It ain't heavy, it's my Axe fx

andyp13

Power User
I'm gigging quite a lot and have a six unit rack and SKB though it's very good quality it's big and bulky and with my equipment in - Axe Fx (2u), RAC12 (1u), Matrix amp (1u), TC Voicelive rack (2u). It's a tonne weight. And a real pain lugging this thing around.

What do you other gigging muso's use - has anyone split their load into two racks? I was thinking of doing this but will need to connect them together somehow etc looking for ideas as I don't want to break my back anymore.

I'm gigging quite a lot and have a six unit rack and SKB though it's very good quality it's big and bulky and with my equipment in - Axe Fx (2u), RAC12 (1u), Matrix amp (1u), TC Voicelive rack (2u). It's a tonne weight. And a real pain lugging this thing around.

What do you other gigging muso's use - has anyone split their load into two racks? I was thinking of doing this but will need to connect them together somehow etc looking for ideas as I don't want to break my back anymore.

Go to gym, eat proteins.

Working out is also gonna make you a better musician.

Wheels. Making things easier since 4000 BCE.

Just add a set of wheels to your rack and it is not only easier to transport, but also a carriage for other gear.

The rack I bought had wheels but they don't go upstairs, IV bought two 3unit racks to ease the pain

Mine's in a 4-space rack bag, accompanied only by a Fishman power unit. I bring a Yamaha DXR-12 frfr powered cab to use as a monitor (which I'd be bringing anyway, unless I know the soundman; I run my vocals through it). The whole thing is considerably lighter than a medium-to-large rig.

Last edited:
I use an SKB 6 rack unit I think it's called a flyer modal, anyway it has a place on top to keep my pc and a pull out handle with wheels works like a charm.

I use a 4RU rack bag (only the AxeFX in it), and slide the MFC-101 in there backwards during transit from home to rehearsal or gigs. I have powered CLR wedges, so amp weight is split away from the racks there. I carry the rackbag, a grocery bag with cables and 2 expression pedals and a notebook, and my guitar first. Then second trip I carry one (or two) powered monitor(s) and pole(s). The other guitarist laughs at me when he just brings his guitar and a 1x12 combo (and on a fancy day a pedalboard).

It definitely helps to split into two rack cases, even though the overall weight is greater this way.

I tried to use wheels and carts, but they are a hindrance more than help for me because of stairs which I have to struggle with all the time.

Depending on your normal method of transport a couple of 4U padded rack bags could be handy

I use one for my Axe/Matrix GT1000 (1U) and Vafam panel (1U) - dead light, pretty good protection and complete with a shoulder strap. I've carried the rack on it's strap and a guitar case in each hand into venues ... up stairs, down stairs you name it. I do have to go back a second and third time to get my gig bag (heavy coz there's a MFC in there too) and cabs though!

I drive to all gigs in my car however. I wouldn't really trust a rack bag if I had to transport my gear mixed in with other band gear in the back of a van or something.

4-space rack bag. I use a rock n roller R8 cart to haul my gear around (2x12 cab, Guitars and a bag full of cables etc.)

Working out is also gonna make you a better musician.
Not neccesarily. Playing guitar is one of those things where finger strength could actually end up being a disadvantage. That's why sometimes kids have a lot more stamina and accuracy than adults in their fretting hand; adults tend to press too hard on the neck, exhausting their muscles.
I actually have to actively counter my increased fingerstrength since I started working out by flexing the biceps while playing legato (this will release the tension in the fingers and makes me fret softer). I felt it was a lot easier to play when I was still skinny.

Use a cart with wheels for your rack if it's 6HU. I only carry a 2HU rackbag with the Axe inside and it's heavy enough already if you also carry a guitar on the other hand. To carry 6HU in one hand is asking for pain.

Last edited:
Not neccesarily. Playing guitar is one of those things where finger strength could actually end up being a disadvantage. That's why sometimes kids have a lot more stamina and accuracy than adults in their fretting hand; adults tend to press too hard on the neck, exhausting their muscles.
I actually have to actively counter my increased fingerstrength since I started working out by flexing the biceps while playing legato (this will release the tension in the fingers and makes me fret softer). I felt it was a lot easier to play when I was still skinny.

Scallop your fretboard and get used to it

same thing happened with petrucci and lynch, were getting to big and it was effecting their playing.

..Axe Fx (2u), RAC12 (1u), Matrix amp (1u), TC Voicelive rack (2u)...
Depends on what you need to do. IMO, you can live with less gear and be happier.

21622791280_ff6882385e_z.jpg

In the top 4 space is an axe-fx, a 1u digital mixing board, and guitar and vocal wireless.
The 1u digital board has mic pres, effects, compressor, gate.
In the bottom rack are mac mini and iPad to communicate with the digital board, cable for my FRFR/monitor, and PA cables for my own speakers (which I'm not using at this gig).

At this festival, I MC'd and performed solo between bands. When the next band was ready, I flipped my FRFR onto the footswitch, put that on the rack and rolled it out of the way.

I use this rig for everything. The only difference is whether I'm running the cables in the bottom rack to my PA or connecting XLR to someone else's board/PA.

21799036452_5177bc9f77.jpg

21784687096_4daab6ac12_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom