Is this background hiss normal?

DTS

Experienced
Hi,

Maybe i'm paranoid, but i have to ask for others to be sure. Here is my crunch patch, where i palm mute one note and let it ring palm muted until the sound fades away. Now, you can hear little background hiss after the note has stopped ringing. Normal?

This doesn't happen in clean patches, only overdriven patches. So maybe i'm being too critical.

The clip is little loud, so set your monitor volume down first.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25064384/Väliaikaiset/Background hiss.mp3

Perfectly normal. Your using gain, and until the gate kicks in and squashes the slight hiss you'll hear it as the note decays. The more gain you use, the more hiss you'll notice. Real gainy amps tend to be noisier still. (as in real world amps that have high gain such as a DR - not really gainy AFX models).

Last edited:
Reactions: DTS
I've noticed it too. The amount varies depending on cab and/or amp used, EQ settings, and gain. More presence/treble = more of this "hiss".

What a relief! I need a drink now! :lol

Thanks guys!

No worries, it's normal.

I remember the old days of plugging my MXR Distortion Plus through a Fender Bandmaster. Talk about noise bath. Also, picked up radio and all kinds of shit. Having said that, the AXE. Is far cleaner under the same gain conditions.

yes, you have to balance the gate settings with the amount of gain you're using and your playing style. the gate can completely eliminate any and all noise if set hard enough, but it' will do so at the expense of sustain. so play with the gate settings until you find a comfortable balance.

Um, no. Yours is REALLY low volume - but it is undeniably electronic noise. Conditioner or no, I've found there's something in my house causing it. Not last night in my house, because all my fade-outs were SILENT. But sometimes not, and I'm not sure what it is here. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to....painstakingly....go through everything in the vicinity, and neutralize it. Somehow.

I have a socket in my house that makes everything hiss if it's turned on. Must be a bad earth or something. The other thing to consider is types of noise/hiss. It could be a ground loop, low input signal being amplified, or electromagnetic interference.

Back
Top Bottom