Is this routing possible? Guitar to analog out; Spdif in to headphone out without guitar signal.

darinj96

So I am trying to see if I can keep my portable recording / band practice rig to a minimal. I have been sending an axe analog out to digital mixer. Then doing all monitoring from the mixer headphone outs. Now, I need 1 more monitor mix and was not using the Axe headphone output at all. So, I thought maybe I could leaverage the axe headphone via spdif and not have to load up another 1u of rack space etc.

So, is it possible to run my guitar in > to analog output 2(mono) using fx loop block or anything that would work...keep that signal just guitar. Then, run a stereo mix from my mixer via spdif into the axe, route that signal by itself to the axe fx headphone output.

Thanks!

Yes it would be possible. You would need to set your Axe's input source to S/PDIF and create a row of shunts between the input and output blocks on the grid to pass the monitoring signal to the headphones on output 1. You could then use the FX Loop block and Feedback send and return blocks to create a separate loop that contains your guitar processing blocks. Like this:

Grid Row 1: Input Block ------Row of shunts--------Output Block
Grid Row 2: Input Block (not connected) Feedback Return Block----Guitar processing blocks (amp, cab, delay, etc.)---FX loop block---Feedback Send (not connected) Output Block
Grid Row 3: Input Block (not connected) use shunts to connect row 2 just before the FX Loop block to the Output block so you can hear your guitar tone in the headphones as well as the S/PDIF feed

You would then use output 2 on the Axe as your main outputs to the mixer or FOH. There are downsides to this method though. Input 2 is designed for line level signals so you might get a tiny bit more noise, and you won't get to use the front input's special sauce variable impedance circuit. Make sure you set your input level for Input 2 in the I/O menu to tickle the red with your guitar on the input meter. Also, output 2 has no balanced XLR output option.

Ok great answers both of you guys. Looks like I'll be able to make it work even with those limitations. I'm using the orion studio, which has 4 di's and inserts on 2 of them. I could mess around with throwing the axe in the insert of one of those and see how the feel is when we are recording etc.

Thanks again. I'll experiment tonight and let you guys know what I think.

D

Back
Top Bottom