isolation software for tone matching?anyone achieved it??

I have looked up tons of software in the past and decided that the easiest way to do it was just to get them from my Xbox 360 from the Rock Band or Guitar hero Games. Its very easy to do too.

I have looked up tons of software in the past and decided that the easiest way to do it was just to get them from my Xbox 360 from the Rock Band or Guitar hero Games. Its very easy to do too.

Thats a good idea! The other place you can get guitar tracks is from the DTS surround mix on live music dvds. It is only possible with the DTS mix if the engineer has panned guitar to a unique channel which happens sometimes but not always. This won't be possible with the Dolby Surround mix.

I was curious about whether Riffstation would be useful for tone matching so I put together a few isolated segments for you guys to try tone matching. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5922051/Guitar Tones.zip

There's Hendrix, Sabbath and Dire Straits in here. You can still hear some bleed from the other instruments so I'm curious to know if it will work.

I tried to do some tone matching - the Hendrix Lead is pretty bad, the Sabbath Rhythm track sounds close to the provided MP3....

The rest came out pretty bad. I tried to match the Dire Straits with the Fender Twin and Vibrolux, as well as the JTM45. Very tinny sounding on all counts.
Please forgive the really crappy-assed playing; I just very quickly laid down a couple tracks in Reaper to demonstrate the tone match. The Hendrix MP3s, Dire Straits MP3, and Sabbath Lead MP3 all had a very "hollow" and raspy tone to them as if I were playing in a barrel. Hope this is of some value.

Just keep emailing the guys at Jammit to request whatever songs you want them to get for their app.

Other than the tons of isolated stem tracks all over the net, Jammit is your best bet to get isolated tracks.

I have Jammit and as good as it is with respect to isolated guitar tracks keep in mind that some of the tracks are not totally separated meaning that one guitar track like a rhythm track will still have two guitars double tracked on it with no way to separate them.

I tried to do some tone matching - the Hendrix Lead is pretty bad, the Sabbath Rhythm track sounds close to the provided MP3....

Thanks for trying that. It is very useful. The Sabbath rhythm sound sounds pretty good... it's a little different to the original but very useable and maybe even better. I suspect that in general, the bleed and artefacts in the isolated tracks are just too much to accurately model the sound. It's difficult to get the isolation any better but it might be possible to tweak the tone matching algorithms to deal with poorer quality samples like these. We'll keep looking into this.

It's worth noting that I had good luck in the past doing a tone match of Page's live tone from the TSRTS album, specifically from the Celebration Day intro. The match was very good and useable despite the cheers and crowd noise in conjunction with his guitar.

Thanks for trying that. It is very useful. The Sabbath rhythm sound sounds pretty good... it's a little different to the original but very useable and maybe even better. I suspect that in general, the bleed and artefacts in the isolated tracks are just too much to accurately model the sound. It's difficult to get the isolation any better but it might be possible to tweak the tone matching algorithms to deal with poorer quality samples like these. We'll keep looking into this.

Dan, I haven't used your software, but I wanted to thank you for putting in the time to comment here and put those samples together. I really appreciate any business that gets involved here and tries to help us in our quest for tone. I know your software is designed to remove guitar tracks for practicing, so this is a little different than what you might be used to, but sounds like RiffStation might be very helpful in both situations. I'm in a cover band, and I'm always trying to pick out all the little nuances of the guitar tracks, I'm going to check your stuff out today. I'm sure I'll find plenty of stuff to work on with it. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom