is there a new product in a near future for tube amp lovers like FX8

We wouldn’t know, but, IIRC, the FX8 didn’t sell well enough so I doubt they’d jump back into that pool.

Re: the 4CM on the FM9, have you tested the sound using just a short jumper between the Out and In? That would show whether it’s internal or external.

I had an FX8 and really struggled with it. I was moving from a TC Electronic G System. In theory, the FX8 should have been perfect for me. But I was used to having lots of buttons on the G System, and really struggled to work out how to manage switching on the FX8. In the end, I wound up getting an Axe FX2 and an MFC101. It was only in moving to the FM9 and working with the OFM9G layout and also figuring out how to use scenes that I "got it", and I often think that if I had known then what I know now, I might have had a completely different experience.

In the end, I love the FM9, and love it with my tube amps as well. So it does both, and beautifully. I don't expect that it's cost-effective enough to remove the amp modeling and make an effects-only box at a low-enough price point. The one thing that might be useful to ADD would be relay control for amp switching. However, that's a nightmare given the array of approaches in the amps. So MIDI out is very powerful, and at most requires a simple MIDI-to-switch box, which exists.

I’m using FM9 in 4CM into a Marshall 410, provided you follow the steps in the manual you shouldn’t have any tone suck at all.

I don’t..and the JVM’s are known for having fussy loops on them.

would be good to have new product for tube amp lovers like fx8 fm9 is sucking tone in 4cm
The FM9 isn’t known for sucking tone in any configuration. While it doesn’t have the switching contacts that the FX8 has, it’s superior to the FX8 for use with a tube amp. Less noise, better effects...

Let us know what ”tone suck” means to you. Post a recording that demonstrates the problem. We can help you work it out.

Last edited:
I also don't have any tone suck issues with my FM9 in 4CM. It did take some time though to adjust the send and return levels on my amp's loop so there was no change in color or volume when the loop is engaged.

It would help to know what your signal chain looks like, and what devices are involved.

I wish listed a firmware version that removed all the amp modeling and gives more space/firepower for FX. Seems like a waste of resources for folks who want to use a FAS product in 4CM with their amps to have 280+ amp models sitting there doing nothing.

I had an FX8, and I could never get it to work well with the amp I wanted to use it with. [Rivera K7] It seemed to require higher volume levels from the amp to achieve the same volume as without it, and the amp seemed to lose alot of its sound.

When I first got a FM3, I tried the same setup, and it was awesome. In fact, if I was in a situation where having a complicated setup [4CM and midi to control the amp] and dealing with weight wasn't an issue, I'd go back to the FM3 as an FX only with the Rivera.

So, after getting a chance to try out the FX8 with my Ethos Clean Fusion Deluxe, I am pretty content. I have an HX Effects too, and it's good for what I wanted out of it. Of course, I enjoy playing around with the way they try and emulate specific pedals and effects units. That is one big thing Cliff and crew gave us with the newer firmware and units. Neither of these completely make up for certain pedals, but both get at least pretty close. With more time, I'm sure I could get so much more out of the FX8 blocks, but I recall having difficulty dialing in good flanger sounds with my AX8, for instance.

I would absolutely be interested in an updated version of the FX8. Again, I'll most likely be back to amp/cab modeling in the future, but right now I'm really enjoying the ECFD and the Simplifier MKII, and using these effects modelers in 4CM (I have not needed the humbuster cables so far). Call me a Luddite, I guess... And yeah, I do miss the ability to play around with all the various amp types, but both analog modeling pedals offer enough options to cover a nice range and keep me happy. Maybe at some point I'll get better at dialing in modeled amp tones and IRs. For now, I'll actually take less choice in an attempt to simplify, and just try and focus on getting more out of the effects.

Oh yeah, and I'm definitely missing the Klon-based model. Yessss, I know. But, I got spoiled with the Warm Audio Centavo. And, does anyone else have Ethos TWE-1 (mine has the sag control)? I'd LOVE a model of that... sans hiss.

Also, I need to chime in that, after having some serious time with the FX8 (running through my ECFD), it's an excellent product. As a multi-effect pedal, it covers a massive amount of ground, but offers so much flexibility. The ability to get most of what I would like out of the sounds seems to exist. Much of it is within my graps, but like when I owned the Axe FXII or AX8, I just need to spend more time learning how to get specific sounds (thinking of Leon Todd's great Volantish block, which I wish I could access with FX8 Edit). I do still struggle with the flanger effects a bit, but some of the stock presets with flanger sound good. Years ago, I came into that from the Hartman Flanger and Strymon Orbit (also it's Mobius counterpart). I've also grown to really appreciate the Empress Nebulus. Anyway, I feel like I'll still probably get there if I keep playing around, and studying what others have been able to do.

If an updated effects-only product is ever offered, it's definitely something I'd love to have my hands on, but I can get pretty far with all the FX8 already offers.

Back
Top Bottom