz.

Right after I release a firmware I always realize something I wanted to add and forgot about. I had been working on passive EQ (which sounds massive, wink, wink) and forgot to add it to the firmware release. Oh well, next week.

Dude! Seriously? Not trying to kiss your ass here but your continued dedication and support of this stuff is really pretty remarkable. A LOT of people in your shoes would sit back and ride this out or sell out. I hope you're making a ton of money and that this is all worth it and you still enjoy your life and your guitar.

One way I got some sustainiac-like behavior is to use envelope to control gain and compressor levels - when the envelope is low, boos the gain/compressor. It takes some experimentation but it's pretty cool - not exactly like a sustainiac at all but you'd be surprised what you can do. You could use the harmonizer and to blend in some higher "harmonics" based on envelope as well.

Is this even the kind of thing you *could* do in the box? Seems to me like it would require some mechanical interaction, physics, blah blah and such.
...then again, toobz.
I think you've hit it on the head. The Sustainer / eBow effect physically drives string vibration, as does mechanical / resonant feedback when standing in front of a speaker. Without energy being added, string vibrations decrease in amplitude over time. I don't think this can be overcome just in an external device. Yes, you could sample / hold the note just before it decays, but that algorithm would ignore subsequent input signals until new vibrational energy brought the volume above some trigger threshold.

What if you take a compressed + boosted (but otherwise no-effects) guitar feed in the AxeFX, route it to a separate output, amplify it just a little bit (perhaps even just 1 watt headphone amp), and use that signal to drive a tiny speaker / transducer suction-cupped to the back of the guitar? You could probably generate the same kind of harmonic feedback as you'd get from a loud amp. You also might cause microphonic feedback if your pickups aren't potted. But it wouldn't be particularly invasive as a guitar treatment, and you could experiment with the ideal placement for the driver in order to get desired results.

FYI: I discovered this in the studio with a pair of headphones. I got up from a tracking session to grab a coffee, and just left my headphones clamped over the body of my strat, which was sitting on the stand. We were listening to playback in the control room and I could *see* my guitar strings actively vibrating in the other room. I stuck a microphone up against the open back of my strat, cued up the song from the top, and tracked a direct channel of that weird ghostly sound using my tremolo springs as a primitive reverb.

Excitin' .....

Whoawww I never fail too .... Exciter is somthing I always want to ask you add and everytime forget to

EDIT : Actually I don't know what this FX does (maybe a little idea ) but his name is cool !!

Last edited:
Wow sounds good ,I'm so excited for that passive EQ. If that is what I`m thinking that would be ,I have very much benefit to few of my presets. I hope there will be in some point those Digital numbers/values for Output knobs ,then I definitely update newest firmware and test that new passive EQ. But like I was say I'm very excited for that passive EQ ,very good news can`t wait to try it.

"Actively" testing the beta now. VERY nice.

I'm excited for the extra EQ options, but I was hoping there'd be more! I heard somewhere that 15 would have a fix for the latency issues in the pitch block. The droptune function is completely unusable, which is a major bummer for me. Fingers crossed for another update!

Skipped over entire 15 firmware...was hoping this new version would be out by now so I can tweak before next rehearsal....fingers crossed as "next week" has almost come and passed.

Back
Top Bottom